• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

AS000010XX toughcase

toughcase

Registered Users (C)
My wife just received a notice on April 16th from Kentucky Consular Center indicates that she will be one of the possible recipient of diversity visa 2008. She is a citizen of Japan and I am citizen of Taiwan. We are currently live in the US under H1B visa and we have been in the US since 1997 (both with F-1 visa when we came). I was wondering if anyone can give us some guidelines or steps that we can follow if we decide to have the Interview in Japan. I read a lot of articles on the Internet, but none of them seem to apply to our case with husband and wife came from different countries.

Also, based on the notice she received, it suggests us to prepare some documents, such as birth certificate, police certificate, military records, marriage certificate, evidence of required education or work experience, and evidence of support. Some of the items are quite simple, such as marriage certificate (we were married in the US, so no problem) and evidence of required education or work experience (we both received our college degrees in the US); however, items like police certificate, military records, and evidence of support are the ones that I have trouble with. Base on our currently situation, we have lived in US - California for about ten years and rarely visit our birth countries (once or twice per one or two years, two weeks tops for each trip), I was wondering, as the spouse, where I should obtain police certificate. Kansas? California? Or, Taiwan? By the way, I attended a short language program (December 96’ to April 97’) at Ottawa University, KS when I first arrived in US before I move to CA. On the other hand, she was in CA since 1997. Also, how far back does the record has to be?

As of the military record, I did attend the required military service when I turned to 20 years old in Taiwan, so what kind of record or information do I need to present during the interview? Ranking? Last, I do not understand what “evidence of support” is. Is this a separate document to show our “Financial Support” or “Evidences” of support for the documents we presented?

Finally, regarding to the medical reports, where should take the health exam? How early should we take before the in interview? Some vaccines I had before, but I do not have the exact day of them. Will this affect on our chance of getting the permanent residency?

I understand I asked many questions; however, I just don’t want to mess this up since this will be our first and might be the only chance of getting our permanent residency. I really appreciate any information or feedback you guys provide.

if you decide to do CP, you have to do in the home country of the principal winner (your wife) but you can also consider AOS. the choice is yours: in my opinion, since you case number is bit higher CP will do better

I don't agree with hermias, you have very lower (AS10XX) case number, based on DV06 it became current on November 2005 and DV07 it became current in October 07. If you do CP you have to go to Japana probably twice but if you do AOS you do not need Police clearenece and other papers from your country except the Birth Certificates. You can do medical exams from here, you will find lot of info from this forum.

Thanks hermias and m1rahim for your feedback. My lawyer suggested mywife and me to do CP in Japan, he believes the chance of passing interview is higher than do AOS in US. He mentioned that embassy outside of US do not have so many DV cases and they will most likely inform you even if you do not pass the interview (instead of let you keep waiting). This probably was based on his experience, I am sure it's not 100% true but it does make some kind of sense. He also told me that the closest interview center at where I live is terrible.

As a spouse, what kind of documents do I need to prepare? Is it same as my wife? I did attend the required military service when I turned to 20 years old in Taiwan, so what kind of record or information do I need to present during the interview?

Sorry, let me rephrase that~ For CP outside of US, what kind of documents do I need to prepare as a spouse? Is it same as my wife? I did attend the required military service when I turned to 20 years old in Taiwan, so what kind of record or information do I need to present during the interview? :confused:

First of all congratulations on winning the lottery! It's a great feeling, don't get too worry about the preparation. You have few documents to gather but at the same time you have alot of time. I was in a similar situation but not exactly the same. Me and my wife were the winner of DV2007 from Indonesia, we're both have been living in the US for quite some times also (Students/H1 Worker) before we finally received our green cards. Now to answer some of your concerns:

Base on our currently situation, we have lived in US - California for about ten years and rarely visit our birth countries (once or twice per one or two years, two weeks tops for each trip), I was wondering, as the spouse, where I should obtain police certificate. Kansas? California? Or, Taiwan? By the way, I attended a short language program (December 96’ to April 97’) at Ottawa University, KS when I first arrived in US before I move to CA. On the other hand, she was in CA since 1997. Also, how far back does the record has to be?

You and your spouse have to obtain Police Certificate from places that you've stayed for over 6 months. It has to go back as far as when you two were 16 years old. You don't have to get US Police Certificate

As of the military record, I did attend the required military service when I turned to 20 years old in Taiwan, so what kind of record or information do I need to present during the interview? Ranking? Last, I do not understand what “evidence of support” is. Is this a separate document to show our “Financial Support” or “Evidences” of support for the documents we presented?

