Atlanta GA - N-400 Timeline

My Interview Experience

My naturalization was based on 5 years. I came on H1-B and went through all the process to obtain GC.

I arrived at 12:28PM for 12:45 appointment. Officer called me for interview at 1:22PM. She first took the Oath and started with civic test:

1. What do we call first ten amendments to the Constitution?
Answer: Bill of Rights

2. We elect a President for how many years?
4 years

3. What is the name of the Speaker of the House of Representatives now?
Nancy Pelosi

4. Who lived in America before the Europeans arrived?
Native Americans

5. When was the Declaration of Independence adopted?
July 4, 1776

6. Name one of the two longest rivers in the United States?
Missouri

She was asking questions from the paper. She wrote all my answers on the paper with red pen. After that she asked me to read third line on the paper "When is the Independece day?". On the next page she asked me to write answer "Independence day is in July."

After this she started to review my applications. She asked me my name, social security number, home address, home phone, spouse name, spouse status, traveling. Then she went through all the yes/no question one by one. She asked me to show the receipts of tickets. I gave her the certified disposition record that she placed in the file. After asking all the questions she asked me to sign and name the application. She said the cut off time for same day oath is already passed, so I will get oath tomorrow. At this point she congratulated me and gave me notice that I have passed the interview, history and government test. I was back in the waiting room at 1:36pm. Whole process took 14 minutes (from leaving the waiting room to coming back). Then I waited for an hour before I received the oath letter for tomorrow.

My wife had the same day interview. She passed the test, but they could not find her finger print results (she went twice for finger prints). So they asked her to get the police verification report. On the way back we went to Police station and requested the police report. They said they will give us tomorrow at 10:00am. If somebody has finger print done twice it is advisable to get the police report. It cost $15 to get Crimnal background report for Georgia.

Now I am waiting for my Oath cermony tomorrow. Thanks for all the support that this forum has provided.

Congrats

Ifty, Congratulations on your success.

We got our IL on 12 JAN, so we are heading toward the finish line as well.

Does anybody know how they get the questions? Are they randomly computer generated or are they just what the IO feels like asking that day?

CM23

Questions are on pre-printed sheet. They are not generated one. I think they have few pre-printed sheets of questions and they just pick one for you.

My Oath Experience

Since my interview was completed at 1:36pm I got the next day 1:00pm oath. I arrived at the Atlanta USCIS office at 12:37. There was queue outside the building. While I was waiting in the queue the queue get longer and longer. By the time I cleared the security it was 12:57. I went upstairs and showed my Oath letter. She asked me to sit in the first row (outside the ceremony room). A USCIS officer was reviewing the questions written on the back of oath letter. He asked the same questions and signed the oath letter. At 1:32 pm we were asked (one by one row) to go to ceremony room and queue up there. In the ceremony room they took oath letter and showed my naturalization certificate. They asked me to review my information and gave me number. All chairs were marked by number. So I went and sat on my seat. Now waiting game started. What they do they combine all the people from 1:00pm, 2:00pm, and people who got same day oath. People keep showing up until 2:50pm. It was very boring to wait. They could have split the ceremony and complete the batch for 1:00pm, than start with 2:00pm. But I guess they rather look for their own convenience. Here are the now step by step details of oath ceremony with timeline:

2:56pm Start of Oath ceremony
2:57pm Showed a video "Faces of America"
3:01pm Oath (we have to repeat after officer who was conducting oath)
3:05pm Star Spangled Banner anthem
3:07pm President Obama speech
3:09pm Pledge of allegiance
3:12pm A beautiful song
3:18pm Start picking our naturalization certificates in the order

I think if you showed up at 2:00pm for 1:00pm appointment it is still fine, but I don't if security guards at the gate will make any problem as they check you oath letter.

