Are there any problems traveling to India on AP?

DesiHero

Registered Users (C)
I have my:
- AP documents
- EAD Cards
- A valid H1-B petition

But currently I don't have any valid visa stamp on my passport. I have to visit India for a week sometime next month. What I wanted to know was if there would be any problems at the port of entry in US or in India?

In India you never know what the Immigration officer will ask or try to create a problem is not made happy by some means etc. I don't know, I am just speaking the possible facts.

Last week I checked and the message on the AVM said I have 975-999 days more to live! Today I checked again and it said I have 160-180 days to live! Has anyone with this series got an approval notice yet?

Thanks.

Watch

Don't come without watching BABA, if you cannot follow the language hire a translator :).

Go have fun dude, enjoy your trip

DesiHero - NO problem

I used AP twice in 2 months without valid Visa stamp ( Visa not required when you have AP ).

No problems at Delhi Airport or US .

AP : Advance Parole means that you have an adjudication case pending with INS and in order for you to fill your travelling needs this AP is granted. For some people it can also be denied -- I know of one person.

So basically it is a travel document that is/could be used in lieu of a valid Visa or Stamp to enter the United States.
However there is a limitation to the usage of AP. One cannot be gone forever. There is a limit to less than 6 months. Otherwise the INS believes that you have abondoned the application.

PS: I am not a lawyer. My understanding of AP.

if you were in status in the USA all the time, you are ok. AP doesnt guarantee a re-entry permission (what does? <sigh>). By some offchance if you were out of status sometime, make sure you remain on H1 by getting a renewal stamp. I got it twice and so far no problems (both before 9-11 though). Remember that your status will change to aos-applicant once you use AP and u work from thereon on ur EAD.

good luck and have fun in India...

In/Out status?

Well, I just want to understand the in-out status funda. Correct me if I am wrong. In status means that you have a valid H1-B visa stamped on your passport or if not then you atleast have a valid H1-B petition with you. Whereas out status would mean that you neither have a valid H1-B visa stamped on your passport nor you have a valid H1-B petition, right?

Using your AP doesn't change your status and You don't work on EAD. That is not true.

I have confirmed this with my lawyer. So I am pretty sure that is the case.

valid status means that you have a valid visa whether stamped or not on your passport and you have the approval notice
767 form with you that confirms that you are on a valid visa. But if you are entering the states on AP than no one will ask about that - at least I wasn't asked. I changed jobs. I had the old companys visa stamp but a I-767 from the new company and I entered on AP.
Looked at the AP and I was in.

Re: In/Out status?

Originally posted by DesiHero
Well, I just want to understand the in-out status funda. Correct me if I am wrong. In status means that you have a valid H1-B visa stamped on your passport or if not then you atleast have a valid H1-B petition with you. Whereas out status would mean that you neither have a valid H1-B visa stamped on your passport nor you have a valid H1-B petition, right?

I believe, in status means that you have a valid H-1B petition and all through your stay in US on H1, you were in status. What I mean is, if during your entire stay as a H1/L1, if at any time your petition expired (and did not get renewed within 3 months, I guess) then I believe, they can consider you as out of status.

Again, this is my understanding/impression. Hope someone more knowledgeable can contribute better.

oh yes...

And about H1 stamping in the passport,

As long as you are within US with a valid H1 petition, then even if the stamping is out of whack you are OK. But the moment you step out of the country, then you have to have a valid stamping in the passport to enter.

But in you case, as already suggested by others, you can safely use AP.

Status funda

Being in status means 2 things (this pertains to H1 only):

1. Valid H1 approved petition
2. Maintaining a job

It doesn't matter if you have valid/invalid visa stamp in your passport. Status and Visa are 2 different things - you very well may have a visa stamp till eternity but the day your petition expires or the day you lose your job, *legally* you are out of status. It's another story that INS doesn't come to know about this right away because most companies don't go through the paperwork of informing the INS.

Regarding AP -- it's okay to use AP (even if you have expired visa stamp) but remember after that point you no longer will be on H1-status. You will have to work using your EAD. If you don't have EAD, don't use AP.

This is all from my lawyer.. whom I believe most of the times :)

_this

disagree about the part if you use AP then you have to use EAD.
That is incorrect. As I have done it.

gc_arzoo

It might be worth it to check it with someone else. Using AP means that you are entering in immigrant status. I know for a fact that if you use EAD, you have to use AP and I think the vice-versa is true as well.

I picked up some useful information regarding the in and out of status funda from Murthy chat. She says that in-status means that you had a valid I-94 at all times during your stay. It is not about keeping your job or leaving after 10 days or a month or so forth. If you are out of status even a day, you may not be allowed re-entry for 3 years even with an AP.

good luck all...

Neeru:
Please check out this link for complete information as well.

http://www.usvisanews.com/memo1536.html

The text is follows:
What are Wednesday Questions for if not a good forum to answer questions from visitors to our site that would also benefit on-line readers, enhance understanding in readers about deeper aspects of immigration procedures they've been (or will be involved with), and (once in a while) to spark a good intellectual cha-cha between attorneys and out frequent visitors?

Such has been the case with the issue of the use of advance parole and/or employment authorization documents during the adjustment of status phase of the permanent residency process. So HOW does it all come together?

THE FIRST DANCE:

September 19, 2001 -- The little curly-headed girl with the big ears approaches the dance floor... Oh wait, wrong scenario! Ahem! Again...

