Attended interview in Detroit

nani72

I went as detail as i possibly could for the benefit of others waiting for interview. If anybody has any type of question, reply to this thread.

I-485: RD July 3, 2003
PD: March 2002.
EB3 category
I-140 approved: April 6, 2004

Our interview was scheduled for today for 8:30am, and we were there at 8:15am. After security check, we were asked to drop the interview letter in a tray. I was surprised to see how many immigration officers are coming out and going in with candidates. We saw our immigration officer coming out twice and roaming around, not knowing that he was the one who would be interviewing us. The officer was in 50s and was polite. He was about 6.2", white male with medium built. The first thing he did before asking us to sit was, he took our oath. The officer didn't ask for my pay-stubs, tax returns, marriage certificate, proof-of residence, proof-of joint residence, driver's license, EADs, any of the truck loads of documents we took with us. But he casually asked if I have my last H1-approval and approved I-140 while doing his paperwork. I said I don’t have H1 approval at the moment, whereas I-140 is with original sponsoring Employer for which he responded, "Its okay". I hand-over my original birth certificate and volunteered to ask if he needs a copy. While I was searching for the birth-certificate copy, he said its okay if I didn't have it and that he can take a Xerox copy. However, my search succeeded in a moment.

He went through the check list of about 15 formal criminal background questions, and for every question, our answer was definitive NO. He went through our passports and asked if I have expired visa/I-94 and I replied, my H1 visa and I-94 were expired on July 30, 2005 and that I didn't renew my H1 as my I-485 pending. He noted down some information from our visas on passports. While checking my wife's passport he noticed that she just returned from India last month and asked her if she went on Advance parole, and she said 'yes'. He turned to me and asked with a smile, "why didn't you go, you couldn't get off the work". I smiled back and said, "yes sir, I couldn't get vacation".

He took our photographs, took index-finger prints, had our signatures on documents and said that, we would receive I-485 approvals in the mail once visa numbers are available after October 1st. I asked him if visa numbers are issued based my priority date, his quick reply was "yes". He explained in detail to us that after we get approvals in the mail, we have to take info-pass to take appointment and have our passports stamped. We said, yes we know how to take info-pass and take appointment, responding to his question, “do you know about Info-pass, have you ever taken Info-pass.

I initiated the AC-21 chat, by asking if he received my AC-21 papers that I filed couple of weeks back. He didn't receive the papers yet as he commented it’s a big office and that he would eventually get those docs, but asked if AC-21 papers on my hand are additional copies that he can take it. I gave those documents and emphasized that I'm currently working for new employer. He did ask if my job-duties are similar, and my reply obviously was "yes". The officer asked if new employer employment letter was in bunch of AC-21 documents, i just handed-over, and I pointed him to employment verification letter as well as ‘ac-21’ supporting document issued by new employer.

In the beginning, soon after taking Oath, he asked if I have attorney with me. I replied "no". He then asked, when I last spoke to Attorney, I said, "after I got this interview letter" for which he commented, "oh, so he knows about this interview." Then he looked at his papers on table, and mumbled "oh, he is in Columbus, Ohio". After which he took my wife's and my signatures that we don’t have attorney present with us, and are representing ourselves.

We thanked the officer at the end and left office.

nani72 said:
I went as detail as i possibly could for the benefit of others waiting for interview.

Thanks for the detail info about the interview...

Few question:

1> What do U think -- in Ur case or in general triggers an interview?

2> Is attorney presence is preffered --- hmm do they charge extra to accompany?

Thanks

Could you tell me why you get the interview? Because you changed the job or what? Thanks for the information!

1> What do U think -- in Ur case or in general triggers an interview?
Call national customer number and initiate enquiry.

2> Is attorney presence is preffered
Attorney presence is not required, but its becoming a trend. Unless you have committed some offense or have some docs missing, anybody could handle interview without Attorney. If all docs are white, I recommend everybody NOT to take attorney.

---hmm do they charge extra to accompany?
dont' forget you are in corporate america. they would charge you for air, hotel, food, service charges, and miscellaneous expenses. 99.99% its not part of green card fee. Check with your Attorney.

nani72 said:
dont' forget you are in corporate america. they would charge you for air, hotel, food, service charges, and miscellaneous expenses. 99.99% its not part of green card fee. Check with your Attorney.

Man -- U are right ..... will a great day for an attroney --- all expense paid vacation -- paid by an poor immigrant...

And I heard most of the interview --- they say no word -- only help to put the interview letter into the bin.

deepfaith said:
Could you tell me why you get the interview? Because you changed the job or what? Thanks for the information!

There is no particular reason, and nobody knows why they transfer cases for local interview. They either do randomly, or for fast processing :D .

But people get nervous with the word "interview" but there is absolutely nothing to worry, if all your docs are white.

Thanks Nani72. Your post is great help! I sent you a private message, pls chk and respond if you wish to. Thanks again.