I'm not sure what kind of documents you have to show for the military record since I don't do any military service in my past.

For evidence of support you could submit your own financial evidence or have a freind/relative filed a I-134 form on your behalf. Basically the form ask about their financial strength and saying that they will support you to prevent you from becoming a public charge. If you think that you have evidence of good financial strength then you don't need to file the I-134. In my case, I just want to be safe and I submitted both

Finally, regarding to the medical reports, where should take the health exam? How early should we take before the in interview? Some vaccines I had before, but I do not have the exact day of them. Will this affect on our chance of getting the permanent residency?

We took ours in Indonesia, hence they required us to go to appointed clinics/hospitals. Some people that decided to take the CP route have theirs medical check in the country of the CP.

For vaccines, even though you had taken them but you need to show any evidences that you did. In my case, even though I had them as a child I ended up getting all of them again. It's not a big deal just sore arm.

I learned and received alot of help from this forum and others. I'll be more than happy to do the same here. If you still have any questions feel free to PM/email me. Good luck & God Bless!

Speedys4,

First, thank you for your feedback. As I mentioned in the beginning of this thread, my wife is the receiver of the NL, so I am just the beneficier. She is Japanese and I am originally from Taiwan, but we are in US (since 1997) currently under H1B and planning to do CP in Japan.

So, based on what you said, I only need to get the police report from Taiwan, but I don’t need the police report from US? I thought “every place you stayed for more than 6 months after you turn 16”. Since our CP will be in Japan, I kept thinking that Taiwan will for sure be the first country I need to get police report (I came to US since I was 23). Then, I’ve been in the US almost 10 years, so shouldn’t US be the second country I need to get police report? If “YES”, do I need it for each state I stayed for more than 6 months (I was in Kansas for about 6 months for language program)? If not, could you tell me why don’t I need US police report? Sorry~ I just want to and need to make sure.

In addition, about “Evidence of support”, can we use the statement of our saving account as evidence of support? If “YES”, is there any minimum amount we need to have in order to use it as “Evidence of support”? Also, since both my wife and I are working under H1B, can we use our H1B visa or salary statements as “Evidence of support”? How about using my diploma as an “Evidence of support”?

As you can imagine, I will never forgive myself, as the beneficier, if I mess this opportunity up because of my mistake (either presenting wrong documents or wrong personal information). Gosh~ this is hard!

So, based on what you said, I only need to get the police report from Taiwan, but I don’t need the police report from US? I thought “every place you stayed for more than 6 months after you turn 16”. Since our CP will be in Japan, I kept thinking that Taiwan will for sure be the first country I need to get police report (I came to US since I was 23). Then, I’ve been in the US almost 10 years, so shouldn’t US be the second country I need to get police report? If “YES”, do I need it for each state I stayed for more than 6 months (I was in Kansas for about 6 months for language program)? If not, could you tell me why don’t I need US police report? Sorry~ I just want to and need to make sure.

No, you don't need to submit US police report. I've been in the US since 1996 for about 9 years, I didn't submitted an US police report. I believe that the reason that they required you to submit a police report is to see if you've comitted any crime in the past. The US gov will have your criminal record in the US (if you comitted any) but no record from other countries. That's why you don't have to submit the US police certificate. One thing that you need to have is evidence that you've filed your taxes in the previous years. 1040 Docs

In addition, about “Evidence of support”, can we use the statement of our saving account as evidence of support? If “YES”, is there any minimum amount we need to have in order to use it as “Evidence of support”? Also, since both my wife and I are working under H1B, can we use our H1B visa or salary statements as “Evidence of support”? How about using my diploma as an “Evidence of support”?

The meaning of evidence of support is that to proof that you're capable to survive in the US and won't become a 'public charge'. This is the list of the things that you can show to the Consular as an evidence. Bank statement, salary statement, assets (house, investment) and i-134. Refer to the poverty guideline (http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1327.html) to know how much funds you need to have. As the benificiary, you don't have to show your diploma, only your wife is required to do so. My wife (benificiary) tried to show her diploma but was returend during the interview. You could just show the consular any of the items above, but some people (including me) just want to play it safe. So we gave them our bank statement and the i-134

As you can imagine, I will never forgive myself, as the beneficier, if I mess this opportunity up because of my mistake (either presenting wrong documents or wrong personal information). Gosh~ this is hard!

