As Recession is imminent...is it a good idea to change the employer

labor_replace

Registered Users (C)
I am getting other offers...is it a good idea to change employers. Some say yes and some say no...

Do I still have to maintain good relationship with my past employer? if I change.

Thanks

I personally believe in never burning your bridges, so no matter how much you dislike your current employer, always keep good relations with them. One never knows when you are going to need them in the future.

Stoned!

What difference does it make? In a recession your current employer would still lay you off. As far as layoffs are concerned, the main advantage of staying with the current employe is that you'll probably get a bigger severance package if you have a number of years of service with them, whereas the new employer would probably give you something very small like two weeks pay.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think the severance package is relevant to consulting cos.
Not sure what the policies are with the Big-4 though.

I don't think the severance package is relevant to consulting cos.
Maybe not. But labor_replace didn't say anything about working for a consulting company.

I work for a Fortune 500 company (not consulting) and they do give severance packages. I'm kind of hoping they'll lay me off next year so I can take the money and put it towards my own business...;)

Labor_replace works for a Desi consulting company. I want to get away from Desi company and that is why this question came up. Severance? What is it?
In Desi company...forget it.

Severance Package

Maybe not. But labor_replace didn't say anything about working for a consulting company.

I work for a Fortune 500 company (not consulting) and they do give severance packages. I'm kind of hoping they'll lay me off next year so I can take the money and put it towards my own business...;)

Hi, If you get a severance package, that means that the position that you worked will no longer be available for you or any one to rejoin. But some where between the lines of 485 process, the old position should be available for you to join again. Gurus please correct me if I am wrong. I got this info from a top attorney in mid west. Check with your attorney on this.

Hi, If you get a severance package, that means that the position that you worked will no longer be available for you or any one to rejoin. But some where between the lines of 485 process, the old position should be available for you to join again. Gurus please correct me if I am wrong. I got this info from a top attorney in mid west. Check with your attorney on this.
You will need another job, or at least a job offer, to properly complete the I-485 process. That would usually have to be with another employer (because if the original employer still wanted and needed you, they wouldn't kick you out in the first place).

Last edited by a moderator:
You will need another job, or at least a job offer, to properly complete the I-485 process. That would usually have to be with another employer (because if the original employer still wanted and needed you, they wouldn't kick you out in the first place).
does the job have to be similar ? s.ware to s.ware ?

does the job have to be similar ? s.ware to s.ware ?
can anyone let me know what happens in these scenarios -
I / one of us (who is on EAD) loses his job after 180 days - 140 approved. can he find a similar job and still continue with his GC. I guess yes. does he have to file 140 again in the new company ?

- change jobs after 180 days - go into a different profession (software to mech engineering or business analyst) - but leave on good terms with the agreement that he will join the old employer after getting the green card

- what happens if job is lost just before applying for EAD renewal ?

Thanks in advance - I guess with retro and recession above - many of us will be in one of the situation above

can anyone let me know what happens in these scenarios -
I / one of us (who is on EAD) loses his job after 180 days - 140 approved. can he find a similar job and still continue with his GC. I guess yes. does he have to file 140 again in the new company ?
No need to file a new I-140 if the new job is "same or similar".

- change jobs after 180 days - go into a different profession (software to mech engineering or business analyst) - but leave on good terms with the agreement that he will join the old employer after getting the green card
Technically OK, but there could be a credibility issue. If USCIS knows you're working in something entirely different while you wait for the GC, especially a profession that pays a lot more money such that going back to the employer would be a big pay cut, they might not believe that you'll really go back so you may have to do some extra work to convince them.
- what happens if job is lost just before applying for EAD renewal ?
You have to get another "same or similar" job before USCIS decides your case. And you should apply for EAD renewal at least 3 months before the current one expires to minimize the possibility of a gap between expiration of the first one and approval of the renewed one.

Thanks for yr reply Jack. appreciate the same ..am sure others do too since you are giving yr opinions even after getting yr GC