Asylum GC Estimate

den

Registered Users (C)
Hello everyone!
I am posting this message again, since my last posting went to general category and I don't see anyone there...
I need your help with my GC estimate for asylum case.
Rupnet.com have a tracker but it seems like it's only for EB cases.

My info:

PD/RD 06/20/2002
ND 07/06/2002
FP 07/20/2004

Thanks in advance for your time and effort!

Denis

Date Received (Mail Date) Timeframe to be Processed
May 10, 2002-Aug. 19, 2002 Oct. 1, 2010-Sept. 30, 2011

den said:
Hello everyone!
I am posting this message again, since my last posting went to general category and I don't see anyone there...
I need your help with my GC estimate for asylum case.
Rupnet.com have a tracker but it seems like it's only for EB cases.

My info:

PD/RD 06/20/2002
ND 07/06/2002
FP 07/20/2004

Thanks in advance for your time and effort!

Denis
Unfortunately you will have to wait 6 more years unless congress acts and issues a bill that remedy this travesty. You will have all the rights and benefits of a permanant resident but you will have to wait much longer for your citizenship. God help you. it took me 11 years to get my green card.

shamshon said:
Unfortunately you will have to wait 6 more years unless congress acts and issues a bill that remedy this travesty. You will have all the rights and benefits of a permanant resident but you will have to wait much longer for your citizenship. God help you. it took me 11 years to get my green card.

Not all rights and benefits of a permanant resident, such as you can't apply for post jobs and police jobs, not qualify for $5000 low income aid for first time house purchase.

asluser said:
Not all rights and benefits of a permanant resident, such as you can't apply for post jobs and police jobs, not qualify for $5000 low income aid for first time house purchase.
Are you sure of these 3 examples? I would double check if I were you. I think there are many police officers who are asylees.

shamshon said:
Are you sure of these 3 examples? I would double check if I were you. I think there are many police officers who are asylees.

Yes. definitely.

1) post job--One of friends has passed the exam with a very high score. She was interviewed, but she was turned down for at least for GC; She is an aslyee in NYC.

2) Police job--please check the link for applying NYPD requirments:
http://www.nypd2.org/html/recruit/requirements.html

3) Up tp $5000 aid for first time house buyer--I have applied for it and I was asked for GC/US citizen.

4) There are a lot jobs requiring at least GC.

Last edited by a moderator:
asluser said:
Yes. definitely.

1) post job--One of friends has passed the exam with a very high score. She was interviewed, but she was turned down for at least for GC; She is an aslyee in NYC.

3) Up tp $5000 aid for first time house buyer--I have applied for it and I was asked for GC/US citizen.

Not sure about police. However, your number 3) is completely false. I work for Fraud Investigation firm and as long as you are legal resident (you don't have to be GC holder), you are eligeble for any benefit they have. You can sue them for this because it is discrimination (although it is very hard to win, but you can ask to talk to supervisor or go higher). Sometimes, certain financial institutions have their internal policies and this could be one of them, but there are thousounds of these institutions. Just go to different one.
Regarding jobs, in my experience, only goverment and army contractor’s jobs require GC. Most of the regular jobs don't require GC.

Just my few cents ...

nofreedom said:
Not sure about police. However, your number 3) is completely false. I work for Fraud Investigation firm and as long as you are legal resident (you don't have to be GC holder), you are eligeble for any benefit they have. You can sue them for this because it is discrimination (although it is very hard to win, but you can ask to talk to supervisor or go higher). Sometimes, certain financial institutions have their internal policies and this could be one of them, but there are thousounds of these institutions. Just go to different one.
Regarding jobs, in my experience, only goverment and army contractor’s jobs require GC. Most of the regular jobs don't require GC.

Just my few cents ...

That's only my personal experience. For the federal house aid $5000, I have checked the bank which was in the federal program twice in three years. The answers were that asylee not qualified for and came after getting GC.

For job part, if you try to get a job in NYC, you will find how important of a GC. Don't count every HR will be an immigration expert.

Law is a law, the real world is the another. Think about the 22000 unused GC quote for asylee.

You are right regarding "real world". However, I just don't like injustice. So, whenever I can, I fight it. Couple of years ago I applied for the auto loan, and they refused me on the same grounds -asylee. I asked for written proof, which they did provide (stupid ..) Then I called them, asked for supervisor and told them that this is a lawsuit waiting to happen. I am a legal resident, and that is all they need to know, and if they don't approve me, my lawyer would contact them. It took them half an hour to approve me.
Same for the house. However, I never took the loan because other circumstances, but I was approved. Sometimes don’t even tell them that you are an asylee. When they ask you for your immigration papers (if they ask you) then show them your I-94 where it says INDEFINITE, if you don’t have it, I would suggest going to local office and get the new one. Also, make sure you change your SSN card to remove that INS restriction. From that point, nobody will ask you anything. And even if they do, you don’t have anything to hide. I have a Federal Stanford loan; I got federal aid when I was in school including scholarship. I paid instate tuition just like resident. They never ask me anything when I renew my driver license. And remember, there is always a bank in this country that will give you a loan. They might run your loan and name through the system I built (most likely) and of course through terrorist list, but other than that, you should be fine. Try ditec.com, try Bank of America, US bank … try some online banking that can borrow money in NY. There are so many possibilities that you just have to try. If they ask for immigration status, just say legal resident (which we are).
For the job: just make sure you have valid SSN card, and what else they need? Just search for documentation on this forum that tells you that Asylees can legally work (never mention on the interview unless then ask you). On your I-94 you should have “VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT” or something similar. My suggestion, try on million places, you will find one that will help you. Trust me, I went through the same thing, and finally it worked out. I never had a single problem that I couldn’t solve because I was/am asylee (except with USCIS :)
As for the federal house aid, how come they asked you about your asylee status?? Did you tell them? Just say you are legal resident. Go to different office or wait until different officer shows up and try again.
Hope this helps. I understand what are you saying, but you will have to fight. Don’t give up because of stupid and uneducated people … We are here to encourage and help each other …

cider_or, I checked. Did you send me anything? I don’t see it … Try again.

