Asylee and employment

Bri999

Registered Users (C)
I got a job offer from a big auto manufacturer and start next week, what documents should I take with me to proof that I am elgible to work with no restrictions if I don't have the Employment card (since asylees dont have to carry it anymre)...my friend just scared me that with big auto manufacturers they require citizenship and he is blaming me for not mentioning the issue up front for them, but I really didn't mention it because I didn't want it to become an issue when they are making the decition, Any help is approtiated, thanks to everyone in advance

Bri999 said:
I got a job offer from a big auto manufacturer and start next week, what documents should I take with me to proof that I am elgible to work with no restrictions if I don't have the Employment card (since asylees dont have to carry it anymre)...my friend just scared me that with big auto manufacturers they require citizenship and he is blaming me for not mentioning the issue up front for them, but I really didn't mention it because I didn't want it to become an issue when they are making the decition, Any help is approtiated, thanks to everyone in advance

If they require citizenship, you will not get the job. Maybe your friend meant they require residence. In that case you will not have any problem.

Just take your SSN CARD and your drivers license. The auto manufacturer job doesn't require Security clearance like most government jobs do so you would be ok. ONLY U.S Citizens can get a Security clearance.

The HR can't ask a document from you. Go to USCIS.GOV and print the I-9 form and fill it up..and circile Item #2 SSN CARD & ITEM # drivers license..That way you are prepared to give your documents without them looking at the options...has worked for me in the past

I posted a similar question a few days ago under the thread "EAD question". You may want to look at some of the responses I got. I will definitely be trying to use my SSN and state driver's liscence. Will see if this works. Let us know what worked for you and i'll do the same.

Bri999 said:

OK bri just got approved for GC but this will help others. Wantmygcnow is absolutely correct - a valid SSN (with no restrictions) and a valid DL will suffice in proving your employment eligibility. HR departments have access to verify that an individual is 'employable'. This issue has been discussed in greater detail in the past few years. Anyone looking should do a search as I had posted some valuable sites with info in the past.

Asylees are like PRs in every sense except we don't have a GC and the time we live as asylees does not count towards citizenship. This is the law and no-one can refute it.

Thanks Loli , WantmyGCNow and everyone, that is what I'll take with me to my first day, the social security card and D.L....but since I just got the approval email, but not the actual card, can I check on that (eligibility for employment form) permenat resident eventhough I don't have my card yet and not sure what the GC # will be? anyone?