Arrested for DUI in US, immigrating to Canada

nerdjock

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

A friend of mine was arrested for a DUI late last year in California. It was his first offence.
He was on a J-1 visa at the time in the US, and his court appearance was scheduled for after his visa expired, and he had to leave the country. He thus paid his lawyer to appear in court for him.

The lawyer told him that he would get a fine and that it would be kept on record for 3 years. The lawyer said that after 3 years he could return to the US if he wished.

I am trying to help him as I am somewhat more knowledgable on immigration issues (mostly US though). My question is, if he was NOT actually convicted and merely arrested, would he still be inadmissable to Canada?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mike

As long as the lawyer appeared in court, he must have pleaded guilty and thus agreed on paying the fine. So yes he was convicted, else he would not have to pay a fine.
Conviction equals penalty, and that could be cash, time in prison or community service.
But in all, he could still apply and come back to the Usafter 3 years or less with a waiver. he should talk to his lawyer on that again.