Australian PR vs GreenCard Req for an advise

yougotme

Registered Users (C)
Hi Everyone,

I already have an australian PR.
Im currently living in US (h1)
my green card is now processing I got thru Labor certification stage
applying for I140 EB2 category. I dont know how long will this greencard thing will take. In the mean time I\'m running out of time for Australian PR
meaning to further renew or to get Austarlian Citizien ship I need to live 2 yrs as PR in Australia. what should I do ? I dont want to loose my Aus PR I want keep my options open.
the reason is there is a lot of uncertainity in getting US green card (such as I have to keep up my current job... market conditions all factors)

what do you people suggest go to Austaralia or forget Australia wait for green card live in US

Renew your Aussie PR

Hi,

I am currently waiting on my 1-485 to come thru ... I had been away from Australia for about 4 1/2 yrs when I renewed my PR. I was slightly borderline in terms of being awy from Australia for more than 5 yrs.

I wrote to the Australian INS indicating that I was gathering valuable experience whilst in the USA (IT work) and I would certainly be quite marketable when I come back to Australia. Also - now don\'t laugh - I mentioned in my letter that I missed Rugby+Cricket and how proud I was of the Australian world champions!!

I received my renewal 10 days later. Good luck!

How earlier than expiration date did you apply for the renewal?

Steve, my Australia PR visa will expire in 2 years. I haven\'t started the GC application process yet. I plan to start the process now. How many days in advance should I apply for the renewal before my Australia PR visa expires? What documents do I need to renew the visa? Do you know any website that I can get the detailed info about the renewal? I appreciate your help and tips. Thanks.

Information.

Firstly, I contacted the Australian State Dept in Washington D.C. Below is the link for that ...

http://www.austemb.org/DIMA/

Secondly, I looked at my letter, dated 2/22/00, my visa was expiring 12/01/00. I don\'t have a definite time period as to when you should renew ... probably within 6 months of expiration. They will ask you to prove "why" you should receive another visa. My "why" was answered by having immediate family in Australia, and I am sure they were lenient in terms of me being away less than 5 yrs. I chronicled my initial arrival date in Australia as well as any/all absences in a separate covering letter. I did this, even though they do ask those specific questions in the form you will receieve - I just felt their form was a little clumsy and awkward to read and respond to.

Hope this helps.

No Title

Thanks very much for your information. I picked up my Australian immigrant visa 2 years ago at Australian Embassy in DC. I have printed out the info from the website you told me. My sister is an Australian citizen and she lives in Australia. Can I count her as my "immediate family member"? I only went to Australia for one week after I was granted the immigrant visa. I might have some other questions. Do you mind giving me your personal email address so I can email you when I have more questions. Thanks.

Similar situation

Steve,
I am a NZ citizen(passport holder) there by I am an AUS PR for the most part. I reported in AUS before they changed the rules for NZ citizens.
My wife got AUS PR last May approved by AUS Consulate in US based on my NZ citizenship. Visa was issued for 5 years until year 2006, but the catch was she had to report before Dec 2001, which she did not.
We are almost getting our GC in US any day now, and she could not travel in Dec for the same reason. Any suggestions as to how to go about this?
Thanks,
DHAR

Hi

Do not hold me to this advice!

I would think that Australia would cast a dim view on your wife not being able to make the due date because of the US GC! They may be a little difficult with you on that respect. But try and negotiate this with them ... go to ...
http://www.austemb.org/DIMA/

But the bottom line is - Both of you with be receiving a US GC. So an Australian GC is a moot point. Especially since you are a NZ citizen. The only thing you might consider is if you go for US citizenship (way down the track I know), how would that effect your NZ citizenship?

Hope this helps

i hope to find good eritrian girl

i am stay in saudia but from sudan eritrian man i hope find good
eritrian girl in australia god luck

Australian PR vs United States GC

Hi SteveG;

I found your knowledge on Australian PR a blessing in disguise!