The first time could be frustating, but believe me it's not that bad at all once you've gone through everything. Please visit this site to help guide you

http://immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=215048

Thanks for your feedback Speedys4,

I was wondering how crucial I-134 is. Does I-134 only apply to principle? Since my wife is the principle of this DV case, but she does not have any close relative in US. So, can it be the spouse's close relative to fiill this form?

Let's assume I might not be able to find someone close enough to help me fill this form, will large amount of sum in the bank be good enough as evidence of support for just my wife and me? Or, do we still need I-134?

Thanks!

Thanks for your feedback Speedys4,

I was wondering how crucial I-134 is. Does I-134 only apply to principle? Since my wife is the principle of this DV case, but she does not have any close relative in US. So, can it be the spouse's close relative to fiill this form?

Let's assume I might not be able to find someone close enough to help me fill this form, will large amount of sum in the bank be good enough as evidence of support for just my wife and me? Or, do we still need I-134?

Thanks!

I-134 apply to both of you. So it could be anyone that's willing to support/vouch for you. For me, it was my wife's brother in law who signed the form. On question #11, it asked that if the supporter willing to make a special contribution. My borther in law put that he's willing to provide room and boarding for one year. This is the link to the form http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-134.pdf you could go over it to understand it.

Yes, as long as you can proof that you have enough to support the 2 of you. Please refer back to the poverty guidelines that I posted in the previous message. I always tell people that it's always good to 'over' prepared than no preparation at all, so any backup plan (I-134) would be nice.

About required documents

Congraturations! I know how excited you are because I am DV-2004 winner. I also have a close friend who just won DV-2008, and I'm helping her. My friend's case number is AS 8XXX, so your wife got a great number!!! Oh, and I am Japanese :)

In addition, about “Evidence of support”, can we use the statement of our saving account as evidence of support? If “YES”, is there any minimum
amount we need to have in order to use it as “Evidence of support”? Also, since both my wife and I are working under H1B, can we use our H1B visa or salary statements as “Evidence of support”? How about using my diploma as an “Evidence of support”?

About I-134, I don't think it's required document. It is usually submitted if applicants can't prove enough amount of money.
If you and your wife have been working as H1B holder, you can submit the following as evidence of support besides I-134.

• bank statement for 12 months
  • employment letter from each employer (statement about occupation, salary and benefits)
  • some recent pay stubs (optional, but highly recommended)
  • copy of recent tax form (optional, but highly recommended)

About police certificate, you don't need one from U.S.
"This certificate must cover periods of residence of six months or more in the applicant's country of nationality and country of present residence. For other countries this certificate must cover periods of residence of 1 year or more"
Your wife can get Japanese police certificate through Japanese consulate in U.S., but it will take months. So, apply early.

Some of the items are quite simple, such as marriage certificate (we were married in the US, so no problem)

I'm not sure if US marriage certificate will be accepted since I am single.
Usually Japanese couples submit Japanese family register "Koseki Tohon" to prove the relationship.

About medical examination, check US Embassy site in Japan (Immigrant visas)
If you have vaccination records, bring it to the hospital when you take exam.
Then, a doctor will check if you need vaccination or not.

http://japan.usembassy.gov/e/visa/tvisa-faqlist.html

If your wife is Japanese, I recommend the following site. It is in Japanese,
but she will get the idea about steps and required documents.

http://www.geocities.co.jp/SilkRoad/3712/

But, the information is basically for Japanese (or Japanese couples), so I am not sure if all info apply to your case.
Also, he is DV-2003 winner, so be aware that some info is old though he updates regulary.

I hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi tommackie,

Thank you so much for your feedback.

About I-134, I don't think it's required document. It is usually submitted if applicants can't prove enough amount of money. If you and your wife have been working as H1B holder, you can submit the following as evidence of support besides I-134.

• bank statement for 12 months
  • employment letter from each employer (statement about occupation, salary and benefits)
  • some recent pay stubs (optional, but highly recommended)
  • copy of recent tax form (optional, but highly recommended)

There is no problem for us to get the bank statements, pay stub, and tax form; however, there might be with employment letters since both of our bosses are under paying us for what we are doing. Besides, she is not planning to tell her boss (Japanese) about DV, there is just too much going on between her boss and her. Also, my boss does not even offer benefits. So, I am not sure letters from our employers will help us in this situation.

About police certificate, you don't need one from U.S.
"This certificate must cover periods of residence of six months or more in the applicant's country of nationality and country of present residence. For other countries this certificate must cover periods of residence of 1 year or more"
Your wife can get Japanese police certificate through Japanese consulate in U.S., but it will take months. So, apply early.

