Asylee what do you DO for living??????????

I have heard stories where people in your situation personally explaining your predicament to the deans or even the provosts of the schools to which you seek admission. They have been generally able to waive the original transcript requirement.

Give it a shot and good luck.

Hhemc said:
I am in a very bad situation. back to my home country I was working on the PhD in polymer science () when I had to leave country without getting my degree. Here i decided to continue my education and after getting the asylee status in august 2004 I applied for PhD and master's degree to several universities here in California. But I have one huge problem. All universities require original transripts sent from institutions where degrees were earned. The university I graduated from would never issue any document concerning my education under no circumstances because they KNOW I why I left the country and they deniend my requests for transcripts. I do have my own copy of original documens along with my diplomas but no university will accept copies of trascripts (they need official papers with seals and institution's headings and labels). I also have the results of credentional evaluation confirming that my degrees correspond to that of the US but nobody wanted to take it into account. So, guys I couldn't finish the application process. I really want to study here but I didn't want to begin from the ground up. Same problem - I have very high qualification in my specialization, but all positions avaiable in this field require citizenship and clearance I won't get in the nearset future (about 15-20 years). At that time I will be 45 and I am pretty sure that there will be a lot of young smart competitive guys with whom I will be unable to compete. What to do? Well, I am now working as manager in a furniture store, I support myself, but if this is not who I wanted to be all my life.

usa2002 said:
I have heard stories where people in your situation personally explaining your predicament to the deans or even the provosts of the schools to which you seek admission. They have been generally able to waive the original transcript requirement.

Give it a shot and good luck.

Thanks. I now really realize that I wasn't very active in contacting directly the admissions office and maybe this fall I will be luckier.

Hhemc said:
Thanks. I now really realize that I wasn't very active in contacting directly the admissions office and maybe this fall I will be luckier.

I almost had the same problem like yours when entering graduate school.

Try to talk to admission persons and proffesors . You must be pro-active. The one that you need is an good explanation "why you can not get an official transcripts". You are a little bit lucky, If still having an original transcript. just translate to english and bring ( with a good explanation) to them to approve that you are really interested in studying .

good luck

petejengkol said:

Try to talk to admission persons and proffesors . You must be pro-active. The one that you need is an good explanation "why you can not get an official transcripts". You are a little bit lucky, If still having an original transcript. just translate to english and bring ( with a good explanation) to them to approve that you are really interested in studying .

good luck

You are right. I have definetely to do it, i didn't do it before because I was a "freshmen" here and it was only some months after my comming to USA and gettign asylum status and there was NOBODY who could advise me what to do. This time I will be smarter, especially know when I have found this great forum. Thanks guys for all your replies. It is really very important to talk to people who are in the same situataion as I am. Again thanks a lot.

petejengkol said:

good luck

You are right. I have definetely to do it, i didn't do it before because I was a "freshmen" here and it was only some months after my comming to USA and gettign asylum status and there was NOBODY who could advise me what to do. This time I will be smarter, especially know when I have found this great forum. Thanks guys for all your replies. It is really very important to talk to people who are in the same situataion as I am. Again thanks a lot.

If u somebody have original transcript then that person can do evaluation (it costs only 150$). www.wes.org

Thats the company I dealt with. They made full evaluation and even gave me average GPA. It tokk them 1 month though. Then I got accepted to DEVRY univercity for my second bachelors.

ayyubov said:
If u somebody have original transcript then that person can do evaluation (it costs only 150$). www.wes.org

Thats the company I dealt with. They made full evaluation and even gave me average GPA. It tokk them 1 month though. Then I got accepted to DEVRY univercity for my second bachelors.

Did you used your credential evaluation instead of your transcripts? If so it would be great for me because I have evaluation confirming both my bachelr's and master's degree. Will universites accept this evaluation without trasncrpits?

