Atlanta GA - N-400 Timeline

I agree with Supercomp - if you have any suggestions, or help please let us know. It's been 9 weeks since I was fingerprinted, and I've heard nothing...:(

I'm sorry to hear that. Have you contacted anybody at the USCIS yet? Is your case status still active on the USCIS website?

I actually got a little nervous when I saw my case disappeared online, so I called the toll free # and finally got transfered to an immigration officer. He told me the disappearance of case online is normal, nothing to worry, just be a little patient to wait...

I will post my experience of interview on June 4. Good luck to you!

I have noticed some of you who passed the naturalization process went to social security to update information. What's the point of doing that? Can someone pls advise?

I have noticed some of you who passed the naturalization process went to social security to update information. What's the point of doing that? Can someone pls advise?

Usually the USCIS doesn't inform SSA that you have changed from GC to citizen. So when the time period for the GC expires, the SSA thinks you have become illegal. It happened to my wife and she had to go get a new card. When she applied for a job, the background check came back saying she was illegal. So she had to run to the SS office and get it changed.

Well, if you're an immigrant, you're required to notify the SSA if your immigration status changes. While, it most likely won't really affect you any time in the near future, some benefits are contingent on immigration status.

So, chances are you will eventually have to do it at some point, so why not get it out of the way?

I certainly don't think it's something that's time critical.

Fingerprinting done

Hello,

Just got my FP done 5/15 at the Atlanta ASC.

Appointment was at 3PM and it was over by 3.20PM. There were less than 20 people in there.

Now the wait begins for the Interview letter. :)

Oath Completed

I completed oath for U.S. citizenship this morning. The appt. time was 8:30am, got there @ 8:25am, went thru security and then to the 2nd floor.
There were several people seated whose N445 forms were being checked and completed by immigration officers. Was asked to sign the N-445 form. After officer checked the completed form she signed and asked me to go to the oath ceremony room.

In the Ceremony room I gave the GC and N-445 form and verified that all info was correct on the Certificate of Citizenship. I was then asked to be seated.

At 9:05a the ceremony started and was done by 9:40a.

Afterwards went to SSA office and had my status updated.

Thanks to all on this forum for their inputs and advise.

Good luck to those waiting for citizenship interviews.

AK

I completed oath for U.S. citizenship this morning. The appt. time was 8:30am, got there @ 8:25am, went thru security and then to the 2nd floor.
There were several people seated whose N445 forms were being checked and completed by immigration officers. Was asked to sign the N-445 form. After officer checked the completed form she signed and asked me to go to the oath ceremony room.

In the Ceremony room I gave the GC and N-445 form and verified that all info was correct on the Certificate of Citizenship. I was then asked to be seated.

At 9:05a the ceremony started and was done by 9:40a.

Afterwards went to SSA office and had my status updated.

Thanks to all on this forum for their inputs and advise.

Good luck to those waiting for citizenship interviews.

AK

atlanta400, could you please post your timeline?

Sultan100,

Here it is:

DO=ATL
PD=09/18/06
FP=10/10/06
ID=03/19/07
OD=05/18/07

appreciate it atlnta400.

Although my DO is memphis and not atlanta but both have the same Texas serivce center and both (memphis & atlanta) are not ver busy offices like dallas etc so I am trying to follow the timelines here also to see how long is it taking for the applications.

Any guidance on letter to TSC?

All,

I took an InfoPass appointment and went to the Immigration office by the Lavista Road today. First they told me that they are still waiting for FBI name check and there is nothing I can do besides waiting. Then, after reviewing my file a little more carefully, they did realize that I haven't gone through the interview yet and apparently my file is still at the Texas Service Center. The Immigration Officer recommended that I write a letter to the Texas Service Center requesting my file to be moved to the Local Office so that I can at least get the Interview taken care of. I guess initially I had mailed in $70 short so I had received a notice that my application is on hold until I pay off the $70. I had mailed a check on 11/01/06 for the defficient amount which was cleared on 11/10/06 so that should not be the case of such a delay right? Any advise? Has anyone gone through similar situation? If so, did you mail a letter to the Texas Service Center and could I get the letter format? How was your experience?