I have been living in U.S for past 12 years. Firstly, I came here as a student. But, when I applied for U.S GC it took me longer than I planned, primarily because of my sponsoring company sitting on my papers to delay the process.
In the meantime, I applied for the Australian PR, since I was able to gain enough points with my IT qualifications and experiences. I received the Australian PR a year before I received the U.S-GC. Then, I went to Australia, as I was required to do so, within a year. I now have time till 2003 to go and settle down in Australia for good (because they give 4 years for that, right?)
My question to you is, taking into account the overall job security, Health facilities and other standard of living factors, which country would you prefer to finally settle down in?

Because, I heard in Australia, you don’t have to be afraid of getting laid off like in the U.S during an economic slow down. I guess the Australian labor laws protect employees, unlike here in the U.S. Also, I heard, their unemployment benefits are much better than here in the U.S.
What do you think?
I am talking about overall benefits.

Your advise on this matter will be of great help to me, since I have to make a very important decision before 2003, before I forgo the Australian PR.

Finally, is it okay to send you an email to your address given in this forum, if I had more questions in this regard?

Thank you,
-- Rishva --

50/50

I didn't come to this thread before. Hope this reply is not too late.

I am an Australian citizen currently working here on H-1B and also applied for GC (fingerprinting stage).

Australia is definitely a better country to live in if you have enough money. However, it's hard to make money there. Unemployment is very high since its long lasting recession started in 1990.

Don't say "you don’t have to be afraid of getting laid off like in the U.S during an economic slow down. I guess the Australian labor laws protect employees, unlike here in the U.S. Also, I heard, their unemployment benefits are much better than here in the U.S."

Australian labor laws protect employees? Yes. However, to get employed is hard for immigrants. Racism is also more severe than US. Be prepared being treated as a second class citizen or unequally in terms of compensation etc.

Their unemployment benefit may be slightly better than US (depending on hoe you see it). However, you don't live comfortably. You don't intend to live on dole forever, do you?

My suggestion, work hard and make enough money and retire in Australia.

Here is my 2c worth ...

I emmigrated from South Africa to Oz in Sep 1990, a few months before, Australia was booming then it went downhill very fast.

I found work fairly easily when I arrived, worked for about a year and then was summarily retrenched. Sitting on the sidelines for about 10 months, I was granted a reprieve and joined AAP (Australian Associated Press) and never looked back. In Feb 1995 I was offered a contract to the USA - my career is strictly IT - I had/have family in Oz but also a brother in NYC and cousins throught the USA. I never once questioned or 2nd guessed coming here to the US - how fortunate I am.

Why did I come here? For IT ... no matter what you read about the US economy, in the press, websites, wherever, never forget that this is the hub of IT. True, a number of companies are planning on offshore contracting. But realistically, you have Microsoft, Oracle, Sun ... Silicon Valley ... How can the rest compare or even threaten?

My point? Well, in Australia you have a minute workforce, the population is roughly 19MM, the workforce is ??? Anyway, you might find it very hard to find work in Oz - depending on your IT discipline. When the market tanks in Oz - you will know about it very quickly. I don't quite accept YJay's opinion that Oz is more rascist than here ... but that is a personal opinion and this is not the forum to discuss this here. But I do agree 100% with retiring in Oz - provided you have the money.

Bottom line? Get your GC here, then you have the power to re-apply to Oz if you wish (seek Attorney on this point).

Good luck!

Glad to see

someone who speaks the same language as I do. Steve, you must have moved out of OZ before the Hanson syndrome. In 1997-98, Pauline Hanson, a joke in Australia, started a “One Nation Party” which is purely against migrants, especially Asian migrants. She re-ignited the white Australian wave. Many migrants got spitted on or harassed on the streets. Hanson was on the front page news for quite a while and she embarrassed many Australians. She married and divorced twice and has four children with her two ex-husbands. She never finished high school and operates a fish and chip shop. Somehow she developed a mentality that her race is superior to all other races (even many white races). She attacked aborigines, Asians, and some other migrants with rootless facts. Ironically, this Pauline Hanson won a federal parliament seat and her party also won several Queensland parliament seats. The funny part is that more than a half of her Queensland parliamentary representatives (mostly blue collar workers) quitted after only 6 months in the parliament (they can't handle their job).

