August 2009 family based filers post here

Hi folks

I applied for my mom's GC in Aug-09. Not the easiest as I did not have her birth certificate and our attempts to get it from the local office in Tamil Nadu in India, through YourManInIndia was not successful. Apparently, they do not issue non-availability or birth certificate in some offices, unless you can show address proof of having stayed there during the time of birth. That was a tall order for me as my mom did not have any proof of having stayed there.

We got a RFE for that. I responded with non-availability from the Indian consulate in SF. I also provided additional explanation, demonstrating good faith effort to get it. We had the interview on Jan 11th and it got approved.

Thanks a lot to all of those sharing tips and providing guidance. Thank you JohnnyCash for that excellent compilation and the formats.

Here's the timeline ( I did not apply for her EAD):

08/04/2009: Mailed package
08/06/2009: Received date
08/11/2009: Check cleared
08/11/2009: Receipts notice date
08/13/2009: Biometrics apt notice date
09/10/2009: Biometrics Appointment taken
08/21/2009: RFE for birth certificate
11/04/2009: RFE responded to and mailed
11/13/2009: Advance Parole approved
12/12/2009: Interview letter received
01/11/2010: Interview - oral approval provided, although written decision said "further review"
01/11/2010: Document ordered - web site update
01/14/2010: I-485 and I-130 approval notice on mail
??/??/????: Card received

Satish

Last edited by a moderator:
Our interview was at 8:15am yesterday, and we arrived right on time. We went through security and didn’t have to sit in the waiting area. The officer waved us to come around through the doors and we went straight to his office.

We sat down and he swore us in. He was a stern man, but not unfriendly. I don’t think English was his first language so he mumbled a lot and we had to ask him to repeat himself once or twice. He verified information from our application, and he would randomly ask us questions (my birthday, his birthday, our address, etc.). He asked us when we met, when we started dating, when we decided to get married, how long we had been together before getting married, our wedding date, etc.

Then he took information from me regarding my F1 status (I-20s and such) and then he removed my I-94 from my passport.

Then he asked us for information such as joint bills. We showed him our joint cell bill, vet bills, joint account statements, letter from our bank stating we had opened the account together in 2005, receipts of major purchases we had made together (our dog, big screen TV), etc.

He then asked for photos. I showed him an album with a random assortment of photos from the last 5 years and then our vacation album for our trip to Las Vegas. He finally started warming up to us when he realized we stayed in the same hotel as he and he wife did the last time he went to Las Vegas. He took about 5 photos with our respective family members in them, such as his mom’s 50th birthday party and my graduation, along with one or two wedding pics.

He then started asking the yes/no questions. He asked if I had ever knowingly committed a crime. I said no. He then asked if I had ever gotten a speeding ticket. I said yes, in February 2007 but it was vacated. He said he needed proof of that from the courthouse.

I calmly told the officer that I had been informed by numerous sources that traffic violations didn’t count towards this. He insisted that he would need proof in order to make the decision on our case.

I was extremely annoyed but of course didn’t show it. The officer sighed and said if we brought back proof today, then he would make his decision on our case that same afternoon. We said we could be back before his lunch break!

We sped over the courthouse (about 30 mins away) and explained our situation to the Clerk of Courts. Bless those amazing women who helped us find the proof so quickly! We sped back to the USCIS building about 5 minutes before the officer’s lunch break and handed the paperwork to him.

I was really hoping that he would let us know of his decision right then and there. But he told us we would have to wait 2 weeks. I am so utterly disappointed.

However, my logical, wonderful hubby pointed out that if the officer didn’t think we were a legit couple, it wouldn’t rest on documentation of a 3 year old speeding ticket. I have to agree with him.

I will be anxiously checking the mail everyday for the next few weeks…

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks swtblcn23!

From start to finish, it was exactly 5 months (not bad considering there was a 2 month delay for rescheduling the interview) from the date the checks were cashed.

I wonder if there are any other outstanding August filers?

Yey bellalondon!!! I guess we'll see each other again when we file for I-751 after 2 years :) All the best for you!

Hello sag408! I haven't filed yet but I'm getting ready. I hope the others in this thread are doing good. Should we start a new thread???