B2 visitor visa extension - reasons

rka1

Registered Users (C)
My Aunt has for the first time visited us and stayed with us for 5 months until Jun'09. She went back and returned to US after 7 weeks of gap. I wished that she stays with us for approx. 1 year considering personal tragedy in her life. Last week, when she returned, immigration officer at JFK granted her 3 months stay instead of requested 6 months stay. I am planning to request an extension for her. I will be stating usual reasons viz., places that are best visted during winter and some far away places(California, Florida), extended quality stay with my family and kids etc...
When should I initiate filing for extension? Her visa expires on Nov15,2009.
Any suggestions on reasons and precautions when requesting such extensions?
Any comments and guidance is much appreciated and valued.

She returned too quickly; she appears to be attempting to live in the US on a visitor visa. Her personal situation is not the concern of the IO at the border and is not a reason for an extension. Her rapid return resulted in the short stay. Do NOT apply for an extension as it will likely be denied, and she will have even more problems entering in the future. She should not attempt to return for at least 9 months - prefereably more.

Read the forum about issues which arise when someone has done what you want to do.

Since she has been issued a "restricted" I-94, I would strongly advise you not to apply for EOS. She already created doubts in the mind of the POE officer and thus did not get an I-94 for 6 months. She risks too much by applying for EOS.

Any suggestions on reasons and precautions when requesting such extensions?
Any comments and guidance is much appreciated and valued.