B1/B2 (multiple) application

sambro

Hi Friends,

I have my mother here in Canada (Indian citizen) for whom I want to apply B1/B2 Visa. Is it OK to fill DS-160 and look for appointment in 2 separate countries, in this case India and Canada. I have tentative travels plans to travel to India but if I am able to get appointment here first in Canada, I would like to not go. Whole Idea is to check if I can get appointment in Canada first or India and that is where I get her visa processed?

Any feedback would be appreciated if this is OK to do?

Well - you need to pay the mrv fee before you schedule the appointment and the mrv fee is only valid for one country, so you’d have to take the chance an appointment would be available in Canada, or accept you’d pay another fee if it isn’t and need to schedule in India. To help you decide you may want to check what the visa wait times at the various consulates are https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/wait-times.html
A quick look indicates both countries are only accepting emergency appointments for B visas, but I have not checked every single consulate.

Generally it is advised to apply for a B visa in the country of residence because it is harder to prove ties to home from another country.

Thank you @SusieQQQ ! I am OK to pay the fees just that I was wondering if they perceive this negatively on application. In terms of wait time, I am not sure I can trust the above information as I have known people who got date for B1/B2 processing (non emergency)

Yes, if they think you are ”consulate shopping” it can be perceived negatively. Will your parents be comfortable explaining the situation if asked in the interview?