B2 Visa from Ukraine

Newresident

I'm trying to invite my mother for a 30 day visit. She is 65 years old but not married. I put "widowed" on DS160 even though it was an informal marriage but I don't think it makes much difference. She owns 2 apartments and a summer house with land. She has worked as a physician for close to 40 years, and always lived in the same town. She still works part time even though she gets a small pension. Basically she has no intentions of staying in the US, at least not anytime soon.
I have a green card, so she'd have no legal basis to stay here (from Consulate's perspective). Nor could she support herself long term, and getting a medical license is not realistic at her age, not to mention the language issue. The other negative is she has no other kids. She only has a sister, and her family there.
We haven't seen each other in 27 years and while I could go for a visit, it would be very challenging to take her 3 year old only grandson on a long flight, not to mention getting all the required paperwork from the Family Court for a minor to travel.
She has an interview in a few days and we're trying to prepare as well as possible. On DS160 I indicated that she will pay for the trip so I'm assuming the support affidavit can't be relevant? I also wanted to write a letter addressed to the Consulate and attach my bank statements. Then I read other's experiences and it appears it's not even looked at. I'm wondering if being single and having only child living in the US would be an automatic denial?
Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I'm trying to invite my mother for a 30 day visit. She is 65 years old but not married. I put "widowed" on DS160 even though it was an informal marriage but I don't think it makes much difference. She owns 2 apartments and a summer house with land. She has worked as a physician for close to 40 years, and always lived in the same town. She still works part time even though she gets a small pension. Basically she has no intentions of staying in the US, at least not anytime soon.
I have a green card, so she'd have no legal basis to stay here (from Consulate's perspective). Nor could she support herself long term, and getting a medical license is not realistic at her age, not to mention the language issue. The other negative is she has no other kids. She only has a sister, and her family there.
We haven't seen each other in 27 years and while I could go for a visit, it would be very challenging to take her 3 year old only grandson on a long flight, not to mention getting all the required paperwork from the Family Court for a minor to travel.
She has an interview in a few days and we're trying to prepare as well as possible. On DS160 I indicated that she will pay for the trip so I'm assuming the support affidavit can't be relevant? I also wanted to write a letter addressed to the Consulate and attach my bank statements. Then I read other's experiences and it appears it's not even looked at. I'm wondering if being single and having only child living in the US would be an automatic denial?

Hi Newresident,

It all depends on the CO and you should also check out this website for further info https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/visit/visitor.html#documentation

In my personal experience there was no need for affidavit in a B1/B2 Visa interview.

A B2 NIV is a self sponsored visa, your mom would need to demonstrate a strong tie to her home country or wherever she lives in order to be approved.

And by the way, you should know it's not a good idea to lie on immigration forms or to an immigration officer. Your mom can't be a widow if she was never married. Little things like these can actually come back to haunt years down the road.

A B2 NIV is a self sponsored visa, your mom would need to demonstrate a strong tie to her home country or wherever she lives in order to be approved.

And by the way, you should know it's not a good idea to lie on immigration forms or to an immigration officer. Your mom can't be a widow if she was never married. Little things like these can actually come back to haunt years down the road.
The intention wasn't to lie or mislead. It was a common law marriage and they lived together for 25 years. I will tell her to clarify this during interview.