Green Card Date - 01/07/2005

D/O Atlanta

10/09 - N-400 Delivered
10/14 - Check Cashed (10/13 Priority Date)
10/17 - Received I-797C NOA
11/10 - RFE/ FP Sent
11/11 - RFE Text/Email rcvd
11/17 - Received Fingerprint Appt.
11/17 - Finger Prints Done - Walk In
12/01 - Fingerprint appt
12/07 - Confirmed FP's were sent back same day (11/17)
12/10 - Status Change Text Rcvd - sent to DO/ Interview & Testing
12/12 - Interview Letter Rcvd
01/14 - Interview Date - 1:25pm (Thursday) - PASSED!!!!!
01/19 - Oath @ 1pm - Due to MLK Day Holiday (Tuesday)

The interview was nerve racking but just as everybody posts. If you have an afternoon appointment I recommend you get there early as security takes a while (when mixed with the Oath people). Also, take a book, sudooku,etc as I waited for about 1.5 hours for my interview. It appears each interviewer picks their sheet of questions randomly so don't worry about which questions were asked in a specific week. I took so many docs with me - Tax Returns, GC related docs, passports, marriage certificate, birth certificate. All they asked for was my GC. However, I would recommend you bring everything related to your time in the US. I had my I-Phone so I could surf the web. All in all, think of the interview as the icing on the cake, you should have already proved your worthyness and completed your background checks - so don't worry and try to enjoy the end of your immigration journey.

Good luck to all waiting for their special day!

update
RFE notification for FP?
-----
mailed (self/spouse) 12/17/09
recieved at 12/21/09, TX
checks cashed 12/23/09
RD: 12/21
PD: 12/23
485 LUDs(self/spouse) : 1/11
RFE sent in mail(self/spouse) : 1/14 ---- FP?
RFE Email notification(self/spouse) : 1/16

Got RFE Email and Text Message.......

KosmoKramer,
Looks like your's and my process is now togather.....RFE letter is dispatched on same date and email is also received on same date.....let's see what's the finger print date. ? Is your DO is also atlanta?

KC

Last edited by a moderator:
Kruz_patz

I got RFE email and text message too, it seems we are exactly on the same time line

K

Kruz

Yes, its Altanta DO.

looks like friday overnight Batch Job mass mailings.

----

mailed (self/spouse) 12/17/09
recieved at 12/21/09, TX
checks cashed 12/23/09
RD: 12/21
PD: 12/23
485 LUDs(self/spouse) : 1/11
RFE sent in mail(self/spouse) : 1/14 ---- FP?
RFE Email notification(self/spouse) : 1/16

Is Finger Print location for Atlanta, DO , open on Saturday ?

It's frustrating to see that there's no difference in receiving RFE email for those who filed around mid-dec and for those who filed around early Jan. USCIS was having holidays........yeh bhi hota hai happy new year.......Good Luck !!

Is Finger Print location for Atlanta, DO , open on Saturday ?

It's frustrating to see that there's no difference in receiving RFE email for those who filed around mid-dec and for those who filed around early Jan. USCIS was having holidays........yeh bhi hota hai happy new year.......Good Luck !!

Yes, fingerprint locations are open on Saturdays. They are closed on Sunday and Monday.
Whenever I had to give fingerprint, it was always scheduled on a Saturday morning at 8:00 AM

Source: USCIS.GOV- https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?a...or.office_type=ASC&OfficeLocator.statecode=GA

The Application Support Center that serves your area is located in Atlanta, GA.

USCIS Application Support Center
1255 Collier Road, Suite 100
Atlanta, GA 30318.

OFFICE HOURS:This office provides services to the general public by appointment from 8:00AM to 4:00PM, Monday through Friday.

This office provides services to military personnel from 9:00AM to 3:00PM, Monday through Friday. Military personnel do not need an appointment.

Anyone lately, tried to do walk-in FP at Above location on saturday ?
Thanks

Between 27-30 Jan , my guess....for FP date

Yes there is only one center for finger print,,,, but on the other side it doesn't take too long to do FP.