automatic citizenship after 25 years?

jubilee

Registered Users (C)
old freind I know him..everytime I ask him:my man when you gonna apply for citizenship?he answer:I'm not worry about I'm gonna have it automatic after 25 years.
our man he dead serious about getting his citizenship automatic and he have his green card since 1976!!!
:D

jubilee said:
old freind I know him..everytime I ask him:my man when you gonna apply for citizenship?he answer:I'm not worry about I'm gonna have it automatic after 25 years.
our man he dead serious about getting his citizenship automatic and he have his green card since 1976!!!
:D

It is NOT automatic citizenship. Just that they do not have to demonstrate that they understand English. They take the history and government tests in their own native languages.

There are special rules for some Hmongs who fought for the CIA during the Vietnam conflict.

Last edited by a moderator:
bringslite said:
One can also get a waiver from test and English requirements based on age!

No. The test requirment is not waived this way. English may be waived, but age alone is not sufficient. They require BOTH age AND length of LPR residence.

You have to be

(a) older than 50 AND have been a LPR for more than 20 years; or

(b) older than 55 AND have been a LPR more than 15 years;or

(2) older than 65 and HAVE been LPR for more than 20 years.

In the first two cases, you take the normal civics test in your own language. In the last case you take a special (easy) version of the test in your language.

Unfortunately time spent asylee status does not count.

There is also a disability exception which is hard to win.

The above rules are inflexible. Congress makes them.

A point of clarification: even for Hmong veterans who worked for the CIA only the English test was waived. They still had to take the civics test (the easy version) in their language.

For adults there is really no such thing as automatic citizenship.

"Automatic" citizenship is only obtained by :
1. birth on US soil or its territories (jus soil rule) with exception of diplomat children who are not entitled to US citizenship upon birth in the US
2. birth to US citizen parent (if parent is a naturalized citizen certain residency rules for US parents apply in order for those children to become US citizen, of course if those children were born outside US)
There is no such thing like "automatic citizenship" for any PR , no matter when they came to US and how long they have been PR.
For ALL PR same requierements apply, like continous residency, physical presence, good moral character, attachment to the US Constitution , etc. No exception regarding these general requierements aplies to any PR.
However like mentioned above, exceptions (waiver for testing) are being made. But these exceptions apply only to testing on English literacy and Civic/History test.
P.S. just an observation:
if he has his GC since 1976 how come he did not become USC in 2001?
1976 + 25 years = year 2001
The answer is very simple:
There is no "automatic" citizenship for PRs.

antonio2 said:
P.S. just an observation:
if he has his GC since 1976 how come he did not become USC in 2001?
1976 + 25 years = year 2001
The answer is very simple:
There is no "automatic" citizenship for PRs.
no antonio2 ..the man know that he need to apply first.
he mean by "automatic" that his application gonna be approved automatic .
he believe after 25 years he have 0 % chance of denial.

Ok jubilee, got you!!
But, how come he did not apply back in 2001? Or 2002? Or now? According to his " 25 years theory" , he could have become citizen 5 years ago. But I will tell you something my friend.
Such thing like "0% chance of denial" and I'll be straight up honest with you makes me laugh. Not at your friend but at his naivity to accept rumors about something that a friend of mine told friend of mine who got it from another friend (wow what a sentence :)
No all jokes at side, his application can be denied just like anybody elses. He would have to go to interview just like any PR , he would have to proof that he meets ALL naturalization requierements except testing which he could avoid by requesting a waiver. It absolutely plays no role at all who many years you have been a PR prior applying for citizenship.For instance, a felony conviction in the past would disqualify him for applying and barr him from becoming citizen for good, and if you are following recent debates in US Senate about immigration bills they are introducing and ready to vote on, they are trying to widen the term aggravated felony so more "less serious crimes" would fell into the category of aggravated felony and barr you 4ever from becoming USC.
So long story short, being PR for 25 years or whatsoever has absolutely no influence on approving or denying your N-400 application. In that sense he is being treated just like any other PR with 1 exception, he is eligible for waiver for testing.

Urban legends abound on the Internet. :rolleyes:

A felony will not only bar an alien from becoming a citizen, but will most likely lead to the alien's deportation regardless of how long he has had that green card (there is no relief for people guilty of aggravated felony).

Likewise the naturalization examiner has both the inclination and knowledge to review an applicant's prior immigration history. This is in response to an earlier post today. If they find evidene of immigration fraud they will begin deportation proceedings.

antonio2 said:
Ok jubilee, got you!!
But, how come he did not apply back in 2001? Or 2002? Or now? According to his " 25 years theory" , he could have become citizen 5 years ago. But I will tell you something my friend.
Such thing like "0% chance of denial" and I'll be straight up honest with you makes me laugh. Not at your friend but at his naivity to accept rumors about something that a friend of mine told friend of mine who got it from another friend (wow what a sentence :)
No all jokes at side, his application can be denied just like anybody elses. He would have to go to interview just like any PR , he would have to proof that he meets ALL naturalization requierements except testing which he could avoid by requesting a waiver. It absolutely plays no role at all who many years you have been a PR prior applying for citizenship.For instance, a felony conviction in the past would disqualify him for applying and barr him from becoming citizen for good, and if you are following recent debates in US Senate about immigration bills they are introducing and ready to vote on, they are trying to widen the term aggravated felony so more "less serious crimes" would fell into the category of aggravated felony and barr you 4ever from becoming USC.
So long story short, being PR for 25 years or whatsoever has absolutely no influence on approving or denying your N-400 application. In that sense he is being treated just like any other PR with 1 exception, he is eligible for waiver for testing.