• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Are citizens eligable for lottery

kasiar

Registered Users (C)
My cousin lives in Singapore ,got the citizenship recently. Can she apply For Divesity lottery? She was not born in Singapore.Is she eligiable to apply since citizen not by birth?

My cousin lives in Singapore ,got the citizenship recently. Can she apply For Divesity lottery? She was not born in Singapore.Is she eligiable to apply since citizen not by birth?

I am assuming that your cousin was born in a country that is not eligible for the lottery. If so then the answer is no. She will not be ligible for the lottery through Singapore even though she has now become a singaporean citizen.But,
But, if she is married to somebody born in Singapore or some other country eligible for the lottery then she can apply through the country of her husband. [This is in addition to the application her husband is allowed]

On the other hand if her country of birth is eligible for the lottery then she is eligible through her country of birth, even though she may not be a citizen of it any more.

There are some other very marginal cases where a person can claim eligibility through a country where he/she was not born. For those, just refer the new DV2009 instructions when they come out.

I am assuming that your cousin was born in a country that is not eligible for the lottery. If so then the answer is no. She will not be ligible for the lottery through Singapore even though she has now become a singaporean citizen.But,
But, if she is married to somebody born in Singapore or some other country eligible for the lottery then she can apply through the country of her husband. [This is in addition to the application her husband is allowed]

On the other hand if her country of birth is eligible for the lottery then she is eligible through her country of birth, even though she may not be a citizen of it any more.

There are some other very marginal cases where a person can claim eligibility through a country where he/she was not born. For those, just refer the new DV2009 instructions when they come out.

Thank you so much for your reply. They both born in India.Her daughter was born in Singapore but she is only 10 yrs old