Asylum and SSN

twix&snikker

Registered Users (C)
I was checking the official website of the Social Security Department, and there I found that I can apply for a SSN which will be marked "Legal Alien, NOT alllowed to work". This type of SSN can be used to obtain a legal Driving License according to their Website. I have already passed the verbal and driving test, and the local DMV says I have to produce the SSN to get the License disc. Now here is the interesting part - I printed the Application form online, went to the local Social Security Office, with my Asylum Documention, and I was told my I-94 had expired and that I am not legally permitted to be here. Furthermore, I cannot apply for and receive a SSN. I am confused, why does the website indicate for the purpose of getting a Driving License I can get a SSN, but the actual SS Office says this is not possible? I am also well aware that even if an I-94 has expired the fact that a case for Asylum Application is pending outcome, an applicant is authorized to remain in the country - my feelings are that this system is soo big that it works sometimes, and other times regulations are not upheld, this is discouraging especially for people who out of all nations in the world chose to come here for safe passage and refuge. Has anyone had this experience where you are trying to do things accordingly and find yourself hitting a brick wall? I woul like to hear if anyone has had this experience, and how you get an offical driving license even when two departments such as the DMV and the SS don't seem to know either what the process is all about!

My suggestion is to either wait until you have your work permit or reappy without showing them your expired I-94, just evidence that you have an asylum case pending.