ATTN Canada and Mexico CP\'ers....

GC_wonder

Registered Users (C)
I don\'t want to create panic here, but this is what I found on www.shusterman.com:

"Moratorium On Processing Of Visa Applications For
        TCNs In Canada/Mexico" 11/19/01

The State Department has suspended the processing of visas for
3rd country nationals in Canada and Mexico. Existing appointments
are being cancelled.

INS may change its policy of allowing persons in lawful status in
the U.S. to return to this country following a stay of less than
30 days in Canada or Mexico.

Looks like the Canada and Mexico CP\'ers, who are not Canadian/Mexican citizens, will be affected by this decision. I couldn\'t understand the 2nd paragraph reg INS policy. Experts please comment.

No Title

Guys dont panic. Its just for Non-Immigrant visas only. It\'s strictly for Non-Immigrant visas. I found that information on www.immigration-law.com.
I dont know if they will change to Immigrant Visas also, but right now its for Non-Immigrant visas.

Yes, this is only for NIVs.

Shri420, thanks a lot for the clarification. I don\'t understand why Shusterman\'s site didn\'t clearly mention "Non-Immigrant Visas". I apologize for the confusion.

Will this help CP cases?

Oh-Law (see http://www.immigration-law.com/Canada.html ) writes:

AILA reports that it has received a notification from DOS that the American Consulates in Mexico and Canada temporarily suspend, effective immediately, all the nonimmigrant visa processing for Third Country Nationals. All the appointments are reportedly cancelled. People should contact with their lawyers and consulates before they schedule a trip. This action has been taken, according to the news, for fear of TCN applications clogging the consular processings because of the recently announced security checks and anticipated INS practice change at the borders for the TCN readmission to the U.S. within 30 days. DOS may change this suspension, but until further notice, this suspension is in effect!

If this is true, it will actually help CP bound folks. Wishful thinking says this might even reduce the time to interview!

As an aside, Montreal never allowed third country nationals to consular process. Denying Canadian Landed Immigrants (irrespective of their nationality) their right to CP would be an extreme measure.

no, not unless you\'re Canadian/Mexican

you won\'t get an interview at all. Canada has never done TCN CP cases, and Mexico stopped in October this year.

Re

please note that the U.S. Consulate at Ciudad Juarez, Mexico announced that it will no longer be processing immigrant visa cases for non-Mexicans who have filed the I-485 and now wish to consular process. In articles in issues of the MurthyBulletin from last year (2000), we mentioned that Ciudad Juarez was agreeing to help applicants waiting for decisions on their I-485 Adjustment of Status applications with INS. Because of the lengthy delays in adjudicating the I-485, Juarez instituted a procedure for transferring the cases to their consulate, even for non-Mexican applicants.

I know this from my lawyer you can\'t go to Mexico(No idea about Canada)

Thanks

Marupudi

Look up responses to your earlier questions before re-posting. Check out the discussion: "Montreal Dec Interview Dates are out!"

Please clarify CP at Canada and Mexico

Hello friends,

From you post I understand that if you have filed for I485 and now tried to do CP you cannot do it at Canada or Mexico. Right?

What if I have not filed my I140 yet and if I specified CP on my 140, could I still do CP via Canada/Mexico??.

Thank you for your advice.

TungFong