Asylee N-400 Interview Experiences and 2009 Tracker

Please update us, did you pass your citizenship

Thank you for asking shefe

Interview was scheduled on 2-15PM and probably 30 minutes after this time I was called to the office by looks-like-seventy-years-old-white-lady. She was angry, looking at my case and complaining so much has to be done and she might miss her train (I guess to Long Island"s all white and prosperous suburbs). I am white myself but feel like I have much better understanding from black folks. Anyway, I was pretty scared by this verbal outburst about how much troubles I am presenting to this wonderful little old lady. But generally she was not horrible, just grouchy not vicious. By the end of my sweating and rumbling she gave me N-652 form with the marking in “You passed…” and “Congrads! Your app has been recommended for approval” boxes and handwriting at the bottom “do not wait for letter”.

And now, one week later I am sitting with the same story like before interview on Case Status page. I do not know what to wait for. Definitely not for the letter, as old lady wrote on the bottom few minutes before her LIRR train.

Thanks, you should get your passport.

Thank you for asking shefe

Interview was scheduled on 2-15PM and probably 30 minutes after this time I was called to the office by looks-like-seventy-years-old-white-lady. She was angry, looking at my case and complaining so much has to be done and she might miss her train (I guess to Long Island"s all white and prosperous suburbs). I am white myself but feel like I have much better understanding from black folks. Anyway, I was pretty scared by this verbal outburst about how much troubles I am presenting to this wonderful little old lady. But generally she was not horrible, just grouchy not vicious. By the end of my sweating and rumbling she gave me N-652 form with the marking in “You passed…” and “Congrads! Your app has been recommended for approval” boxes and handwriting at the bottom “do not wait for letter”.

And now, one week later I am sitting with the same story like before interview on Case Status page. I do not know what to wait for. Definitely not for the letter, as old lady wrote on the bottom few minutes before her LIRR train.

Citizen interview/lost passport

Hi

Could someone answer these two questions:

1. I have misplaced my PP. I coud not find it now. So what will happen if I do not bring my PP to the citizenship interview?

2. I am planning to relocate to the another state. Is it possible to have terview in one state and oath in another state

Appreciate very much for your information. :)

Visiting COP

Hi everyone,

I had my interview in NYC. It took about 10 min or less. I was approved on the spot and advised to wait for the oath letter, which I did. :)

Yes, I renewed my passport and went to COP three times (short trips) - I listed all trips on my application. No questions had been asked. However, being a member of this forum for years, I had all kind of docs with me to defend my decision to go.

No questions about asylum whatsoever. Just wanted to share. Good luck to everyone.

Hello rustik...you said that you visited your COP 3 times...when did you do this? being an asylee/refugee or you were already a GC holder? Thanks!

Visiting COP

Hello rustik...you said that you visited your COP 3 times...when did you do this? being an asylee/refugee or you were already a GC holder? Thanks!
Visiting COP is not an issue...well, it depends on the citizenship officer conducting your interview. Some will ignore it, others will not, will ask you all kinds on uncomfortable, potentially deadly queries. In order to limit such uncertainty, not going to COP until citizenship is obtained is always advised.

Hi
My asylum case is pending is New York since 180 days. My bio metrics were done within one month of my application received by USCIS and after that I never heard any thing from them. I am very stressed out. Is there anyone else who is going through the same situation?And also DHS website doesnt recognizes my receipt number but USCIS website does. Is it something I need to worry about?

Last edited:
Hi
My asylum case is pending is New York since 180 days. My bio metrics were done within one month of my application received by USCIS and after that I never heard any thing from them. I am very stressed out. Is there anyone else who is going through the same situation?And also DHS website doesnt recognizes my receipt number but USCIS website does. Is it something I need to worry about?
You have posted in the wrong thread

NP Renewal

Asylee has not renewed NP but some others in family with derivative asylum status had renewed their NP. RTD is lots of money, short validity and too much waiting. All of us were asked and checked at our citizenship interview for any visit to COP. Renewal of PP was not a issue I felt as long as you did not visit COP. My advise unless you really have a great advantage or some big emergency do not renew NP or visit COP. Anything to do with COP was looked at in detail during our interviews. Visits to COP are definately a red flag and really makes no sense if you are an genuine asylee !!

As per the postings here and our own personal experiences while travelling on NP and GC each time we came back sometimes it was a wave thru and sometimes it was a secondary inspection. So I realized it is random and IO dependent. But on every visit we were asked if we had been to our COP. The IO after sliding our GC used to ask which countries did you visit, how many days were you outside of US and did you visit COP. Sometimes they asked what we are doing for a living.

But keep track of all postings on this board as the focus of USCIS has changed over years and you should always know what is happening now.

Hi @InQ4GC thank you for your post, this is helpful.
I am in this big dilemma, about travelling abroad with GC + National Passport as an asylee, My national passport is still valid for 3 years. Its easy for me to get visa to third countries using it. RTD is a lot of hassle. although i have one valid with me.

My question is:
- During N400 Interview, are they concerned about me traveling to third countries like Mexico, Australia, Europe, Canada. (Not my COP).
- How should i respond to questions like: Why did you use your National Passport to travel and not use RTD?

thank you

Sister's Citzenship Experience

I will probably add this to the sticky where all have explained their citizenship experience.

My sister got approved for citizenship last week. Basically the officer asked her lots of questions about her asylum. Here are few:

Why did she renew passport?Her answer was that when she got her GC in 2003, they required you to get stamped thats why.

If she went back to her COP. She didn't so her answer was No.

Where are her parents and what do they do professionaly? Are they at COP and if they are..do u have any contact. I was wondering why they asked her that. Any insights on this?

Basically according to her its not a walk in the park for ex asylees. They do ask lot of questions about your original asylum claim according to her.

Hi do they really give a hard time for ex asylee?
do we have to recall every memory we had experience?
using our national passport, as an asylee to travel abroad not COP can cause problems?

thank you

Almost there!

I can see the promised land..finally :D
I thought I would put my timeline here, although I submitted my application back in November of 2008, I think it's still relevant to share good news to this forum, and to those former asylees like me to have good moral in pursuing their dreams.
Lot's of controversial issues has been discussed and still being discussed since there are no black and white on some of the immigration laws.
Here are the facts that I have and ( possibly only) applicable to me, therefore please observe your own discretion since every case is different.

1. Am I a former asylee? yes
2. Have I renewed my COP passport? yes several times, and I used them for inernational travel instead of Travel documents.
3. Have I gone back to COP? yes, once and I did get questions at SFO airport
4. Did they ask me anything about point #2 and #3 during the Citizenship interview? NONE whatsoever, and my trip to COP was listed in the application.
5. How long the interview last? about 20 minutes.
6. A few more weeks to go the Oath Ceremony.

I wish everyone GOODLUCK!!!

Thank you for sharing your experience.

I have a dilemma and questions for you:
- Can i travel abroad not to my COP using my National Passport which is still valid + GC ?
- I wont be travelling to COP.
- I am worried if i am asked about why did i use National Passport to travel abroad what should be my answer? duing N400 interview.
- Were you put in secondary inspection on airport while returning back and showing your asylee GC + National passport?
- would like to learn your ideas on how you travelled with national passport + GC and no travel documents.

your opinion is highly appreciated thank you.