B1 Visitor to permanent resident

buklau

What happened if I (us citizen) marry to my girlfriend (b1/b2 visitor's visa and already here in USA), can she stay?

I called the US immigration center today and they told me yes she can stay after they receive their marriage certificate. Then the next step is to file a I-130 $420 + I-485 $1070 together and request for a change of status (as long as both form is filed, she can extend her stay maybe?). The next step is to file the adjustment packet includes I-131 (travel), I-765 (employment), I-864 and I-693.

We are currently still dating each other until beginning of November where she have to leave. She came here in early June and her main intention is to visit her sister here but later met me. Two years ago she came to USA to visit her sister. I plan to date a little bit longer to make sure we are compatible with each other before both of us get into marriage so we plan to have a decision somewhere in middle of September. Are there anything else I need to know about before I have to make this decision?

Thank You

Since she did not know you before she entered the US as a visitor, she can apply for adjustment (not change) of status after you both get married. She can then stay beyond the expiry of her I-94 until the AOS is adjudicated.

What happened if I (us citizen) marry to my girlfriend (b1/b2 visitor's visa and already here in USA), can she stay?

I called the US immigration center today and they told me yes she can stay after they receive their marriage certificate. Then the next step is to file a I-130 $420 + I-485 $1070 together and request for a change of status (as long as both form is filed, she can extend her stay maybe?). The next step is to file the adjustment packet includes I-131 (travel), I-765 (employment), I-864 and I-693.

We are currently still dating each other until beginning of November where she have to leave. She came here in early June and her main intention is to visit her sister here but later met me. Two years ago she came to USA to visit her sister. I plan to date a little bit longer to make sure we are compatible with each other before both of us get into marriage so we plan to have a decision somewhere in middle of September. Are there anything else I need to know about before I have to make this decision?

Thank You