B-2 and I-84 issurance valid period

punktux

B-2 and I-94 issurance valid period

Hi All

After 1 month of namely 'additional administrative process' required for my B-2 visa(I am Chinese nationality), I was finally informed by the Embassy in London to submit my passport for visa issurance within 3 months.

But then I was wondering the following 3 things:

1. When will my visa start then? from the date I had interview in embassy or the day they receive my passport and stamp it. If it's the first case, doesn't mean my visa period is shortened by 1 month? If it's the second
case, doesn't it mean the latter I submit, the longer visa period I get? (I am not travelling within 2 months,so if i submit 2 months later, I won't lose anything.)

2. When I arrive in America at POE, how many days will I be given to stay by default? If I tell them I need to stay for 4 months, will they reject my request and only give me 1 month to stay? Or, Should I tell them less than 2 months so that they wont be suspecious on my intent.

Thank you very much for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
another question is do I need to show the officer at POE my return ticket to home country?

by the way, I entered US in 2003 but It seems I didnt have any stamp that states the duration of my legal stay(I-94). I only found a stamp saying it's a class B-2 and date of admittance.

1. Ur visa should start from stamp date, that is the norm but can be anything they desire. Also since u asked for 3 months, does not automatically mean a stamp of 3 month validity, it can be less, and equally probable a 10 yr multiple entry.

2. To answer the second part, the stamp defines thw window within which u can enter USA. But the I-94 which you will recieve at POE will determine how long u actually stay. Whereas you can travel any day within the validity of ur travel, the duration of stay is defined only by the dtaes on I-94. so even if the stamp expires u can stay till I-94 expires. But have to leave/apply extension before I-94 expires, even if the stamp is valid.

You have to have really good reason to ask

to stay for 4 months, like attend exam and get prepared for it. Be ready to provide info on where are you going to live and do you have enough assets.
Common practice now, if you come even for 10 day visit they would stamp 1-94 for 6 mo validity .
But here is the catch: next time they might ask what were you doing all that time in the US. So use discretion.