Also, I just noticed that the Receipt # on the NOA is different from the Receipt # at the back of the checks. If I try to track the Receipt #'s on the checks, I get the following message:
Validation Error(s)
You must correct the following error(s) before proceeding:
Case Status Retrieval Failed
Status for this Receipt Number cannot be found at this time in this automated system. Please check your case receipt number to see if it is correct. If you have questions or concerns about your case status, please contact Customer Service at 1-800-375-5283.

Last edited by a moderator:
Karachite,
My friend who had FP on 1st Nov 2006 received his Interview letter 2 weeks ago. He was also stuck in namecheck. Hopefully your IL might be on the way. Goodluck with that:).

On the other hand, there is nothing wrong in writing a letter and requesting help. Just be courteous and polite in the letter. I am sure you will get a response.

Prasad.

Karachite,
My friend who had FP on 1st Nov 2006 received his Interview letter 2 weeks ago. He was also stuck in namecheck. Hopefully your IL might be on the way. Goodluck with that:).

On the other hand, there is nothing wrong in writing a letter and requesting help. Just be courteous and polite in the letter. I am sure you will get a response.

Prasad.

Prasad,

Thank you for your response. My only concern is that the USCIS officer herself asked me to send a letter to TSC. She found it odd that the file has not be transferred to DO yet esp. since it's over the published PD statistics. Just my 2 cents. Thanx!

Judicial Oath Ceremony

Does anybody know schedule of judicial oath ceremony for Atlanta DO? Anybody knows how to find that? Are they usually one in every 2-3 months or once in 6-8 months?

Name change on N400 is the best way to go

I recently took a infopass to check about oath in Atlanta DO. Officer said it's normally scheduled as soon as they enough people to have a oath ceremony(in Court). She said it would take 6-8 weeks to get the oath or earlier. I feel name change on N400 is better option.

Recently a friend on mine applied for a name change after Naturalization's and it took around 8 weeks had to pay around $80 + runaround to apply for it.

Just hang on there and keep checking your mail box.

Does anybody know schedule of judicial oath ceremony for Atlanta DO? Anybody knows how to find that? Are they usually one in every 2-3 months or once in 6-8 months?

Thanks N400_Oaths

Totally agree with you that N400 is better option. Unfortunately I did not do it and now will be struck with district court name change :( My story is
http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=250627&highlight=n400atl

My wife opted for name change and waiting for oath letter. Our interview was April 17 but she was not included for May 19th ceremony. My guess it ceremonies are 2-3 months apart so some more wait will July.

In my case, I took infopass and gave a signed letter asking to switch ceremony to judicial with a name change but as per infopass Clark, it may be too late since I am in "Oath to be scheduled" status so they will send me letter for administrative oath within 30 days and will not allow any name change. Wish all IO would follow same rule instead of their own interpretation. If my IO had just followed the rule to issue citizenship certificate with the name that is on GC, I would not be in this mess. Oh well !!!

In case of your friend, did he/she hire an attorney to do it or did it himself/herself? Is that something that can be done on your own (besides run around) Is that friend from Atlanta region too? I asked for a quote and one Indian attorney gave me $1400 price for name change !!!!

N-400 case is pending

I like to get some helps from this forum:

I have filed my N-400 application in April/2006, get my fingerprints done in June/2006.
Now if I check USCIS website, I still see my case is pending.
I like to know if anyone has similar experience and if there is a way to know the reason it is still pending. I saw many posts on this thread indicating the total processing time is less than 6-9 months.

Thank you!

marietta,

You need to take infopass and talk to person there. You can take that appt from
http://infopass.uscis.gov/index.php

It is very simple process and in Atlanta, you can usually get next day appt. Keep in mind the fact that people who you will meet at infopass are not very helpful and have no real power. They can just look at the screen and tell you what they see on the screen. They may be able to tell you if your case is stuck in FBI name check. If not stuck in check, then Atlanta DO seems to clear cases in less than 6 months.

Good luck.

Journey is over today! I'd like to thank you all for contributing to this forum, and I personally found it is a very informative link.

