asylum got denied. what to do next?

Jasmine Smith

Registered Users (C)
hi there? my asylum case got denied while i was on opt. but now opt's duration is over and i am going out of status. for the rebuttal, i hired a lawyer and filed it with the help of him. in the end, got denied. i have talked to the same lawyer again and he wants me to re-apply again. i would like to know what are chances of getting approval this time if i work hard and not make mistakes on the interview.
by the way, situation in my is ever the same. i would appreciate suggestions.

hi there? my asylum case got denied while i was on opt. but now opt's duration is over and i am going out of status. for the rebuttal, i hired a lawyer and filed it with the help of him. in the end, got denied. i have talked to the same lawyer again and he wants me to re-apply again. i would like to know what are chances of getting approval this time if i work hard and not make mistakes on the interview.
by the way, situation in my is ever the same. i would appreciate suggestions.

What is the basis of your claim? and what was the reason they denied you?
If you are still in status, then you can wait until you go out of status and then ask your attorney to request the asylum office to refer you to court or possibly file again and Asylum office will mostly likely refer you to court.

But it depends on why exactly you were denied? How long after your arrival did you file?

What is the basis of your claim? and what was the reason they denied you?
If you are still in status, then you can wait until you go out of status and then ask your attorney to request the asylum office to refer you to court or possibly file again and Asylum office will mostly likely refer you to court.

But it depends on why exactly you were denied? How long after your arrival did you file?

wow, thanks for the prompt reply. Basis of my asylum claim is political. i had all the supporting documents to back my case. I am 95% sure that they denied because i made quite a lot of mistakes during the interview. Inconsistency. i filed after almost 3 years later. i don't think that made any difference.
i am planning to re-apply with new supporting documents. what do you think?

town etstwat

wow, thanks for the prompt reply. Basis of my asylum claim is political. i had all the supporting documents to back my case. I am 95% sure that they denied because i made quite a lot of mistakes during the interview. Inconsistency. i filed after almost 3 years later. i don't think that made any difference.
i am planning to re-apply with new supporting documents. what do you think?

Reading some articles infers that inconsistencies usually affect the credibility of the applicant. Didn't you clarify the inconsistencies they listed in your NOID response? If so then why they denied you again?
If you file with the same situation that you file before then it will be pretty hard to overcome their decision. But if you are out of status then you will get another chance at the court which they will consider the Asylum Assessment report. So it is important to include more evidence, consistency and more precision than your previous application.

Did you get your intent to deny soon after your interview?

Reading some articles infers that inconsistencies usually affect the credibility of the applicant. Didn't you clarify the inconsistencies they listed in your NOID response? If so then why they denied you again?
If you file with the same situation that you file before then it will be pretty hard to overcome their decision. But if you are out of status then you will get another chance at the court which they will consider the Asylum Assessment report. So it is important to include more evidence, consistency and more precision than your previous application.

as much as i could, i tried to clarify the consistencies myself and with the help of my lawyer. however, it failed to overcome the NOID response reasons. i was on opt while i gave an interview. i got the NOID letter after 3 or 4 months after the interview and another 3 months to get the denial.
yeah, i am going to file with the same situation that i can't return to my country anytime soon. this time around, i am thinking about including more evidence, documents and give the interview with the confidence.
by the way, have you come across the situation or case like mine? good or bad.

I personally don't have such experience but there are people in this forum who were denied while being in lawful status.
So you may wanna read their experience. If you are still in status then don't apply yet until you go out of status. Because some cases who don't get approved in Asylum office gets approved at court.
What is your country of persecution? Sometimes it is the country conditions that play alot of role.

I personally don't have such experience but there are people in this forum who were denied while being in lawful status.
So you may wanna read their experience. If you are still in status then don't apply yet until you go out of status. Because some cases who don't get approved in Asylum office gets approved at court.
What is your country of persecution? Sometimes it is the country conditions that play alot of role.

i haven't found anybody here yet who got approval on their second try. i'll go out of status pretty soon. i am waiting. you are right that i've heard court approves cases and the ultimate place to go.
i am from south asia.

Consistency is very crucial in asylum proceedings.It Doesn't matter how many evidences you possess.Try as much as possible to be coherent with your story so the officer or judge can trust you.best of luck for your second shot.

Consistency is very crucial in asylum proceedings.It Doesn't matter how many evidences you possess.Try as much as possible to be coherent with your story so the officer or judge can trust you.best of luck for your second shot.
appreciated that.

I'm in the same situation like you Jasmine. I applied for asylum and got denied on F1. I'm currently on my OPT. I'm looking for a good lawyer for reapplying too. Let me know what is the situation. I think of terminating my OPT and going out of status.

asylum application refer to the immigration jugde

Hi! my asylum application had been referred to the immigration judge and on my 1st hearing he has given me a next year date for master hearing. My attorney told me that I have to bring maximum evidence of persecution of country you are...track of hospitals.......proof of complaints to the police etc...
could someone help me that what will be next..if i couldn't arrange those evidence.......?

Hi! my asylum application had been referred to the immigration judge and on my 1st hearing he has given me a next year date for master hearing. My attorney told me that I have to bring maximum evidence of persecution of country you are...track of hospitals.......proof of complaints to the police etc...
could someone help me that what will be next..if i couldn't arrange those evidence.......?

raam821516,
I am sorry to hear that your case has been referred to the IJ. But you shouldn't take it as a failure. Its another chance for success.

How long did it take the IO to refer you to IJ? And as far as the evidence goes, I believe that IJ will have an attorney to cross examine your case. Therefore, you should be more specific and with as much evidence as possible to beat the government attorney. and make sure to have your attorney represent you in this regard. It is hard for yourself to get the approval, but not impossible.

asylum application refer to the immigration jugde

Thanks for your reply!!!
Actually after been interviewed they told me that i have to come after two week to get you decision and exactly after 15 days i got a letter to collect your decision and I have been told that they are going to refer my case to immigration judge.... I applied my asylum in the month of april 2012.........after all the process I got a interview date in the month of july...........12th of august i got the decision and refer to immigration judge on 22th august.....after been in front of the judge I got another date for next year in the month of march...........I am still confuse about the evidences.......because I was not prepared for asylum when I reached US.....this option I got to know after been in US.....so I didn't realize that I had to take all of my documents from my home country....
so you are requested to help me out what to do if I don't get any help from my home country for the evidences.

Last edited by a moderator: