attn: people with namecheck/fingerprint/fbi background check pending

ateganda29

Registered Users (C)
hello everyone!

just curious. cause there are several threads and a handful of people who fall into this category. may it be a pending namecheck, fingerprinting, or fbi background -- or they may all even be related with each other. i am just curious:

a) with people who has a namecheck pending, do you feel that your name is an ordinary/common name (either your first or last or both) that's why you're namecheck is pending?
b) with people who has an fbi background/fingerprint check pending, did you have problems when you got fingerprinted? like they had to scan your prints several times or the image of your prints did not 'pass' on the screen as readable?
c) if none of the above, do you have an idea why you're in that group?

just thought to ask so people can have a wider sense as to why they're namecheck/fbi background/fingerprint check is pending.

thank you in advance for your responses!

Last edited by a moderator:
ateganda29 said:
hello everyone!

a) with people who has a namecheck pending, do you feel that your name is an ordinary/common name (either your first or last or both) that's why you're namecheck is pending?
My husband whose namecheck is pending since july 2004 feels it's because his last name is the same as of one other guy who is the researcher in bio weapons.

ateganda29 said:
hello everyone!

just curious. cause there are several threads and a handful of people who fall into this category. may it be a pending namecheck, fingerprinting, or fbi background -- or they may all even be related with each other. i am just curious:

My name is very uncommon

b) with people who has an fbi background/fingerprint check pending, did you have problems when you got fingerprinted? like they had to scan your prints several times or the image of your prints did not 'pass' on the screen as readable?

Yes it did. The person was not satisfied with the finger prints and kept doing it again and again. But the fingerprint check got cleared very quickly. The FBI background check is never ending. Why would problems with fingerprint affect name check?

c) if none of the above, do you have an idea why you're in that group?

just thought to ask so people can have a wider sense as to why they're namecheck/fbi background/fingerprint check is pending.

thank you in advance for your responses!

didn't say that one has an effect over the other. just thought to include all reasons for delays of one's application and what one thinks as to why his/her application is delayed (i.e., common name, problem with fingerprinting, etc.). so that other members will have an idea or atleast a better understanding (if there is a pattern) why certain applications get delayed.

Hello,

How did you come to know that FBI got FP and sent to USCIS? Ca nyou share info on how to check status?

their (FBI) number is 304-625-5590. when you call, you will speak to a live person. you will be asked for your A# and your name.

that info is courtesy of ocworker :) (thanks, ocworker!)

One theory

There are possibly several reasons for getting into this unlucky group of people who are stuck.
One that seems to be logical to me is doing job for federal government either in the military or in "sensitive scientific" fields, it works as a red flag for an FBI's in-depth checking of an applicant. I have several examples to support my theory.

Hi

My father was called twice for the fingerprints, saying the first one was not readable. FBI sent the results to the USCIS. On the interview however, he was asked to bring a good conduct certificate because even the second one was not readable(thats what the interviewer told him)

For ateganda

How come you took the History/Civic test on the FP day.
We had our FP done at Baltimore DO on nov 14.

How long do you think it will take in Baltimore for interview.

Hi Guys..

I ve just came back from USCIS office. I made and Infopass appointment to ask why my case is taking longer to be approved than the average of the cases that are being processesing in my Local Office.

They told me that they cannot complete my case in the normal time due my Name check is still pending ( my fingerprints were cleared the same day that i submitted them).

Now its been 3 months since i did my biometrics/fingerprints.

Questions:
1)IS NORMAL THAT THE NAME CHECK IS STILL PENDING 3 MONTHS LATER?
2) WHATS THE AVERAGE TIME TO HAVE YOUR NAME CHECK CLEANED?

I am from south america.....

Ill appreciate any kind of answers.

thanks so much!

nishanth said:
How come you took the History/Civic test on the FP day.
We had our FP done at Baltimore DO on nov 14.

How long do you think it will take in Baltimore for interview.

hi nishanth!

i have read in different threads in this forum that Glenmont ASC actually offers the history/civic test same day as getting your FP done --unless the computers were down that day. so when i got there, i saw a sign that said that the testing center was closed but i still asked if they were administering the test that day. i got lucky because the time that i got there, the lady that was administering the test just got in or something that she was able to take me.

i have also ready in other posts that usually the test is done together with the interview. i guess it all depends on the DO or ASC that took your FP.

if baltimore DO stays consistent from the different posts in this forum, looks like it takes about 2 months after FP is done to receive the interview letter and the appt date is not too far away from that date.

to k1_visa: why do you feel you're in the name check pending? as what this thread is all about, it's sort of a poll to see what the people who are under this rut as well as the FBI check think why people are getting stuck. is it because of a common name, unreadable prints, etc. in your case, do you think/feel that your name is a common name or atleast a common derivative of a name that may be the cause of the delay?

zaraza said:
There are possibly several reasons for getting into this unlucky group of people who are stuck.
One that seems to be logical to me is doing job for federal government either in the military or in "sensitive scientific" fields, it works as a red flag for an FBI's in-depth checking of an applicant. I have several examples to support my theory.

Hi Zaraza. Could you elaborate more regarding this theory? I believe you are correct in your assessment.

BTW, what happened to your husband's case?

I called VSC today. The customer service representative this time was very nice and helpful. She first said that my case is under "Security review" and USCIS does not have any control over it since they are waiting for a response from an external agency. This seems to be the standard reply. I asked her if the external agency is FBI. She said yes. She also said that the name check was initiated with FBI in March 2004 and is still pending. When I asked her if there is a way to follow-up, she said that I can send an e-mail to the FBI ID. I told her that I have already sent an email in March 2005. She said, yes, they have stopped responding. However, last month (Oct 2005), my name went into the USICS file for following up with FBI and so hopefully it should move in the near future. It seems like USCICS does follow up with FBI if the case is pending for a certain amount of time. I will call again after a couple of months and see if it is completed, if not I will contact the senator or congressman.

For people whose name check have been initiated in 2002 and 2003, have you called your respective service center to find out if your name checks have been completed, since FBI is supposed to be concentrating their efforts on clearing up the backlog for 2002 and 2003. If these cases have reached completion, we would know if this is really the case.

wwwwwg said:
What is the number to call VSC directly?

Please call the 1-800-375-5283 NSC and follow the below steps. Here is the sequence of steps i followed to get to this:

Press 1 (for english),
press 2 (for existing case),
press 6 (for case statues etc),
then press 1( for knowing your receipt no.),
enter the receipt # to get the automated response saying blah blah blah and also at the end saying this is the most upto date information on your case and our customer the same info national customer service agents have (i totally agree with this).
Then choose to continue to the next step "press 3" . choose 3
Listen to the options-
Option 4 "if you feel if you submitted together and one of the applications is left out and not processed (don't remmember the exact message text ..but something about companion case "

You get transferred to VSC after choosing option 4.

If you call after VSC operating hours you will be asked to call the National Service center with this message
""there are no immigration officers at this service center at this time, please call the USCIS national customer service center".