So, basically, I just need one from Taiwan since that this only country I have ever stay more than 6 months other than US.

About medical examination, check US Embassy site in Japan (Immigrant visas)
If you have vaccination records, bring it to the hospital when you take exam.
Then, a doctor will check if you need vaccination or not.

I was wondering if the medical covers everything, such as X-ray, vaccines …etc. Since I am planning to go back to Taiwan before interview, I was thinking to take an x-ray and vaccines; however, I am not sure if the embassy in Japan will accept the x-ray from Taiwan even it’s sealed.

My wife just told me the hospital where you perform the health exam requires you to wear only underwear and socks. Is it true? Also, do you still remember how much you spent for the health exam?

I hope this helps!

Great help!!! Thanks!!!

Hi toughcase,

It is nice to have employment letter because it can prove that you are employed and your will be. But, I understand your situation.
About evidence of support, it could be any combination. So, don't worry. In my case I just turned in bank statement.
But, It is safe as long as the amount is more than they expect. The more is the better.

So, basically, I just need one from Taiwan since that this only country I have ever stay more than 6 months other than US.

Yes

I was wondering if the medical covers everything, such as X-ray, vaccines …etc. Since I am planning to go back to Taiwan before interview, I was thinking to take an x-ray and vaccines; however, I am not sure if the embassy in Japan will accept the x-ray from Taiwan even it’s sealed.

Hmmm, I'm not sure about it. Since US embassy in Tokyo clearly states that applicants have to take medical exam at "desgnated visa medical examination facilities," I'm afraid that they don't accept it. Since they are the one who do interview, You might want to contact US embassy in Tokyo. (It's not fee though...) Since there are only 6 facilities (3 in Tokyo, Yokosuka, Kobe, Okinawa), many of Japanese applicants take medical exam in Tokyo 1 or 2 day before interview. Some of them issue medical report next day with additional cost.

My wife just told me the hospital where you perform the health exam requires you to wear only underwear and socks. Is it true? Also, do you still remember how much you spent for the health exam?

It is partly true, but they gave me something to wear. I think it is just to save time so that they don't need to wait applicants changing cloths. (I might be confused with another complete exam I took ... )
In my case, it costs a little bit over $300. But, US Embassy give us estimates:

How much is the medical examination.

The fee for persons age 15 and older (adults, who require an HIV test) is 25,000 yen. The fee for persons younger than age 15 (children) is 14,000 yen. Next-day-service is available only in Tokyo at 33,000 yen for adults and 22,000 yen for children. The examination fee does not include the cost of any required vaccinations.

So, you can save money if you have vaccination records. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi toomackie,

How are you? Could you explain what did they do during the medical exam? I meant did they take your x-ray and did they give you any vaccine?

Also, if you recall, could you tell me what they asked you during the interview?

Thank you so much!

Albert

About medical exam & interview

Hi toughcase,

I'm good. I see you are worried about procedure. I took a look at my friend's NL, but it doesn't explain much, does it?
Don't worry, you will receive 2nd letter one and half or 2 months before interview, and it contains more details.

About medical, I don't remember much, but it consists of:

• Physical (including height, weight, eye exam, urine analysis etc.)
  • Chest X ray
  • Blood tests for HIV and venereal desieses
  • Vaccination

In my case, I brought all of my vaccination records, so I didn't take any.

Also, if you recall, could you tell me what they asked you during the interview?

If you have taken H1B interview, you get the idea. My interview was very short.

Q) Why do you want to live in US?
A) Because I really like it.

Q) Where are you going to go?
A) Illinois because I used to stay there.

Q) Do you have any plan for work?
A) I would like to be a Japanese teacher.

That's it! It was less than 5 minutes. That's probably because I was single, and I didn't have any visa at that time. (Actually, I had F1. But, I went back to Japan after graduation. So, they didn't need to deal with it.) I overheard other couple's interview. It was mostly about work probably because they need to take care of family. I saw one case was denied, but I don't know exactly what the problem was... You won't have a problem unless you have history of illegal stay, illegal work or some criminal records, which I don't think you do. Don't worry too much. If you fill out forms accordingly and prepare all required documents, you are going to be GC holder :)

Tamaki,

How many pictures do I need for the whole process? What are the sizes of them? As far as I know, the picture size for medical exam is different from those for application, right?

Thanks

Hi toughcase,

About pictures, I don't remember much. Also, picture requirement is different from one I prepared for DV-2004.

As far as I know, the picture size for medical exam is different from those for application, right?

Yes, it's different.