Awkard Situation before the interview

extraterra

Registered Users (C)
Hi,
I have my interview scheduled for next week. I have unfortunately discovered only yesterday that I might have broken my continuos residency requirement because I was not in US after I filled for naturalization. When I filled back in March 2005 I had all the requirements, but then I left abroad for a consultancy job for about 11 months, working for an international organization (not pure American one, but of which US is a member) , believing that they would consider only the time before I applied, not after.
Now, I wonder if I should go to the interview at all and what it should be done, ie to withdraw my application formally and wait for another 2-3 years (based on marriage to US citizen)?
Thank you all.

but did u apply for n470?
also dude you have allready paid the fees...you dont loose anything going there....go there and tell her that it was due to delay of uscis (>1 year of processing)...
you cant put your life/career on hold for some Bureaucracy....try,u never loose anything in trying at the most they will reject your application...

not tht they are going to put u in prison and u have to wait for 3 yrs now anyways...so give it a shot...

extraterra said:
Hi,
I have my interview scheduled for next week. I have unfortunately discovered only yesterday that I might have broken my continuos residency requirement because I was not in US after I filled for naturalization. When I filled back in March 2005 I had all the requirements, but then I left abroad for a consultancy job for about 11 months, working for an international organization (not pure American one, but of which US is a member) , believing that they would consider only the time before I applied, not after.
Now, I wonder if I should go to the interview at all and what it should be done, ie to withdraw my application formally and wait for another 2-3 years (based on marriage to US citizen)?
Thank you all.
Instead of waiting for them to deny your application, simply withdraw the N-400, that way you will not have negative consequences associated with application denial. (One negative consequence is that the next time you will have to answer yes to the question-- Have you been denied any application?)
query11, please desist from doling out opinions on topics you don't know about.

N470 is for an absence of one year or longer and has to be filed before departure (except for religious workers). But I found one interesting article there stating that an international organization of which US is member qualifies as well for the exemption. So giving the fact that I was absent less than a year, it could serve as a good argumernt. Thanks query11.

hipka said:
Instead of waiting for them to deny your application, simply withdraw the N-400, that way you will not have negative consequences associated with application denial. (One negative consequence is that the next time you will have to answer yes to the question-- Have you been denied any application?)

So are you the suggesting to give up for now? It is unclear about the result, because on one side I am supposed to have continuos residency after n-400 application, but then N470 is for one year or longer absence.
Also, how would I stop the application from being processed?

I would go to the interview and explain it to the IO, you did not lie on the continous residency part when you signed and mailed your application, If your record is clean, everything is legit and the IO is nice enough, you might get approved.

It's not like you've done serious crimes or convicted of illegal activities after you applied.

I would bring all documents regarding your trips to the interview.

Last edited by a moderator:
You may be able to prove continuous residence based on the documents listed in the naturalization guide.

---

The Guide to Naturalization has the following sections
What if I was outside the United States for between 6 and 12 months? If you
leave the United States for more than 6 months, but less than 1 year, you have broken or disrupted your “continuous residence” unless you can prove otherwise.
Read the “Document Checklist” in the back pocket of the Guide to find out what information you must give to us to prove you did not break your “continuous residence.”

Document Checklist:
If you have taken any trip outside of the United States that lasted for 6 months or more since becoming a Permanent Resident,
send evidence that you (and your family) continued to live, work, and/or keep ties to the United States, such as:
q An IRS tax return “transcript” or an IRS-certified tax return listing tax information for the last 5 years (or for the last 3 years if
you are applying on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen)
q Rent or mortgage payments and pay stubs.

So what if they deny,they are not going to put him in prison.....he is not lyeing...
he has given the facts....and more important of all interview is the bridge which fills the lengthy gap from ur time of application to your oath...this is where u update your case and the iv reviews your case.....
he is not losing anything,if he gains he gains a lot....

the worst scenario if they deny your application,they are going to deny it on terms of continuos residency,trust me every year there are tons of ppl whose application gets rejected due to this coz and they fill another one when they are eligible.

when you have paid 400$ for a legal immigrants basic right(which is ought to be free!), make sure the uscis works for it!!! :D

hipka said:

Apologies, I read that as 11 months before filing natz. application. You can go ahead and explain to the officer during the interview that you did not intend to break ties to the US by showing tax returns, property etc.

apologies accepted...

hipka said:
Apologies, I read that as 11 months before filing natz. application. You can go ahead and explain to the officer during the interview that you did not intend to break ties to the US by showing tax returns, property etc.

where on earth is tht question
have u ever been denied a application....

so what were you talking about doling out opinios on topics i dont know about...where on earth did u find the have u ever been denied question???
why this personal attack against me?

hipka said:

Hi extraterra,

I just wanted to find out if you stayed outside the US continuously for 11 months and never came back or visited US? Can it make any difference if you came to US during your vacation or your family and friends continued to stay here. What office did you file your application in, NSC and DO?

Sufian said:
Hi extraterra,

I just wanted to find out if you stayed outside the US continuously for 11 months and never came back or visited US? Can it make any difference if you came to US during your vacation or your family and friends continued to stay here. What office did you file your application in, NSC and DO?
I stayed continuously for 11 months. Applied orriginaly in one state and then asked to relocate my file to another, where the interview will now take place. My wife was with me all the time, we both work in that field, and had our stuff with a friend and then with my in-laws, where my current residency is.

Interview passed

Hi,
Thank you guys for support. I passed the interview this morning without any problems. It took a while for the IO to calculate all my days in and out, but in the end it was fine and I am ready for the oath in only 5 days!
Just remember that when you have all other requirements, the break of continuos residency counts less. :D

All the best and good luck to everyone!

extraterra said:
Hi,
Thank you guys for support. I passed the interview this morning without any problems. It took a while for the IO to calculate all my days in and out, but in the end it was fine and I am ready for the oath in only 5 days!
Just remember that when you have all other requirements, the break of continuos residency counts less. :D

All the best and good luck to everyone!

I am so glad you did not take the advice for withdraw your interview.

see if you listened someone who advised you to withdraw your interview, you would have sit in your room wondering all kind of what-ifs.

Indeed...

ocworker said:
I am so glad you did not take the advice for withdraw your interview.

see if you listened someone who advised you to withdraw your interview, you would have sit in your room wondering all kind of what-ifs.

From what I've seen lately at the INS offices, it looks that they changed their approach a bit, and when it comes to Naturalization they give you the bennefit of doubt.
Thanks Ocworker!