Asylum General Questions

John_walker

1- When I file the Asylum application and wait for any response or interview date will I have any documents that will allow me to travel within the united states ?

2- Would it be easy for any of my parents to get a US visit visa when I have my green card. I read on few forums that the fact that I have a green card based on an asylum case my parents will be automatically denied any visit visa to the US.

3- Let's say things change in the COP and I no longer fear coming back. Will I be able to close my case and go back to lebanon? Will that effect any future visit visa applications to the US.

4- At what point in my asylum process I can get a California driving license ?

5- Do I get a social security number once I get my work permit ?

Thank you so much for your patience and understanding.

1- When I file the Asylum application and wait for any response or interview date will I have any documents that will allow me to travel within the united states ?

2- Would it be easy for any of my parents to get a US visit visa when I have my green card. I read on few forums that the fact that I have a green card based on an asylum case my parents will be automatically denied any visit visa to the US.

3- Let's say things change in the COP and I no longer fear coming back. Will I be able to close my case and go back to lebanon? Will that effect any future visit visa applications to the US.

4- At what point in my asylum process I can get a California driving license ?

5- Do I get a social security number once I get my work permit ?

Thank you so much for your patience and understanding.

Dear Friend

I want to share with you my experience and legal advice I got

Once you apply for an asylum you get a notification that allows you to stay and travel in US (50 states, 16 territories, and a federal district) until you get a decision about your case ,If you apply for asylum your current status is asylum applicant You have to take note that some territories you will have to go through Customs eg US VI

Wait until 150 days after your case is still pending and apply of Work permit it will take between 30- 90 days to be issued once you have the Work permit apply for Social Security Card

Applying social security card as asylum applicant can be difficult. In some states, Social Security Administration office just do not know whether asylum applicants are eligible to be issued a social security card or not. In some cases, it might just be the Social Security Administration officer who makes the thing hard for issuing the card. Though social security card is controlled by U.S Federal Government, individual states have full power on social security card matters. Therefore, it is important to show all necessary documents of your asylum application, especially those papers and letters you have received from Asylum Office, USCIS and your attorney office, and give proper explanation to Social Security Administration officer if you realize you are going to be denied explain that Social security card is mandatory in most circumstances for you as a job seeker to prove to any legal employer that you have permission to work.

It used to be the easiest state to get a Driving license , But from my experience in Washington State they have currently revised their state law to comply with REAL ID act , To be safe you need a Social Security Number - The card , Form I 766- EAD and proof of Residence ,Am not sure of CA laws but soon you receive your EAD apply for Social Security card and apply for DL later

Hi John_walker,

DoubleAA has responded to your post quite extensively. I would like to add some bits and pieces to your inquiry.

About your parents or siblings back in your home country getting a US visit visa, there is no simple and direct answer to this complex question. Us embassies all over the world operate with this assumption in their mind... "Every alien shall be presumed to be an immigrant until he establishes to the satisfaction of the consular officer, at the time of application for admission, that he is entitled to a nonimmigrant status..." So they have to satisfy the officer that they have no intentions of relocating to the states. Based on your asylum in the states, the consulate officer interviewing your parents may assume that they too have intentions to stay in the states, so your parents or siblings must be able to show that they have no intentions of relocating to the states.

Asylum cases can be closed at anytime you want to. This should be done administratively or in court if your case has proceeded to an immigration judge. However, if you do opt out or close your case, it may affect your near future visit to the states. Now, lets get this straight, you will not be banned from visiting the states, but it may take a while before your consulate issues you a visa again. Asylum is a remedy and a privilege extended to foreign nationals in fear of persecution, so your withdrawal will leave a bad taste that will take some time to recover.

Waz!

One More Question

Thank you so much for your informative replies !

I have one more question !

Are there any quotas for each country. In other words is there any specific number of asylees UCIS can't exceed ?

Thank you

I don't think there are quotas. Asylum is not skilled worker emigration thing. It would be very undemocratic if there were quotas.

If you decide it is safe to return to your country of persecution and voluntarily give up your asylum status, it should work in your favor if you apply for a nonimmigrant visa in the future. There is no greater proof that you are not an intending immigrant than the fact that you gave up protection voluntarily when you no longer feared return. IMHO