B1/B2 to F-1 (Sophomore) need to go for stamping

goudgattu78

Registered Users (C)
HI all,

I have been in Canada (Toronto) in 2004 and came to US in May 2005 for a visit purpose. later I applied for a university where I got my I-20 . And I got it approved from USCIS and continued my under graduation here at the University. I have b1/B2 Visa in my passport and F-1 approval notice in hand. i never left the country thereafter. now thinking to go to my home country iin Dec 2007. So before that I am thinking of going to Canada or Mexico to get F-1 stamped.My concern is

1) Would India be a better place to get the Visa stamped? Or Canada/Mexico would also work fine? I mean where would it be easy? The main concern will be can I get it stamped other than the home country?

2) Are there any chances of rejections? Because I came to US as a visitor and later settled here to continue my studies.

3) Please let me know how cautious I need to be and what are the relevant documents that I need to take in to the consulate?

4) Do I need a bank statement from my home country showing sufficient funds to continue my education? i already finished 2 semesters over here. And I already paid my tuition.

THanks for the answers in advance.

1) Yes. It is always better to apply from home country as this shows strong ties to your country.

2) It should be fine. Do you have relatives in the US?

3) Just be calm and confident. For docs, just look at the consulate or other similar post on this website (it's so helpful).

3) You will always need financial proof of ability to fund education. Who is funding you?

Thanks Khattar

1) Could you tell me what is meant by "ties"?

2) Yes I stay with my sister and her husband who is a new ( first/recently started ) H-1 B holder.

3) I have some on campus job and take help from my sister and get some money from my father who is in India. How much money do I need to show the Visa officer in the bank statement.