Article on retrogression

? Nothing new.
BTW, I wouldn't say that retrogression was initially caused by PERM.

Nothing new here ..

texancanadian,

Thanks for posting the informative article. Most of the facts are well known in this forum. All such articles can be summed up into one sentence ...

"Retrogression is a direct result of irresponsible and illogical policies on the part of the US government (creating and extending 245i's), DOL (creating BECs and implementing PERM without proper planning) and USCIS (approving cases without any set policy or regard for PD while everything was current)."

Nothing more needs to said regarding this. You will find a lot of people justifying this retrogression by stating that the demand is to high, or to many Indians are in the system etc etc. All this is true but there is no jusitifying people getting their GCs in 6 months a few years ago and others like us having to wait for years on end now.

regards,

saras

Last edited by a moderator:
Like the previous replies, I agree there's nothing we don't already know. The 245i part confirms the assumption most of us made on the "April 2001" cutoff date for EB3 PDs earlier this year.

And I also would add, even though many of us benefited from this, the increase of H1-B quotas during 1999 to 2001 or 02 (not quite sure). For those who came here during those years, is known that due to the Y2K "transition" the quotas for H1-B were increased more than 200% to cover the demand for IT professionals. If my memory serves me right numbers were from 65K to 210K in a 4 year period. H1-B is the "gate" to permanent residency based on employment, and this increase likely had an impact on the retrogression. Add the 245(i) and... voila! retrogression is here. :eek:

Fortunately, there is AC21, giving us freedom of change employeers (given certain conditions), let's think about it, many of other people who were in our shoes years ago, did not have this advantage.

I don't know if I am being "excesively optimistic" but, at leats it helps to soothe the waiting (mine going for 3+ years now, seeing friends getting theirs in less than 2 years).

Cheers! is friday :p

saras76 said:
texancanadian,
Nothing more needs to said regarding this. You will find a lot of people justifying this retrogression by stating that the demand is to high, or to many Indians are in the system etc etc. All this is true but there is no jusitifying people getting their GCs in 6 months a few years ago and others like us having to wait for years on end now.
saras

Even if congress increases numbers, without properly solving the problems you mentioned, a whole new generation of visa waiters will be created.

Absolutely right ..

GreenCardVirus said:
Even if congress increases numbers, without properly solving the problems you mentioned, a whole new generation of visa waiters will be created.

GreenCardVirus,

I am afraid you are absolutely right my firend. Simply adding more visa numbers may bring temporary relief but will not change the fact that a total rethink of this process is needed. Changes have been made to different stages without analyzing their effect on other stages. The sad part if that this process is probably not going to change much at all. If you are from India and have filed under EB3 or are planning to file under EB3 then its almost equivalent to purchasing a lottery ticket and hoping that your number hits. This might be an exaggeration but it sure feels like it these days :)

regards,

saras

I hope the new spec. processing will get people in-line better. But for people like us who have stuck there for so many years, there is nothing can be done. We can only hope the newer people will not suffer as we are. :D