Awaiting naturalization interview

lordalmighty

Registered Users (C)
hi guys,
the forum has been exteremely useful to me although I am a little concerned that I wasnt too proactive in my citizenship interview preparation.
Couple of issues that I have, firstly I am over 25 , did not register in the selective service system while I was a PR although I have valid documentation that I was attending my university in India for most of that period , was unaware of the need to register and therefore did not intentionaly not register.
Also will apply for status information letter from sss, however only 2 weeks to go 4 the interview , not sure if I wld have it in hand when I go for the nterview.
Secondly my address on the tax return documents and my naturalization process are different, wld that be of any consequence?? dont have a really valid explanation for the same.
What kind of questions can I expect in the above matters,
Also anybody with experience of taking their own attorney for the interview, does that really help?

I would get on the ball with the sss. Get a letter from them stating that you are not registered ASAP. They are very corteous and explain your situation!!! In the interview, just explain to the examiner that you did not know about the requirement to register. They cannot deny you your case based on that. It's a very common ommission, and the law states that you cannot be denied a fedral benefit based on an individual's 'accidental' failure to register. About the tax papers don't worry. Some people have different addresses for their tax papers. It's no big deal...Just be prepared to explain why... Sometimes if you move a lot, then you give a relative's address so that you don't have to deal with it...

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks germana

hey germana , thanks 4 the encouraging words.
Well I just got gr8 news 2 day.
My lawyer had infact made me sign up for sss in 1997 and even has the card, so thats taken care of
also I obtained the 1722 form documentation of my IRS transcript,
So I guess I shld be all set.
Any other paperwork any1????
just dont want 2 be delayed/denied over something trivial

Misc

I forgot to include traffic tickets on my application... I decided to get my records from the state showing my violations...I intend to disclose them on the interview if they ask me specifically!!!
Study for the exam!!! get the 100 q's guide from USCIS. They are only a guide and they could ask you in a similar manner. For example, one of the q's says who were the US enemies in WWII. I read a thread in which somebody failed the test because the examiner asked, who were our allies??? (France, England and Russia)...That was a totally legal question, even though that was not the original question from the 100 guide....Good Luck!!!