Attorney fees for I-485 RFE

vparakkal

Registered Users (C)
How much an attorney charge for processing green card in EB3? My attorney agreed to process green card for (I and my wife) $4500 but I totally I paid more than $6000 attorney fee and mailing expenses (I paid INS fees extra). For renewing EAD and Advance parole my attorney asked $1000 ($1000 attorney fee and $700+ INS charge). So I renewed EAD and Advance parole by myself. Now my wife received an RFE (RFE: To establish the relationship you claim with the principal applicant, you must submit a copy of your marriage certificate, which has been registered, with the proper civil authorities of the Country in which you were married) for her I-485 and my attorney asking $250 for answering RFE. I don’t have a choice and I am paying the fee. But any of your attorneys asking fee for answering RFE?

This is really bad

My attorney charged me a fixed amount. I too had an RFE for my 140, but never had to pay extra to attorney. They did not charge me for filing EAD etc. I am paying just I was told in the beggining, No hidden cost.
Seems like your attorney is just finding the way to snach money from you. He/She is just care for money nothing else. I don't think it will continue more for her if her clients are treated this way.
I would think one should file his/her case him/her self rather then hiring this kind of lawyer.
It feels like you are paying to invite trouble

Last edited by a moderator:

You can answer the RFE's to 485 yourself. There is no need of attoney in between -- esp if he is charging heck lot of money just for forwarding the documents.

Do it yourself

You will provide the evidence and lawyer will attach that evidence with the RFE letter.So get the certificate notorized from your country, or ask help from your embassy to make the cetificate authentic.

Don't pay to lawyer.

Abid

According to me, you are are being misleaded by your attorney. When I had a RFE, I was not charged for it, since it is their duty to get the proper letter/documentation from me before filing.

I was told about the GC fee before filing and I didn't pay even a single penny more than what was agreed upon. Looking at your fees, I will say that it is above normal than an ordinary attorney's fees.

This is not good

Usally they shouldn't charge extra money for RFE. I didn't see any attorney doing that. They are trying to exploit your situation as you are in urgency.

binoypthomas said:
According to me, you are are being misleaded by your attorney. When I had a RFE, I was not charged for it, since it is their duty to get the proper letter/documentation from me before filing.

I was told about the GC fee before filing and I didn't pay even a single penny more than what was agreed upon. Looking at your fees, I will say that it is above normal than an ordinary attorney's fees.

vparakkal,
I agree with binoypthomas.It's attorney's duty to make sure that all relevant and required documents are in place before we file.The hefty atorney fee they charge could atleast be justified so.It makes no sense to pay additional fee for replying RFE.Is your attorney making a living out of just you?!!!!.

To answer your question,I did not have any RFE(lucky me :) ) and didn't have to deal with any extra payment with my attorney(What he mentioned in the contract is what I payed).Also,I wouldn't expect my attorney or legal firm demanding money for a genuine RFE like yours.

As many in the forum suggested,I would reccommend responding to RFE by yourself.Get the RFE letter from INS/attorney's office and prepare the evidence requested.

Godspeed.

Any of you answered for I-485 RFE without an attorney?

Any of you answered for I-485 RFE without an attorney?
I agreed to pay the fee still my attorney is not answered the RFE till today.

Depends on the type of RFE

It depends on the RFE, if they want some docs - have your lawyer send it.

Also,

Go for fixed quote from Lawyers! If you do hourly, they charge for everthing....