Asylee adjustment cut-off date

No Title

Thanks, Alan.

I came to the U.S. as a derivative asylee in November 97.

The Form I-485 was filed with NSC in December 98.

I got my receipt in February 99. No contact from the INS since then.

It is interesting to see if my application will be approved before my FA 2A date becomes current.

No Title

Hi Bobbie,

Forgive my ignorance. But is FA 2A something to do with applicant\'s 21st birthday deadline? If that is the case, I was browsing through the INA yesterday and the INS has some *special* filing instructions for I-485 applicants who will turn 21yr of age while their application is pending.

If FA 2A is what I think it is please reply here. I can find you the section of the INA where it refers on such matter.

No Title

Don\'t lose your hope yet. There are currently ongoing efforts by sumpathetic politicians such as Congresswoman Shiela Jackson Lee to increase the Asylee GC quota. Also, Pres. Bush can increase the quota in Presidential Determination FY2002 if he think that is appropriate action to take. Also the AILF is leading a band of asylee plaintiffs who filed their I-485s before July 1998 in a legal action against the INS.

So as you can see there is more than one individual or group trying to increase the Asylee GC quota. But how the result of these efforts will turn out (atleast in my opinion) is in God\'s will.

As an asylee you can participate in letter writing campaign. There is not an organized campaign ( I want to start one if I can have some free time and resources) , so you will have to write your own letter.

No Title

Jack,

I was actually talking about a Form I-130 Relative Petition that my wife filed for me. She has been a permanent resident for a two years.

No Title

I see....so you were granted derivative asylee status through your wife, correct? Did you and your wife file the I-485 together?

No Title

Yeah, I agree with Alanpero that some of the SC processing dates you may find at various internet sources may not be accurate. I\'ve seen some lawyer web sites saying I-485 processing time for asylee is 300 to 400 days.

No Title

Now, as of June 30, 2001 they are reporting between 960 and 990 days. Does it make any sense? No. As said, that processing time information is useless, at least the one reproted for asylees.
And they keep the same date for initial processing (6/2/98), as explained in last paragraphs of 6.1.1.

No Title

When I called NSC last year an IIO told me average processing time for asylee I-485 filed at district office is 36 to 40 moths.
 Now my case is "under the process of being adjudicated."

No Title

Hi Guys,

I just found this at this address. I think this is for people who filed at the LA district office. Happy reading :)

http://www.google.com/search?q=cach...ory=187+485+asylee+adjustment+delay&hl=en

ASYLEE AOS

Question 16:Which date (i.e. date of filing I-485, date of asylum grant, date of AOS grant) is utilized to determine priority for adjustment of status under Section 209 of the INA?

Answer: It is the date of filing the I-485.

Question 17: How do we determine if a §209 adjustment applicant is on "the list" for issuance of a visa number?

Answer:Gloria Ramirez in the continued unit has those cases. INS estimates about 1000 are remaining in the Los Angeles Office. After June 1998 all asylum adjustments had to be filed at the NSC.

Question 18:What is the §209 adjustment cut-off date for the current fiscal year?

ANSWER: All asylum adjustments filed before January 6, 1998 can now be processed for the I-551 stamp. Fax inquiry to Gloria Ramirez at 213-894-3864.

Update on Staffing and Policy Changes and Current Processing Times:

(a) Have there been any staffing changes?

ANSWER: Roger Hodgson is the new Assistant Regional Director for Detention & Removal. Robert Vaness is the new Assistant Port Director. Dan Hesse will now supervise the I-751/I-130/Advance Parole Unit, the Application Support Centers, and the Plaza del Sol Office. His telephone number is 830-5104 and the fax number is 830-5103.

(b) Have there been any policy changes?

ANSWER: Dennis Perry will continue to supervise the adjudication unit, including room 2024. 30 new DAO\'s have been assigned to the adjustment of status unit.

(c) What are the current processing times for adjustment of status applications filed with the District? How much notice is being given for appointments?

ANSWER: Clients with control dates of Nov 1998 are now being scheduled for interviews. NACARA applications transferred from the TSC (about 1000 files) should be scheduled for interviews within the next 6 months. DV applications will be scheduled for interview as soon as the INS receives the confirmation package from the State Department. Any inquiries can be made to the attention of Gloria Ramirez.

(d) For Naturalization applicants: What is the current processing time between the date of filing and the preliminary interview?

ANSWER: 1 - 2 years. Interviews are scheduled by applicants zip code.

(f) What is the current processing time between the date of passing the preliminary interview and the Naturalization ceremony?

ANSWER: Oath Ceremonies: approximate time from approval date to ceremony date is 4-5 weeks. Oath ceremonies are scheduled for January 25 & February 16th at the Fairplex in Pomona/3500 in the morning only, and February 8th at the Sequoia in Buena Park. There will be 3 ceremonies at 900 persons per ceremony.

Next Meeting: February 22, 2001 at 9:30 am

Respectfully submitted, Mary Mucha LACBA Immigration Section Executive Committee Member

Perry. If no response, contact Jane Arellano. Her telephone number is 213-894-6004 and her fax number is 213-894-3864.