B2 Newbie

aussieguy

Thought I'd post about a few questions I have because it seems I'm being told so many different things.

Circumstances are this. I'm an Australian citizen, 24 years old. Have a partner in Seattle. Recently granted a Canadian Temporary Work Permit so will be residing there as of August 2011. Wishing to apply for B2 visa so that I can visit my partner in Seattle, while I'm in Vancouver.

1. When I apply for the B2 visa, is it multiple-entry for the validity of the visa itself?
2. Am I eligible to still enter the USA under the VWP?
3. Being only 24 years old, I am wondering what my "ties abroad" would be - don't rent or own my house. Living with the parents still. ?

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do you want to apply for a B-2 visa when you can use VWP? Are you intending to visit for more than 90 days?

1. When I apply for the B2 visa, is it multiple-entry for the validity of the visa itself?
2. Am I eligible to still enter the USA under the VWP?
3. Being only 24 years old, I am wondering what my "ties abroad" would be - don't rent or own my house. Living with the parents still. ?

Because I've been told by the Canadian US Consulate and the Sydney US Consulate that my situation requires a B2 Visa. It even advises me so on their website.
Hxxp://canberra.usembassy.gov/vwp/mexico_canada.html

I don't want to run the risk of being denied at the border. And believe me, I've argued my case to both consulates that I can still technically use the VWP, but they've said
on many occasions, you require a B2.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so you will be in Canada on their Working Holiday Program? It seems, the US state department wants such folks to get a B-2 visa. Well then apply for one. I am guessing you will be granted one with multiple entries allowed.

Because I've been told by the Canadian US Consulate and the Sydney US Consulate that my situation requires a B2 Visa. It even advises me so on their website.
Hxxp://canberra.usembassy.gov/vwp/mexico_canada.html

I don't want to run the risk of being denied at the border. And believe me, I've argued my case to both consulates that I can still technically use the VWP, but they've said
on many occasions, you require a B2.

Thanks for your replies Triple Citizen!

Just got one more question,

I still live with my parents, so is a letter signed by them stating that I am living there ok to submit??

Just letting you know that I just went to the consulate for my interview and was approved for a 5 year B2 visa. For those wondering about the whole WHP Canada/USA thing, drop me a line if you've got any questions! :)