• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Australian DV winner - Postponing an interview date due to marriage? Or send in forms later?

adsy

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,

I'm getting married in March 2012 and have been selected for the DV lottery. Im in Australia and my case number is 7XX out of a 900 in Oceania. I can't change the date of the wedding, as invites have already gone out, church is booked etc.

From what I've read on this forum it is unwise to get married after the Interview. I'm not worried about the Interview itself in terms of proving the marriage is genuine, but I am worried about getting an interview date before we get married as I obviously want my wife to be with me. All I need is the interview date to be after my wedding. Is there anything I can do?

What are my options? I think my interview will be scheduled for around that time of year, or earlier. Is it possible to get the date postponed? Will the consulate's do that? OR should I hold off on sending in the forms so hopefully that might push the interview date back a little?

Any help would be much appreciated.

AJ

Hi guys,

I'm getting married in March 2012 and have been selected for the DV lottery. Im in Australia and my case number is 7XX out of a 900 in Oceania. I can't change the date of the wedding, as invites have already gone out, church is booked etc.

From what I've read on this forum it is unwise to get married after the Interview. I'm not worried about the Interview itself in terms of proving the marriage is genuine, but I am worried about getting an interview date before we get married as I obviously want my wife to be with me. All I need is the interview date to be after my wedding. Is there anything I can do?

What are my options? I think my interview will be scheduled for around that time of year, or earlier. Is it possible to get the date postponed? Will the consulate's do that? OR should I hold off on sending in the forms so hopefully that might push the interview date back a little?

AJ

Postponing your interview is not a problem at all and the consulate will do that. Your problem is the forms that you will send out. If you do send out your forms right now, you will send those out as "single". This will mean that your wife will not qualify. However, if you send out your forms AFTER your wedding, that might be a little late for processing (not sure). You might want to look for similar cases on internet and at the same time send KCC an e-mail or call them up with your question.

Well I don't want to wait until next March to send back the forms. That seems very late to me?

From what I have read, changing the forms won't be a problem. I emailed KCC about that, and they said when you are married, simply resubmit the forms with updated details. I would just have to resubmit the forms before the interview date.

I hope the consulate will be flexible with the interview dates. If that is the case, I will just postpone the date to after March, resubmit the forms to KCC and then hopefully it will be fine. From what I have read, the real key it simply be married before the interview date. How best to achieve that without changing the date of the wedding, I'm not so sure.

BUT thanks for the reply Firi!

Well I don't want to wait until next March to send back the forms. That seems very late to me?

From what I have read, changing the forms won't be a problem. I emailed KCC about that, and they said when you are married, simply resubmit the forms with updated details. I would just have to resubmit the forms before the interview date.

I hope the consulate will be flexible with the interview dates. If that is the case, I will just postpone the date to after March, resubmit the forms to KCC and then hopefully it will be fine. From what I have read, the real key it simply be married before the interview date. How best to achieve that without changing the date of the wedding, I'm not so sure.

BUT thanks for the reply Firi!

You also have to keep in mind that your forms will be sent to your Consular office from KCC. So you might want to find out if you will need to resubmit the forms to KCC (and they send them to the Consular office) or directly to the Consular office.

O so I understand that you have planed the whole ceremony and church and party in march for the wedding, but you can still sign the papers and be legally maried asap and get a wedding certificate and still have the party and everything else later, this will definetly save you a lot of time and trouble, just go and sign the papers and get the certificate to show that you are legally married.

Hi guys,

AJ

Hi guys,

AJ

You could call consular office when your interview is confirmed and ask to reschedule; at the same time you can state that you got married and ask if there are any additional forms you need to fill out.