B2 at POE

b2_visa

My friend gets a 6 months B2 visa, but at Point of Entry , the inspector wrote NO COS EOS on the I94, he said that means no change of status, no extend of stay. My friend came here in the past several times, and each time left in time without any status violation and each time applied B2 extension without any problem. My question is that what's the implication of these markers? It that saying even there is no way to extend the stay if he intends to, or in another words he cannot apply for extension, even if applied it will deined anyway by INS (? who is handling these anyway)? What about the NO COS? Any insight, thanks

Originally posted by b2_visa
My friend gets a 6 months B2 visa, but at Point of Entry , the inspector wrote NO COS EOS on the I94, he said that means no change of status, no extend of stay. My friend came here in the past several times, and each time left in time without any status violation and each time applied B2 extension without any problem. My question is that what's the implication of these markers? It that saying even there is no way to extend the stay if he intends to, or in another words he cannot apply for extension, even if applied it will deined anyway by INS (? who is handling these anyway)? What about the NO COS? Any insight, thanks

INS (now BCIS) does not like visitors applying for extension of status beyond 6 months. To prevent this from happening again, they sometimes dis-allow EOS upfront. That is what has happened to your friend. Remember that B2 is a temporary visa, and temporary in BCIS view is less than 6 months.
Same applies for Change of status also. If one comes to US on B2 and immediately decides to apply for a F1 or H1 visa, they are violating the sworn statement they made on their B2 visa application (Do you intend to study in US? Work in US?)

If your friend applies for EOS, it will most likely be denied he will have to attach acopy of his I-94 which clearly has the annotation "NO EOS/COS" on it.

He should probably expore other visa options.

Thanks for answer my question. There is no intention to study or work. No intention to F1/H1. Just a possibilty of applying B2 extension, he is visiting here. The inspector can just annonate with NO COS/EOS at POE is the first time I heard about this and simply deny people's right for applying extension. But from this board, sounds like B2 extension is still routinely applied and granted. For NO EOS annotation, is there any memo from BCIS, since I can't find any related INS regulation from their site, or just a practice is been in place for long time ( I know nothing about, that's why I came to here to solicit advise or similar story ).

What do you mean other visa options? Or there is no way to extend B2?

Originally posted by b2_visa
Thanks for answer my question. There is no intention to study or work. No intention to F1/H1. Just a possibilty of applying B2 extension, he is visiting here. The inspector can just annonate with NO COS/EOS at POE is the first time I heard about this and simply deny people's right for applying extension. But from this board, sounds like B2 extension is still routinely applied and granted. For NO EOS annotation, is there any memo from BCIS, since I can't find any related INS regulation from their site, or just a practice is been in place for long time ( I know nothing about, that's why I came to here to solicit advise or similar story ).

What do you mean other visa options? Or there is no way to extend B2?

The immigration inspector has the discretion to set the terms of your stay in the US. He also has the authority to deny admission and put you in the next flight back home if he is convinced that the visitor has intentions other that what is premitted under the visa.

B2 extension is applied and granted, not for multiple visits.
I don't think BCIS will grant B2 extensions every time when there have been cased of previous B2 extensions. Again, this is entirely discretionary.
Can your friend show that he has a NEED to stay here for more than 6 months? Is that a genuine reason (as far as INS/BCIS is concerned)? Remember that B2 is a visa issued mainly to tourists and is based on the presumption that the preson has NO intention to abandon his residence in his home country and will return to his home country at the end of the period authorized. If he is seen to visit US many times in a short period and that he spent more time in the US than in his home country, he is violating that presumption.

By other visa option I meant like H1, etc.

Thanks again for answer my questions. He certainly spent more time in home country than here. From what I have learned, it's till possible to get extension if there is need, genuine reason.