Anyway, if you are white, you may not have experienced much of the impact by this insignificant little Pauline Hanson. However, the significant impact caused by her is very much due to the deep root of racisms in the heart many white Australians.

Having said too much, I'll end with declaring that these are my personal opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhhh!! The Hanson Sydrome

Now I understand where YJay is coming from!

Yes YJay - I am white but coming from South Africa (actually, I am British but spent many years in SA) - I appreciate the cold-hand of rascism.

You are correct - Hanson touched a raw nerve. Those who fight rascism and those who always find a way to promote it. Unfortuantely for the those that followed Pauline they had found a rallying cry - yes the seed is there but I believe in the good in people and I have to believe that there is an equal and immovable force apposed to it! Call me naive - but that is my firm belief. How many other countries would open a can of worms that Judge Marbo did in allowing land rights to indiginous people?

Australia is a great place - lot's of topless bathers, great fish, great sport ....

But I would still urge my friend to attain his GC in US and then, find a way back to Oz if you wish.

Well said

thanks, Steve.

BTW, I apologize for the spelling/grammatical mistakes in my previous posting. I should have been more careful.

Ideas please

Thank you Steve , Yjay and all others for valuable suggesstions
Im very gratful.

Just a point of info: I was the one who started the first question

i have roughly 10 months of time where i'll be completing 3 yrs out of my 5 yrs of time away from AUS. Im still waiting for I140
wondering is it wise to approach Aus embassy before i hit 3 yrs
and ask them for extension.
Any ideas where i can use to approach AUS embassy without offending anybody to get my PR extension.

I dont have any relatives in AUS.

Thanks
yougotme

First of all, let me thank Steve G., Yjay and Yougotime for your very helpful comments. They not only answered my questions, but also gave me other information about OZ – PR and generally about Australia.

After reading a Yougotime posting, I realized that OZ – PR is valid for 5 years; can you please answer me when that 5 year period begins?
For instance, I received the OZ – PR in 1998 and had to go to OZ within an year, as I was instructed by the embassy to get the PR validated. The stamp says I am eligible to live in OZ indefinitely, yet that has an expiry date of Dec. 21, 2003. So, is this the 5-year period you mentioned?
Or does it start, after I go over there and settle down? If so, what proof does one has to show that he/she not only visited OZ, but also settled down as a Permanent Resident?

So far, I have been to OZ only once, and that was to mark my presence there, as my initial visit after getting the PR. I was there only for a week, and did not apply for Medicaid – Govt. Medical Insurance (sorry for the spelling) etc. etc.

I hope someone could explain this to me also.

Now, my side of the story:
As I mentioned in my previous posting, I have lived in the U.S since 1988, first came to U.S as a student and obtained my B.S, and then found a job in my IT field. After working there for a year or so, I had to move over to another (because that company’s policy did not allow sponsoring) and got my Green Card, after working for 6+ years (I almost finished my second H1B 3 years!). However, in my entire stay in this country, I have lived in 4 states (Hawaii, CA, PA and MD) – West coast to East coast. Besides those, I have traveled through out the country (I mean driving) covering about 30+ states.
Once as a student, we rented a SUV and drove from PA to CA (going via Chicago and coming back via Colorado pass Las Vegas, Grand Canyon etc.) – the entire trip took about 5+ weeks. We also camped out as well.
Besides this trip, I have also been to many of the Southern states (covering Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee etc.).

Therefore, having revealed my background, let me try to give a word of advise to you OZ’s who are trying or waiting to get the U.S – GC. I assume none of you have lived in U.S longer than I have, because if you had, I would rather listen to you, as far as the U.S is concerned!