Nofreedom,

I am appreciated your efforts to struggle. But not everything can be done this way. Let tell you another story of mine. A few months ago, just before rate rising. I like a house and want to buy it. I was pre-qualified by Washington Mutual. Since Citibank has special program with certan low points for my company. I need mortgage for Citibank. So I gave all my info, including I-94. Do you know how long time Citibank giving feedback? THREE WEEKS. During the three weeks, the rate increased from 5.35% to 6.5% for 30-year mortgage. Could you fight the point down?

In conclusion, Asylees have most of benifits as GC, but not all of them. Even the benifits asylees deserved, asylees still need extra time and efforts to get them. So we need to find a way for all asylees to get their GC as quick as possible.

Hi,
I am still fiting IJ decision he denied my asylum,now after 16yr's I am still waiting for federal court,but I never had problem with bank's , loans, credit or what so ever,as long as you have ss#,and good credit,you will have no problem.
I live in New York NY, all you need is EAD,if somebody ask you for GC over EAD than that person got isues with you. Only Govermant and military need GC. :D

shamshon said:
Thanks Shamshon,
It's not what I wish to hear, but I guess nothing we can do about it...

Last edited by a moderator:
asluser said:
Yes. definitely.

Read the document again. You have to be a US CITIZEN to become a police officer. Having a green card will not do.

asluser said:
Nofreedom,

I am appreciated your efforts to struggle. But not everything can be done this way. Let tell you another story of mine. A few months ago, just before rate rising. I like a house and want to buy it. I was pre-qualified by Washington Mutual. Since Citibank has special program with certan low points for my company. I need mortgage for Citibank. So I gave all my info, including I-94. Do you know how long time Citibank giving feedback? THREE WEEKS. During the three weeks, the rate increased from 5.35% to 6.5% for 30-year mortgage. Could you fight the point down?

In conclusion, Asylees have most of benifits as GC, but not all of them. Even the benifits asylees deserved, asylees still need extra time and efforts to get them. So we need to find a way for all asylees to get their GC as quick as possible.

I showed them my asylum proof and they treated me as a permanent resident, no problem at all.

nofreedom said:
You are right regarding "real world". However, I just don't like injustice. So, whenever I can, I fight it. Couple of years ago I applied for the auto loan, and they refused me on the same grounds -asylee. I asked for written proof, which they did provide (stupid ..) Then I called them, asked for supervisor and told them that this is a lawsuit waiting to happen. I am a legal resident, and that is all they need to know, and if they don't approve me, my lawyer would contact them. It took them half an hour to approve me.
Same for the house. However, I never took the loan because other circumstances, but I was approved. Sometimes don’t even tell them that you are an asylee. When they ask you for your immigration papers (if they ask you) then show them your I-94 where it says INDEFINITE, if you don’t have it, I would suggest going to local office and get the new one. Also, make sure you change your SSN card to remove that INS restriction. From that point, nobody will ask you anything. And even if they do, you don’t have anything to hide. I have a Federal Stanford loan; I got federal aid when I was in school including scholarship. I paid instate tuition just like resident. They never ask me anything when I renew my driver license. And remember, there is always a bank in this country that will give you a loan. They might run your loan and name through the system I built (most likely) and of course through terrorist list, but other than that, you should be fine. Try ditec.com, try Bank of America, US bank … try some online banking that can borrow money in NY. There are so many possibilities that you just have to try. If they ask for immigration status, just say legal resident (which we are).
For the job: just make sure you have valid SSN card, and what else they need? Just search for documentation on this forum that tells you that Asylees can legally work (never mention on the interview unless then ask you). On your I-94 you should have “VALID FOR EMPLOYMENT” or something similar. My suggestion, try on million places, you will find one that will help you. Trust me, I went through the same thing, and finally it worked out. I never had a single problem that I couldn’t solve because I was/am asylee (except with USCIS :)
As for the federal house aid, how come they asked you about your asylee status?? Did you tell them? Just say you are legal resident. Go to different office or wait until different officer shows up and try again.
Hope this helps. I understand what are you saying, but you will have to fight. Don’t give up because of stupid and uneducated people … We are here to encourage and help each other …

cider_or, I checked. Did you send me anything? I don’t see it … Try again.

As a general rule, FEDERAL jobs require American citizenship. Having a GC or not makes no difference.

For jobs in the private sector, they in general CANNOT hire only citizens and those with a physical GCs. But they CAN hire only citizens, permanent residents, asylees and refugees. In other words, they CAN REFUSE to hire people on EADs.

asluser said:

Asluser,

A few years back I bought my first house in Virginia. And I qualified for all kinds of special aid as an asylee.

asluser said:

ONLY CITIZENS can be a cop (in most places) or post service employee (nationally).

hampton8844 said:
Asluser,

A few years back I bought my first house in Virginia. And I qualified for all kinds of special aid as an asylee.

Different states or different banks explain the laws in different ways. I failed to apply the housing aid in NYC.