Assembly technique

xhshen

Registered Users (C)
I have no idea how to assemble tons of documents to make it easy for review. Any self-petitioner who has experience please help? I am particularly interested in how to organize the exhibits with the index.
thanks.

Anything beyond NSC guidelines? Anybody?

I am using a 3 ring binder 3" and tabs for exhibits available at Staples. I have also made 2 punch holes on top to facilitate ACCO prong fastners as directed in the NSC guidelines. I can\'t manage my petition (about 450 pages, with prong fastners and bottom tabs.
I\'ll be following this discussion closely for further suggestions.

No Title

INS strongly advises to use ACCO fastner for assembly purposes. You can staple small documents but do not use large staple, which they may have to take out later. Best thing to do is, use annexure 1, 2 etc in your index for each of your documents and use flags/tabs to indicate where they are. Put all of them together at the end using one ACCO fastner. It becomes very neat and convenient.

small exhibit question

Thank you guys for your valuable input. Now I am clear that we should use tabs to label each exhibit and use ACCO fastner to put them together.

Another question may arise: for small exhibit such as an email saying you are a reviewer for a joural may consist of only a couple of pages, do you staple it or not?

If yes, when you put all your exhibits together, the left-upper corner will be much thicker than other places due to many staples there.

If no, one exhibit could be separated in a mess when the INS officer disassembles it.

Any suggestion for this issue?

Anybody used 3 ring binders for exhibits successfully?

I wonder if anybody successfully filed a petition with a 3 ring binder. Although I am making provisions for ACCO prong fasteners (2 punch holes on top) I feel 3 ring binders organize exhibits conveniently and efficiently with ease of removal.

Here is what I did

My EB1-OR was approved last December in TSC and I did everything by myself. My package has 300+ pages. I had to use two ACCO fasteners because the largest fastener I found can hold max 200+ pages. Per INS guidelines, you should put tabs at the page bottom if you prefer tabs. I realized that I need over 20 tabs to make things clear. Putting so many tabs at the bottom is not easy and looks pretty messy. I could not find any off-shelf product from OfficeMax or Office Depot with tabs at the bottom. Thus I did not use tabs.

Instead, I had a Table of Contents (List of Exhibits) and numbered all pages sequentially. It was like a book. I printed page numbers as footnotes which look like this: Exhibit 3, Page 2 of 5. Page 123. On the List of Exhibits, I clearly identified start page number and total number of pages for each Exhibits.

I punched two holes at the top. The location of holes must follow INS standard which can be found on any INS original forms. I did not use any staple.

Right or wrong? I got my approval without RFE.

How did you number the pages?

Hello, eb1tsc,

Thank you for anwsering questions again! My question for your method of assembling is: How do you number the pages? It is very easy if your exhibit can be editable in word, but for some exhibits, they may be a pdf file or photocopies of brochures and certificates etc that are not editable, how did put numbers on these exhibits?

Another minor question is do you double-side or single-side your documents?

Thanks

Holes

hi, where did it say about the location of holes on any INS original
   forms. I couldn\'t find it.. Is it in the instruction?.

Office Max

Makrand, I bought tabs this morning at Office Max. It\'s called "Self-Adhesive Index Tabs", $3.5 for 25 labels.

Holes and page numbering

INS does recommend that we punch two holes at the top. The size and locations of two holes can only be found on original INS forms which may be ordered from INS website. There are no instructions on the form, but you can find two physical holes at the top of the form. I punched those holes at Kinkos.

I hand-wrote some page numbers and printed most of them. I simply created a blank MS Word document with footnotes only, and placed the final package in my printer\'s paper tray. This can be painful if your document (paper) is sticky because your printer may grab more than one page at a time. I believe hand-written page numbers in a blue pen should be OK since the text of most docs are in black.

Good luck to you all.