AU vs US passport

Flyer1221

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

This is for a friend of mine and he asked me to post this question on his behalf:

"I am a US citizen by birth and just got married to an Australian national. We will be flying to the US in a few weeks for the first time. My wife has an Australian passport and I have a US passport, will there be any issues when we arrive for immigration?"

Thanks and I will really appreciate your response!

She will be treated as an intending immigrant. Immigrants have to get the appropriate immigrant visa to enter US. Visitors to US have to prove that they do not intend to immigrate which is difficult considering the fact that she is married to a US citizen.
The US citizen should contact a US embassy/consulate in Australia for the correct action.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your replies.

Yes they both live in Australia. They recently bought a house/apartment together. He has a job there in finance like me and she works in the medical field (from what I recall). Do you think he should bring along letters of employment etc to prove that they are currently living in AU? I am sure there are people in similar situations right and they do visit the US from time to time. What type of visa should she apply?

Thanks

Thanks again. I will let him know and make sure they each get a letter from work and any other docs they have. One last question, can they both queue up in the same line as US citizens or will they need to split... i.e the wife has to go to the non us passport section?

The more documentation they bring, the better. So, proof of employment, sufficient funds, maybe family in Australia, etc.

They can both join the USC queue.

I am not sure whether it is correct. I find there are only two queues , one for USA Citizen and other for other country citizen including GC holders. She holds Australian PP how can join USC queue?????

Because people traveling together usually go through passport control together, and if one's a USC, the other(s) can join that queue.

Because people traveling together usually go through passport control together, and if one's a USC, the other(s) can join that queue.

It is exactly the opposite. If one is NOT a USC she cannot join the USC line while a USC can join the visitor line. When my friend (USC) travels with her German parents they always go through the visitor line. Same when they arrive to the EU. I would recommend going to the visitor line unless you want to risk being bumped. This can be especially inconvinient if it is long wait.

Interesting. I've read on this forum, I think, of people doing what I suggested, but maybe I'm mistaken. However, I have met people at the airport who did what I suggested (non-USC joining USC in USC queue) and it has always worked.

It is exactly the opposite. If one is NOT a USC she cannot join the USC line while a USC can join the visitor line. When my friend (USC) travels with her German parents they always go through the visitor line. Same when they arrive to the EU. I would recommend going to the visitor line unless you want to risk being bumped. This can be especially inconvinient if it is long wait.
From my observations, CBP officers just don't give a damn. If the line for citizens is shorter, I would recommend them to go together through that line. Especially if they fill out one customs declaration.