Are INS related medical expenses reimbursable by the insurance company?

veena

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,
Our totals are $780. If not considered by insurance company, I am just wondering whether we can atleast get a tax deduction. What did u guys do? Thanks.
BTW, my company wouldn\'t reimburse like some do. And this is our second medicals. First set had expired after one year.

No Title

Did your Insurance company cover you for the INS Fee too ? My Insurance company refused to re-imburse the INS Fee ($90-120, depending upon doctor) but agreed to pay for any immunizations shots I had to take. Can you explain how you convinced them to pay the INS Doctor\'s fee ? Or did you find a doctor that was in your plan and also was under INS list. Please explain ?

Thanks,

--Bon_bon

No Title

I just sent them everything including the Doctors fee and they reimbursed every penny. You might consider sending your bills to Rubi who considers $780 pennies and who would probably not mind sending you the money! :)

No Title

hello,

These are the following ways you can get (among others that I don\'t know which may exist) re-imbursed for or use it for tax deductible purposes

0. Check with employer to pick up the tab if the employer is paying for all immigration expenses.
1. Imuunization shots are covered (even out of network) by certain plans offered by certain insurance companies. (Check your plan)
2. If immunization doctor is participating in your insurance plan, then they you just pay the copay for the immunization shots and the regular immigration check up (again check your plan)
3. If you have none of the above, but you contribute to health care FSA plan from your company, then this amount you spend on immigration medicals can be charged to that account and this give you a tax break on this amount.
4. If you want to itemize then if the medical expense if more than 2% of Adjusted Gross Income then you can claim the amount more than that as tax writeoff. If you talk to an accountant then mention that it is a medical deduction.

if you have none, then you eat the cost.

Hope this helps.
BK

No Title

Thank you all for your opinions and suggestions.

I think Rubi is upset for not getting her plastic card. I think she even made a negative remark for a post asking for a cheaper option for INS photos.

No Title

Give me more money. Let us change
that and contribute something to the
society.

No Title

My insurance company first rejected my claim for Immigration Medical Expenses. But I got a letter from attorney, saying that this is required for foreign aliens and it is as per INS regulations/law. My insurance company after seeing the letter reimbursed the entire amount.

No Title

I appreciate your responses. I don\'t see any reason for us to eat the cost of it if insurance pays atlest a portion of it.

If Rubi is getting paid 7 figure salary what\'s the big hurry for the green card for her?

No Title

Probably 7 figure salary is peanuts for Rubi... she/he must be in competition with Bill Gates.

No Title

s regupathy who is your insurance company? I will try mine getting reimbursement from my insurance company CIGNA ( Southern California)

No Title

Hi
I have send the medical bills to my insurance company as my company does not pay the medical expenses.
But My insurance co(AH@L) Rejected the bills saying that the doctor is not covered and the amout comes with in the deductable amout ($500/per year deductable if I go to any doctor other than mentioned in the plan).

Any ideas/suggestions

Kiran