THE FIRST DANCE:

September 19, 2001 -- We posted the following question and answer on the Wednesday Questions section of our website:

QUESTION: I am a regular visitor of your web site. I hold an H1B visa and I also have filed my I-485 adjustment to permanent resident status. I have to travel out of the country next week but because of the tragedy last week, I am afraid of being denied my H-1B visa application at the US consulate overseas. I do have an advance parole re-entry permit, but I heard that if I use it, I would lose my H-1B status and it might also affect my green card application adversely. Is that true? If it is how would it affect my green card application?

ANSWER: First, out strong suggestion to you and all persons in the U.S. who are not yet lawful permanent residents is that you not travel abroad right now unless you absolutely have to. To answer your general questions, H-1B status would be lost by using your advance parole re-entry permit. However, due to the recent events and the potential for tighter restrictions to be placed on entry (and re-entry) to the U.S., there is also no guarantee that you will be re-admitted immediately, regardless of whether you base your request for re-entry on your H-1B or on your advance parole. Moreover, if you are required to stay abroad for a lengthy time due to any restrictions imposed (and, for example, your advance parole expires) this may affect your eligibility to adjust status in the U.S.

A clever reader (who may be a good dancer, though we really don't know) then e-mails us, informing us of the fact that he/she had heard that use of advance parole does not extinguish the validity of an H-1B approval.

Thus, we take this reader by the hand, lead them in a trotting circle around the floor, quickly apologizing for stepping on their toes, and so we print the following retraction:

[09/28/01] A faithful U.S. Visa News reader discovered an error in the 09/19/01 Wednesday Questions question 1. As this reader realized, H-1B status is NOT lost by using an advance parole re-entry permit. It would, however, be lost by use of an employment authorization document. We apologize for the error! Thank you for your faithfulness!

We also made the relevant correction to the Wednesday Question itself, by inserting "not," and then the song ended and we danced off to meet our next partner. What we SHOULD have done was remained on the subject a little longer to explain the details and case scenarios and end further questions, such as those that followed this week when a reader asked us to explain how the preceding could be correct in light of the following question and answer from last week's Wednesday Questions (11/14/01):

QUESTION: From reading your Wednesday Questions I learned that for an H-1B holder, using an EAD card to work while their green card is at the I-485 adjustment stage loses the benefit that they would otherwise enjoy of not having to obtain advance parole to travel while holding H-1B status?

ANSWER: We have been getting lots of questions concerning this issue in the past few weeks. It seems to be confusing an awful lot of people. We will try to set the record straight.

First of all, if an individual has valid H-1B status and a valid EAD card, that individual automatically loses their H-1B status if they use their EAD card to work for another employer. In that situation, the person MUST obtain advanced parole in order to travel abroad while their adjustment is pending. If the person has the EAD card but it is not used to work for a third employer:

- the person keeps working for the H-1B sponsor on the H-1B visa

- the person continues to be in H-1B status and they may use their valid visa stamp to travel.

If a person has a valid H-1B, a valid EAD card, and a valid advanced parole travel document but they do not use their EAD card to work for a second company, their status upon re-entry depends on which document they present when they arrive back to the United States. If they present the advanced parole and the officer stamps the I-94 card as an "adjustee" or "parolee," then they are no longer in H-1B status. If the person presents the H-1B visa stamp and the officer stamps the I-94 card with the H-1B designation, they will remain in H-1B status. Of course, as stated above, if they later use that EAD card to work for a different employer, they lose the H-1B status."

SO, FINALLY, AND LONG OVERDUE, MAY WE HAVE THIS DANCE?

We probably described it best so far in our November 14th posting, but we will build on it now.

First, an H-1 (or L-1) non-immigrant who uses their employment authorization document has extinguished their H-1B status. They now hold "adjustee" status and can't use the previous H-1B approval to re-enter after travel abroad, to file for an extension, nor for any other purpose.

However, in relation to advance parole, the H-1B is more like a good pair of cha-cha shoes that you can take on and off.

Suppose an H-1B holder leaves the U.S. in H-1B status and returns in H-1B status during their adjustment. As you probably are well aware, this person does not need advance parole and re-enters in the same shape they left -- cha-cha shoes on the whole time.

But now suppose the H-1B holder leaves the U.S. during their authorized stay in H-1B status but with both their documentation of their H-1B approval AND advance parole travel document in hand. What status do THEY re-enter in? It depends on which items they provide at the port of entry. IF they evidence their H-1B status to the official, then the cha-cha shoes stay on and they re-enter in H-1B status. In contrast, if it is the travel document that they put forth, then they re-enter in "adjustee" status and will not hold H-1B status in the U.S. (They have taken the shoes off!)

The next logical question is "WHAT HAPPENED TO THE SHOES?!?!" Where are they? Are they lost forever? Is an official at the port of entry wearing a new pair of shoes and trotting around doing the cha-cha?

The answer, and point of confusion based on out much earlier short statement that the status was not "lost" is that the shoes are NOT gone forever. HOWEVER, they ARE in an imaginary locker at the port of entry.

The person who enters as an adjustee DOES NOT hold H-1B status. They will now need advance parole to travel and their employment must be based on a valid employment authorization document because the H-1B status is no longer active. HOWEVER, if there is still time remaining on their valid H-1B approval, they can return to the port of entry during the validity and reclaim their H-1B cha-cha shoes by making a proper entry in H-1B status.

Hopefully this clarifies the choreography. And off we go...step, twist, move to the next shoe-print emblem on the dance floor...

Thanks for the information.

So it is still true that you have to use EAD (or atleast cant use H1) if you enter on AP. If you are intent on working on H1 after entering using AP, then you should leave and renter on the H1 Visa.

No wonder we need lawyers for immigration.

Good luck in your arzoo...