Article: FBI Name Checks and Projected Naturalization Processing Times

anijhawan

Registered Users (C)
Update on Pending FBI Name Checks and Projected Naturalization Processing Times
Link: http://www.dhs.gov/xnews/releases/pr_1220993097713.shtm
Release Date: September 9, 2008

For Immediate Release
DHS Press Office

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security's, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) Ombudsman announced a significant decline in the number of pending FBI name checks for individuals seeking immigration benefits in the United States.

FBI name checks, one of several security screening tools used by the USCIS, have delayed the adjudication of benefits for many thousands of applicants.

"The significant reduction in long-pending FBI name checks will result in improved service for USCIS customers," USCIS Ombudsman Michael Dougherty said. "Congress provided the necessary funding for USCIS and the FBI to complete a larger percentage of FBI name checks in a timely manner. We appreciate the resolve of USCIS and the FBI in realizing this customer service achievement; both lack of funding and delays had been a significant concern of my office. We are happy to see significant progress is being made."

The USCIS Ombudsman had identified FBI name check delays as one of the major hurdles to improved customer service at USCIS in his 2008 and 2007 Annual Reports to Congress.

There were 269,943 name checks pending on May 6, 2008. There are 95,449 pending as of August 12, 2008.
There were 185,162 name checks pending for more than six months on May 6, 2008. There are 61,817 pending more than six months as of August 12, 2008.
USCIS met its April 2, 2008 goal to process all name checks pending more than two years by July 2008. "USCIS and FBI Release Joint Plan to Eliminate Backlog of FBI Name Checks; Partnership Establishes Series of Milestones To Complete Checks."
The USCIS Ombudsman's Annual Reports discussing FBI name checks can be found at Section II, A, pp. 5-7(2008); and Section III, F, pp. 37-45 (2007).

The Ombudsman also noted that USCIS has updated its projected naturalization processing times in an August 11, 2008 announcement.

USCIS now anticipates naturalization application processing will average 10-12 months nationally by the end of September 2008. Previously USCIS estimated that processing naturalization applications would take 16-18 months before reducing the estimate to 14-16 months and later to 13-15 months.

Average processing times significantly increased after the surge in immigration filings in the summer of 2007. From June 2007 to August 2007, USCIS received nearly 3 million applications, compared to 1.8 filings during the same period in the previous year. In FY 2007, USCIS received 1.4 million naturalization applications, nearly double the annual volume.

The USCIS Ombudsman's 2008 annual report comparing naturalization application processing times can be found at Section II, A, pp. 14-15.

The USCIS Ombudsman is an independent office of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) that reports directly to the DHS Deputy Secretary. As mandated by the Homeland Security Act of 2002 § 452, theUS CIS Ombudsman: (1) assists individuals and employers in resolving problems with USCIS; (2) identifies areas in which individuals and employers have problems in dealing with USCIS; and (3) proposes changes to mitigate identified problems. For more information about the Office of the USCIS Ombudsman please visit www.dhs.gov/cisombudsman.

###

Even a skeptic like myself admits that the USCIS has done a very good job lately in processing N-400 applications. FBI has also provided the necessary support for this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with TheRealist. I know it is no consolation to people who had to wait and suffer for long time, but it is good that they are eliminating the backlogs. Thanks anijhawan for posting this.

and yet, there are users on this board who filed in '05 and who haven't heard anything. Someone is not telling the truth. Actually, probably the NC cleared but they hadn't notified CIS or they did and the results are languishing at CIS. One thing that they said they are doing is sending more raw data to CIS to make the FBI look better. This puts the ball in the CIS court but then the question is what does CIS do with it. And where does it languish at the service center, local (that's probably the best) or somewhere else.

and yet, there are users on this board who filed in '05 and who haven't heard anything. Someone is not telling the truth. Actually, probably the NC cleared but they hadn't notified CIS or they did and the results are languishing at CIS. One thing that they said they are doing is sending more raw data to CIS to make the FBI look better. This puts the ball in the CIS court but then the question is what does CIS do with it. And where does it languish at the service center, local (that's probably the best) or somewhere else.
My guess is it is languishing at the SC, for whatever reason. Many have reported that they have been in interview queue at TSC for so long. In contrast if you looked at the NSC it is flying....

For what it is worth, the number of days mentioned on the NOA has also reduced from 730 to 240 for some latest N400 filers. But still there seems to be no logic to the way some CIS are working fast while others just take time. Still hoping for the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now the bottle neck is the FBI name check.

If you don't have a name check issue 9i.e. your name check is cleared within 72 hours of submission), you are likely to receive the IL within one month of fingerprint date, according to my observation.

If your case is now pending for more than six month assuming you filed in 2008, you are very likely stuck in the name check. Call USCIS or schedule INFOPASS to find out.

Right now the bottle neck is the FBI name check.

If you don't have a name check issue 9i.e. your name check is cleared within 72 hours of submission), you are likely to receive the IL within one month of fingerprint date, according to my observation.

If your case is now pending for more than six month assuming you filed in 2008, you are very likely stuck in the name check. Call USCIS or schedule INFOPASS to find out.

Hi Compaqdb,
Do you have the source for the 72 hours timing (name check clearance)? I understand that we can call to check whether fp cleared against the criminal database, but how can applicant confirm name check clearance?

Thanks

when will mine be cleared?;)

Hi Guys,

My PD is 04/07 and FP-05/07.

I guess my case is 95,448th:) in the remaining ones.

In any case, I saw many posters with their name checks getting cleared or receiving interview letters. However I also see some who are still waiting for more than 2 years. So I would take the claim with a pinch of salt.

Their next deadline is Nov 2008 where I expect to get at least 2nd FP.
Lets see.

All the best to all waiting

The 72 hours is an estimate if there is no hit. But you never know - at GC stage (after they expanded the name check) some people waited a month and then at natz they waited 6 months or a year - go figure.

I think FBI and USCIS are doing what they promised

N400 Mail Date : 12/11/2006
N400 Priority Date : 12/13/2006
FP Notice Date : 12/22/2006
FP Date : 01/02/2007
... Loooong Wait Stuck in Name Check .....
IL Date : 09/02/2008
Interview : 10/01/2008 (Result ???)
Oath : ???

I did not try to push the process by going to any congressman or other people reps.

Guys,
Silly question - but I read certain posts, where applicants had their online case status disappear. I understand that this means that their interview letters are coming. Does this happen to all applicants or just a few? I'm just curious to know.

Thanks

Not really. for some that's true but I don't think we have enough data to know for sure. The system they have put up is severely flawed. If the computer system gave you the data you really wanted, e.g., FP submitted on date x, interview on date y, etc. then they could get rid of half of the customer service people and not waste their time. as it is they have a virtually useless system except, I think, after you've been approved, someone updates that.