[B]I-864 - Confusing .... need help[/B]

mohit_chopra1

Registered Users (C)
I-864 - Confusing .... need help

HI everyone!
My case: My wife (USC) filing for me. She does not have a job right now as we are still in process of looking for new job after she moved to NJ from VA after marriage. So I cant use her income to sponsor me. Hence I am using my income and filing I-864 A along with I-864. Now my question is regarding filling the I-864 A. I am not sure about which parts to be filled by whom. Please let me know if my guess is right about the different parts of the forms.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Form I-864A

Part 1. Information on Sponsor's Household Member or Sponsored Immigrant/Household Member - I believe its my wife.

Part 2. Sponsor's Promise - I believe its me.

Part 3. Household Member's Promise - I believe its my wife

Part 4. Sponsored Immigrant/Household Member's Promise - I am not sure if it is my wife

Part 5. Sponsor's Signature - I am sure its my signature

Part 6. Household Member's or Sponsored Immigrant/Household Member's Signature - I am sure its my wife's signature.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Also, I only have tax returns for last 2 years as I cant find the 3rd year tax reurn to be attached along with my W2 and employment letter to I-864A. Will it be ok. I hope I dont get and RFE for that.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think u got it all wrong. U are sponsored immigrant/household member. Your wife is your sponsor.

Thanks Glorya. I think you are right. I guess the actual order is:

Form I-864A

Part 1. Information on Sponsor's Household Member or Sponsored Immigrant/Household Member - Me

Part 2. Sponsor's Promise - My wife.

Part 3. Household Member's Promise - Me

Part 4. Sponsored Immigrant/Household Member's Promise - I am not sure if it is me or should I leave it blank.

Part 5. Sponsor's Signature - My wife.

Part 6. Household Member's or Sponsored Immigrant/Household Member's Signature - Me

Please let me know should I complete section 4 also.

Thanks.

I think you should.
Then your wife signs Part 5 + date and you sign Part 6 + date. You have to notarized it too.

I believe that you should fill out part 4 and leave part 3 blank. You are the sponsored immigrant. Part 3 is for another household member, if you had one, who is promising to support you. You should not fill out both parts. Look at part 6. It asks for the signature of household member or sponsored immigrant/household member.