At what stage do we get SSN for H4? After (EAD)?

roro13

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,
I'm just wondering at what stage do we get SSN for H4 visa holders? Is it after getting EAD?

Any insight would greally appreciated.
roro13

You do not get SSN automatically, you have to apply for it.
I think depends on where (what state) do you live, some allow to apply with just H-4, others request to have EAD first then apply for SSN.

Thanks for your reply! I know I have to apply...

But i'm just wondering when should I apply? After I got my EAD I can apply or after I Applied for I-485?
I live in NJ, buy they don't give us the SSN with H4!

Thanks,
roro13

Guyz: The US govt irrespective of any state will not issue SSN's to H4 dependents as they are not supposed to work. There are other visa categories where dependents can work (such as L2) who can work hence can get SSN's. You must be confusing with the driver license. There are some states which are not issuing the DL's unless once has a SSN.

roro13 said:
Hi all,
I'm just wondering at what stage do we get SSN for H4 visa holders? Is it after getting EAD?

Any insight would greally appreciated.
roro13

Hi,

After you get your EAD card just go to the SSA office and you can apply for SSN.

roro13 said:
But i'm just wondering when should I apply? After I got my EAD I can apply or after I Applied for I-485?
I live in NJ, buy they don't give us the SSN with H4!

Thanks,
roro13

You can not apply for an EAD UNTIL you can apply for the I-485. The EAD and AP benefit only come with the I-485 application. Once you have an EAD you can apply for a SSN.

Thanks All! How long after applying for I-485 does it

take to get EAD and AP?

Thanks,
roro13

Hi grunggy, What was your RFE about? (I-485)

I have heard alot about I-140's RFE, but rarely i have seen I-485's RFE!

Thanks,
roro13

abcd123_123_3 said:
Guyz: The US govt irrespective of any state will not issue SSN's to H4 dependents as they are not supposed to work. There are other visa categories where dependents can work (such as L2) who can work hence can get SSN's. You must be confusing with the driver license. There are some states which are not issuing the DL's unless once has a SSN.

Maybe the rules have changed. My friends got SSN for their kid of 5 y.o. when kid was on H-4 visa (no EAD of course), this was in GA in 2000. Also when I was in in CA, first they wanted SSN for DL, so while on H-4 if you want DL (for example as 16 y.o. kid on H-4), you could get SSN based on that. Later they changed it and my daughter got DL without SSN, but she had to go to SSN office to get a denial letter from them...

compass said:
Maybe the rules have changed. My friends got SSN for their kid of 5 y.o. when kid was on H-4 visa (no EAD of course), this was in GA in 2000. Also when I was in in CA, first they wanted SSN for DL, so while on H-4 if you want DL (for example as 16 y.o. kid on H-4), you could get SSN based on that. Later they changed it and my daughter got DL without SSN, but she had to go to SSN office to get a denial letter from them...

Law changed around the end of 2001. SS Admin does not provide SSN for DL any more.

roro13 said:
I have heard alot about I-140's RFE, but rarely i have seen I-485's RFE!

Thanks,
roro13

You can get RFE for any application.
I recieved RFE when applied for EAD renew online, they asked me to send a picture, which I did not attach at the first place.
I got RFE for I485, they just wanted to verify my current employment status/situation.