My interview of naturalization was scheduled at 8:05am on June 4, 2007. My husband and I arrived 25 minutes earlier and went thru the security point. The office is located on the 2nd floor. I had to check in first at the counter and was told to sit and wait. At about 8:20am, an officer came out and read out loud my name, then I followed him to his office.

The interview was quite smooth; surprisingly he did not ask me to raise my right hand; instead he started asking basic questions which are from the application form that I sent in. 10 civic questions came later, all of them are quite simple. Studying from the booklet is enough!

Then he asked me to read a sentence loud (I forgot the content, but it was so simple), and asked me write a setence in English after hearing him say it. Finally he congratulated me for passing the test and interview, and I was asked if able to stay for the 11am ceremony. After waiting for 40 minutes in the hall, a lady came out with a bunch of papers in her hand, mine was included. The ceremony started right at 11am as scheduled, a cheif officer congratulated us and a lady assistant answered some questions. We went thru the welcome movie from the President and did the oath.

There were 38 people from 22 different countries at 11am ceremony.

The process was fast and officers very friendly and professional. I wish everyone good luck!

My Wife's:
Mailed in application to TSC: 3/20/07
Received by TSC: 3/23/07
PD: 3/23/07
ND: 3/30/07
NOA Received: 4/6/07
FP notice Received: 4/9/07
FP date: 4/18/07
Case Disappeared Online: 4/26/07
IL recvd: 5/3/07
Interview: 6/4/07 8:05 AM
Citizen as of 12PM on 6/4/07

Mine:
Mailed in application to TSC: 3/20/07
Received by TSC: 3/23/07
PD: 3/23/07
ND: 4/2/07
NOA Received: 4/6/07
FP notice Received: 4/9/07
FP date: 4/18/07
Case Disappeared Online: 4/26/07
IL recvd: 5/3/07
Interview: 6/4/07 8:05 AM
Citizen as of 12PM on 6/4/07

We got there around 7:10 AM and the security let us in right away. At 7:20AM, the receptionist opened the window and started taking the appt letters and time punched them. Around 7:50 AM, Interview officers started calling names. I think, interview officers have their own list made up and were calling names in that order, irrespective of the order in which people were time punched.
I was called around 8:35 AM and the officer was really courteous. He asked me to swear and asked me to sit down. He took my GC, passport and IL. He went thru the application really quickly and asking the same questions or repeating the info in the application. I had 8 trips in the last 2 years with periods ranging anywhere from 7 days to 173 days (only 1 trip with 173 days). And I had additional 2 trips after the application (i.e. from March ending '07) with a total 10 trips. I was really worried he was going to ask me lot of questions in that area. I told him about the 2 additional trips and he asked me about the dates. I pulled out a white sheet where I scribbled the dates and started reading from it. IO asked that sheet saying that he can keep that in the file. Apart from that he didn't ask any more questions. He didn't even refer to my passport. He moved onto the arrests/citations/offenses part where I mentioned my speeding ticket. I mentioned that when he asked about offenses and he wrote down something and said he is just making notes and he is NOT going to ask for any additional information.
He then asked me to read out a simple sentence and write a simple sentence ("There are lot of horses in the backyard of the farm" or something like that). He asked 10 questions from the booklet and I got them. He took my GC and said I passed the test and he got all the information he required and doesn't see any reason why my app shouldn't be recommended for approval. And he handed over the sheet to me indicating I passed the test and my app is recommended for approval. I asked him if the oath was going to be the same day and he said "Sure", we will get your oath done today. I cam out around 8:50 AM.
Minutes after I came out my wife was called and she had pretty much the same experience, except that she was asked if she is working and she said yes.
Around 9:40, I received my oath letter and My wife received it after 15 mins. The oath ceremony was scheduled at 11AM and we were citizens by 12PM.

YUP, we are citizens and the long journey has come to an end. Need to go apply for passport today, though.

Thank you all for the fabulous information in this forum. It really helped me to get better prepared and luckily I didn't need any additional documentation (not even SS registration, tax trans etc.,) but better be prepared than otherwise.