Asylee Status

Jack Archer

Registered Users (C)
There are policies and regulation clearly defining that Asylees can apply for SS card with no employment restriction legend, receive the same benefits as Refugees, and qualify to pay in-district tuition when attending US colleges and universities.

Recently I helped a newly arrived asylee in obtaining a SS card, enrolling in school etc. And guess what? Everywhere I go we meet government employees who are not "doing their homework." (I mean study all the latest regulation and policy updates.) I have to go through a hard time educating them on the new policies and regulations. For example, there was a social security office clerk who stubbornly insisted that Asylees can only get a SS card with employment restriction legend. And then there was a college registrar who said Asylees need to obtain I-20 visa to attend to college in the US. Worst of all, there was an IIO at the NSC who doesn\'t know what "Asylee Adjustment Cut-off-date" is. There are also people in the corporate world who only understand "greencard" and J visas. One job ad I found in the local job postings said "Only for US Citizens and GreenCard holders."

I think I speak on behalf of most people in here when I say I am tired of having to educate most public office employees who do not know the policies of the institutions they work for.

Ok, that\'s enough whinning from me. I just came here to advise the asylees that be sure to print out copies of the new regulations and policies etc when you go to the offices to get the rights you deserve.

SS Card without employment restrictions

Hi all,

this is quite an interesting site - I noticed that JackArcher mentioned that as an asylee, one\'s SS card does not need the
employment restriction - can I get any more specifics on the
laws that outline that - cause I have run into the same level
of ignorance and giving the amount of time it is going to take
for adjustment of status to LPR (my application for LPR was
submitted in early 2000 ), I figured I should get as many other
things done right as possible. The SS card without an employment
restriction would be one of them.

Also, what kind of risks do I stand if i attempted to travel
outside the US (i.e. obtained an advanced Parole), and returned
back. I would also have to get a refugee travel document since
I no longer have a passport.

thanks for the help

RJ

Thanks

Jack,

Thank you very much for the information - I have been taken
my adjustment status rather lightly and have been rather
naive in believing my lawyer when he stated that my case
would be up for adjudication around October of 2002. Having read
stuff on this portal, i wouldn\'t bet on it - on the contrary, I\'d
consider myself rather lucky if that actually did happen.

both you and Gilbert are doing a lot of good - keep it going!!!

Asylee Adjustment

Hello:
I am just wondering if recent barbaric attacks will have any impact of adjustment processing time. I applies for adjustment in Nov.98 and still waiting

Rosiee