If you wanted to talk about racism in OZ, please don’t forget that it still exists in U.S also. It all depends on which state you live in!!!
For instance if you are living in NY City area, CA (close to LA or SanFran), NJ, Florida, around Washington D.C, or Chicago area, I am sure you haven’t experienced any racism in this country. I think it is like living in Melbourne or Sydney in OZ, right?
Then, do you think we in the U.S do not have Hanson type politicians, especially in the Southern states?
Then, does Oz has movements like KK-, which is still active in some parts of U.S?

How about the girl kidnappers, school shootings, serial killers, drive by shootings etc. etc., do you get those in OZ as often as and, as widely as you get them in the U.S?
If you have a family with children, which country do you think is safer to live?

Yes, you may be able to make good money here, but only when this country’s economy is in good shape! If you or your spouse has a good job with great benefits with a reliable Health Insurance option then your family (also if you have kids) is safe and would feel like living in a “true developed country”, but if not, you may feel like you are living in a “third world” country. If you have only a business, you may have to buy Health Insurance on your own, therefore in order to have a reasonable plan, you may have to pay at least 500+ a month. Isn’t this all free in OZ?
Now, don’t forget, next to food and a place to live, Health benefit is the most important requirement of our lives!

Also, at no stage have faith on the Green Card process! INS has been a very inefficient organization in the past (I am not sure how efficient they are now), they used to do so many mistakes, yet they would pass that burden onto you. Even for their own mistakes, it is your process that will get delayed. So, if you are lucky, you may get the G.C within 1-2 years. However, until you have filed your 485 and waited for 6 months, please don’t feel safe about it. Still, do not lose your OZ – PR until after you have received your G.C (I mean the actual card also). If you wanted to lose your OZ-PR, after getting the GC, please think carefully and weigh yours and your family’s priorities in life.

Lastly, Steve G. mentioned that how bad this country’s economy is, U.S still is the hub of the IT industry etc. etc. Yes, it is true, but do you know how many of the IT jobs being moved over to India lately for cheap labor? For instance, many projects in AT&T closed and moved over to India for cost benefits. Their employees were laid off.
I believe unless you work for one of those bigger IT companies in the U.S itself, you do not have to live here to feel that you are living in the “hub”, because today’s world is connected thru Internet and mass media!!!

I have relatives in OZ too, but they are all cousins of mine, but not immediate family members. Even though every one of them talks very highly of that country, none of them has experienced living in the U.S like Steve G., Yjay and Yougotime have. Therefore, until I heard from you guys, I have not gotten a fair comparison of U.S and OZ.
Also, remember, only few of us have this “unique option” of picking one of these countries to live in! – The world’s most developed, with a high standard of living, above all, English speaking!!!

Your postings are of very much help to me. Please continue to write to this thread.
I also appreciate if you could respond to my view points as well.

Thank you,
-- Rishva --

foud out something different

Rishva,

Nice comments.. I total agree with u but my personal feeling If bad has to happen it can happen anywhere even in the worlds safest place.

I was going thru some websites Rishva,
Nice comments.. I total agree with u but my personal feeling If bad has to happen it can happen anywhere even in the worlds safest place.

I was going thru some websites and found out something different regarding the PR status.

here are some of the questions I beleive we need answers

1> what is the PR status after initial stamp 5 yrs. If a person didnot stay 2yrs/out of initial 5 yr period. and entered AUS before the completion of 5 yrs period ?

Is it just he/she needs a Return resident visa when ever the person leaves AUS after the 5 yr.

2> What effect it has on getting AUS citizen ship If he/she didnot live in AUS for 2yrs out of initial 5 yrs , entered AUS before 5 yr and stayed there perminently later.

here are some of the questions I beleive we need answers

1> what is the PR status after initial stamp 5 yrs. If a person didnot stay 2yrs/out of initial 5 yr period. and entered AUS before the completion of 5 yrs period ?

Is it just he/she needs a Return resident visa when ever the person leaves AUS after the 5 yr.

2> What effect it has on getting AUS citizen ship If he/she didnot live in AUS for 2yrs out of initial 5 yrs , entered AUS before 5 yr and stayed there perminently later.

Thanks
Yougotme