Well I did not get assylum yet, even if i am here 17'Y's , I am still waiting and hopping that will get it prety soon my attorney said not to vorie. :rolleyes:
I am Light show , laser designer,programer and operator.
Doing big concerts, shows corporated events,traveling cros country with big names in intartainement,freelance for Brodcast tv as a cammera assistant and sometime participate as a consultant in LightShow Designing and programin in Brodway i designed programed and operated one one show it was of the bdway ,it supouse to last only 6 week it lasted 4month ....the rest you know .
For 17 y's I was asked only ones for prof of immigration, and thats was my fallt .
I had great life in my country to till dam fu%^&$*# war started than I had to live everything and run.
Good luck to all of us ,but I think iam the one that mostly need it.
care2much

Care2much said:
Well I did not get assylum yet, even if i am here 17'Y's , I am still waiting and hopping that will get it prety soon my attorney said not to vorie. :rolleyes:
Doing big concerts, shows corporated events,traveling cros country with big names in intartainement,freelance for Brodcast tv as a cammera assistant and sometime participate as a consultant in LightShow Designing and programin in Brodway i designed programed and operated one one show it was of the bdway ,it supouse to last only 6 week it lasted 4month ....the rest you know .
For 17 y's I was asked only ones for prof of immigration, and thats was my fallt .
I had great life in my country to till dam fu%^&$*# war started than I had to live everything and run.
care2much

Why haven't u got Green Card through employment yet?

Care2much said:
care2much

Care 2 much, Senator McCain 's new bill my address your problem. Let us keep our fingers crossed

Hhemc said:
I am in a very bad situation. back to my home country I was working on the PhD in polymer science () when I had to leave country without getting my degree. Here i decided to continue my education and after getting the asylee status in august 2004 I applied for PhD and master's degree to several universities here in California. But I have one huge problem. All universities require original transripts sent from institutions where degrees were earned. The university I graduated from would never issue any document concerning my education under no circumstances because they KNOW I why I left the country and they deniend my requests for transcripts. I do have my own copy of original documens along with my diplomas but no university will accept copies of trascripts (they need official papers with seals and institution's headings and labels). I also have the results of credentional evaluation confirming that my degrees correspond to that of the US but nobody wanted to take it into account. So, guys I couldn't finish the application process. I really want to study here but I didn't want to begin from the ground up. Same problem - I have very high qualification in my specialization, but all positions avaiable in this field require citizenship and clearance I won't get in the nearset future (about 15-20 years). At that time I will be 45 and I am pretty sure that there will be a lot of young smart competitive guys with whom I will be unable to compete. What to do? Well, I am now working as manager in a furniture store, I support myself, but if this is not who I wanted to be all my life.

Don't worry, is just matter of patience, if a nasty piece of crap can become a doctor imagine what you can reach. Step by step.

Hhemc said:
Did you used your credential evaluation instead of your transcripts? If so it would be great for me because I have evaluation confirming both my bachelr's and master's degree. Will universites accept this evaluation without trasncrpits?

You can try. Usually Univercities here don't need original diplomas but require official evaluation. Your best bet is to talk to admission office.

Hhemc,
If you were doing your PHD's back home.Atleast you already have your BA or MSC.So I advice you to apply for the high-tech industry as a polymer-scientist/chemist.I work with guys from all over the world which graduated from foriegn countries and know they work as scientists and chemists.

/
Gebre said:
Hhemc,
If you were doing your PHD's back home.Atleast you already have your BA or MSC.So I advice you to apply for the high-tech industry as a polymer-scientist/chemist.I work with guys from all over the world which graduated from foriegn countries and know they work as scientists and chemists.

Gebre
I would like to but I have very narrow spesialization (I am not a chemist, but I worked with polymers in electronics) that absolutely requires clearance to apply for a job. I really don't like to vaunt myself but I am an expert in this field in which I can and I'd like to work.I do have BS and MS and what I wanted to do is to complete another MS or better PhD in order to shift my field (or broaden it) to a more common. Maybe it's a stupid idea, I don't know.

I had this same problem many years ago when I applied to Wharton. It worked out eventually after I requested an interview with the dean of admission to explain the situation.

So do talk to higher-ups. Most admission deans should have dealt with this type of situations before.

Hhemc said:

hampton,
Maybe it works when you live not very far from the university, but imagine you apply for admission in other state. I think this time I will send them copies of my original transcripts with english translation, credentional evaluation report and a detailed explanation why I am unable to have my university sent transcripts directly to them. I hope it will work.

Hhemc said:
hampton,
Maybe it works when you live not very far from the university, but imagine you apply for admission in other state. I think this time I will send them copies of my original transcripts with english translation, credentional evaluation report and a detailed explanation why I am unable to have my university sent transcripts directly to them. I hope it will work.

If you really want to attend a school, investing in a trip is worth it (I think in borderline cases visiting helps your chances of getting admitted).

If you cannot visit, you can send an email directly to the admission dean or call her on the phone.