B1 to H1 Transfer Procedure

dandy4u

Hi All,
I have applied for H1 Visa on April 1st 2008 and got the lottery process cleared and got the approval code from the employer.
I have not gone for the stamping yet. Right now I'm in US on a B2 Visa for a period of 6 months. Can I use my H1 approved Visa
and look for a job? I'm raising this because I heard stamping is required only to enter US and if u are in US You can use your approved
H1 to find a job. And once I have a job I can get it stamped from Canada (I was supposed to get it stamped in Chennai consulaste).

Please guide me asap.

Thanks,
Dandy

If your H-1B petition is approved, the earliest date that you can may start approved H-1B employment is October 1, NOT now, and not for another employer. ("Can I use my H1 approved Visa and look for a job? ")

If your B2 Visa will expire before October 1, you should leave US and wait in your home country to apply for H1B visa to enter in US to work in H1B satus. Because you are not F-1 student, and you not have enjoy the "cap gap" for F-1 student. (also see http://www.greencardapply.com/news/news08/news08_0507.htm)

Change of status from B2 to H1 is mostly not allowed. You can look for jobs, but remember on H1 you already have a job. Your employer needs to pay you from October 1 if you are in the US on H1 status.
Your status is determined by I-94. You can only stay in the US as long as your I-94.