Automatic Revalidation

Thomas_Varghese

Registered Users (C)
Hi All:
I came to US on H1 visa and before the expiration I changed my status to F1 visa. I donot have an F1 stamping in my passport.

Is it possible for me to land in Canada and complete my immigration formalities and return to US with automatic revalidation? Or it applies only to H1 visa category?

Anybody with similar experience?

Appreciate any kind of reply.

Regards,
Thomas.

Thomas_Varghese said:
Hi All:
I came to US on H1 visa and before the expiration I changed my status to F1 visa. I donot have an F1 stamping in my passport.

Is it possible for me to land in Canada and complete my immigration formalities and return to US with automatic revalidation? Or it applies only to H1 visa category?

Anybody with similar experience?

Appreciate any kind of reply.

Regards,
Thomas.

Here are some links which might be helpful:

http://www.upenn.edu/oip/iss/visa/travel/revalidation.html

http://www.studentaffairs.cmu.edu/oie/news/0209303.cfm

http://www.oiss.yale.edu/visa/vrevl.htm

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thomas,

You will be okay.....AVR applies to any visa status, it is not specific to H1.
Make sure that your I-94 is valid though....

Thanks. One more question:
If we can enter back in AVR, is it possible to go to Canada. Complete PR formalities. Then goto India from there. Come back to Canada. Then re-enter US with AVR?

I know this is not the right way to do. But I can avoid the horror of getting my F1 rejected from Canada/India US Embassy.

Please let me know your thoughts?

Regards,
Thomas.

Thomas_Varghese said:
Thanks. One more question:
If we can enter back in AVR, is it possible to go to Canada. Complete PR formalities. Then goto India from there. Come back to Canada. Then re-enter US with AVR?

I know this is not the right way to do. But I can avoid the horror of getting my F1 rejected from Canada/India US Embassy.

Please let me know your thoughts?

Regards,
Thomas.

I thought about that too. Depending on how you look at it, one can argue if you are nullifying the rule or not. However what matters is how the officer at the US border interprets it, if they find out. Any other thoughts on this..

I would be more concerned about how you are going to enter back in Canada as it is not like you will recieve your PR card right away. To get back in Canada, you will need to apply for another visa from the Canadian authorities in India as it is my understanding that the visa stamp for PR in your passport is only good for one entry.

Secondly, when you enter India, they shall put their own entry and exit stamp on your passport which will be easily detected by the US authorities. Even though there is not much information on this topic and I am sure lot of us have thought about it, I have a feeling that if this was something that was do-able, lot of people would have done it already... :)
Also remember, lot of the AVR rules were made stricter as it was felt that people are misusing a priviledge.

So, do it at your own risk and please post your experience.

Stoned!

Thomas,

The theory posted by "StonedAnt" is okay, but you do not really need to pay attention to it.

The reason? Here it is: The AVR applies only to the countries who share the border with the US, i.e. Canada and Mexico (and Bahamas and US Virgin Islands), Therefore, if you leave the North American continent, you CANNOT use the AVR...period..that's the rule...

Hope this helps...

To re-enter US under AVR, in additon to the the valid I-797 H1B approval notice, are we also required to carry LC form that was submitted to the USCIS as part of H1B application? or just the H1B approval is fine?

Thanks
ind

LC is not required...Just the valid I-94, your valid 797 and the expired visa in your passport...

indgc123 said:
To re-enter US under AVR, in additon to the the valid I-797 H1B approval notice, are we also required to carry LC form that was submitted to the USCIS as part of H1B application? or just the H1B approval is fine?