As N approaches Zero

wherezgc

Registered Users (C)
When is the most dangerous time for an I-485 applicant to get laid off?

Some would say before 180 days, but this is not true. The really troubling time is when you are 1-2 months away from being adjudicated.

The real nightmare scenario is getting laid off, and then a few days/weeks later you get an RFE notice in the mail. What can anyone do in such a circumstance? No one can find jobs in 3-4 days the way people used to back in 97-2000.

Local transfer's are only a bit better as they give a few more extra weeks to respond to a layoff.

My RD is 11/27, and I am going through a nervous period like this right now.

wherzgc,

But that concern would be limited to only, if u get an RFE and that too for, last few paystubs (or may be employment letter).

if it is desi company which is processing the GC then it helps. Last year I was laid off by a NJ based desi small company in May,2001 and it took me 4 months to find an employer who was ready to transfer my H1 but for that I needed paystubs from my NJ employer. He made paystub for me for 2 months May and June and for July and Augsust he wrote a letter that I was on unpaid leave(fortunately at that time I got married in USA itself and that was a good reason for leave) and all these documents worked.Thank god, my H1 transfer was approved. However this time it was an American company who laid me off a few days ago in a few hrs notice.\

Try having good rapport with your employer even if you, god forbid, get laid off, that may help a lot !

Good luck