AR 11 Question

cantstopme

Registered Users (C)
Hello Gurus

I have a question regarding when I should file my AR-11. I am planning to go for a holiday shortly for several months to India. Approx 2-3 months. At this time I am giving up my apartment and redirecting all my mail to a friends address. Since my friend has bought a new house all my normal mail will go there.

Now question about the AR11's are

1) Should I file an AR 11 before or after I come back from India. Of course I can only file an AR11 "before" if I plan to use his address as my new address. I wont have any address till i return and rent a new apartment.

2) Is it allowed to file the AR11 using his address even though I am not living there ? - Please note i live in CA and he lives in CO. I am working on my EAD, if that matters and I plan to move back to CO after I come back from India and since I may have to move around, i don't wanna go on filing an AR11.

Any help from you gurus is appreciated !

Thanks!

cantstopme said:
No takers :-/ - hellllllllllllllllp

cheers ;-)
AR-11 is required if you are in US. If you leave US there is no requrement for AR-11.
This AR-11 is not so serious issue to give that much thought. It is not going to affect any of your pending cases including green card. There will not be any problems if You send your friend's address on AR-11

Last edited by a moderator:
If it is understand correctly u will be out of town for several possible months and u are also leaving current apt/home, when u come back u would be looking to rent again, if this is correct than

Best thing is to file AR-11 so USCIS should have communication addr with u, and u will never lost any letter.

Take a look on Form AR-11 on third line, where it says

'IF ABOVE ADDRESS IS TEMPORARY HOW LONG YOU WILL STAY" __YRS __MONTH

so u can use ur friend address as temporary make 6 months avg when u come back get apt/house on rent than again file AR-11 to update. :D .
don't forget to call 800 and update ur addr them too. Also send a letter to service center (optional if u care) to update address in all pending application.

Also before u leave update ur Driving license,
Fill the form of 'Change of Address' at USPS so they would redirect ur mails.

You should use Physical address from those who do required phy addr,

and get one P.O. Box for ur other billing address. like Bank/credit cards etc .
they do allow mailing address.

Good Luck

PrinceofJungle said:
If it is understand correctly u will be out of town for several possible months and u are also leaving current apt/home, when u come back u would be looking to rent again, if this is correct than

Best thing is to file AR-11 so USCIS should have communication addr with u, and u will never lost any letter.

Take a look on Form AR-11 on third line, where it says

'IF ABOVE ADDRESS IS TEMPORARY HOW LONG YOU WILL STAY" __YRS __MONTH

so u can use ur friend address as temporary make 6 months avg when u come back get apt/house on rent than again file AR-11 to update. :D .
don't forget to call 800 and update ur addr them too. Also send a letter to service center (optional if u care) to update address in all pending application.

AR-11 is basically the requirement of INA 262 law and it applies only when the alien in physically present in DHS jurisdiction. If alien is outside USA, there is no requirement of filing AR-11. AR-11 is never meant for an address for the purpose of "communication" or correspondence. It must be always physical residence address where alien currently lives (in USA). Therefore proving PO Box is NOT an option (unless someone lives inside PO Box :) ). Due to this reason, providing friend's address is useless and probably (or can be) counter-productive (as false information).

So where does my mail go ?

Thanks Pralay & Prince of Jungle for your responses. Yes Prince of Jungle, you are right, i am giving up my apartment and when i come back i will rent again.

I was actually going to do what Prince of Jungle suggested. Ok, now I leave my apartment, they dont accept PO Boxes so what address should i give then ?:) - I would not have any physical address in the united states ?

I don't get much "important" mail other than junk mail, so this charade is mostly for USCIS purposes. Most of my bills /statements are online so I don't even get paper copies of any documents.

I basically don't see the point of paying $3000.00 in rent ( Yes, 1000 a month :mad: ) -Shipping my stuff & car to my friends place works out better and much cheaper, but of course if its uscis illegal / not allowed i wont risk it to save some money.

I also planned to continue using his address even AFTER i take up my own place when I come back. I can move at anytime, my job's like that, so I don't have to update my address in 1000 places all over again each time is why i thought of this.

Oh and by the way, my lawyer too said it was ok, but not the best thing

Any ideas / suggestions ?

pralay said:
AR-11 is basically the requirement of INA 262 law and it applies only when the alien in physically present in DHS jurisdiction. If alien is outside USA, there is no requirement of filing AR-11. AR-11 is never meant for an address for the purpose of "communication" or correspondence. It must be always physical residence address where alien currently lives (in USA). Therefore proving PO Box is NOT an option (unless someone lives inside PO Box :) ). Due to this reason, providing friend's address is useless and probably (or can be) counter-productive (as false information).

cantstopme said:
I was actually going to do what Prince of Jungle suggested. Ok, now I leave my apartment, they dont accept PO Boxes so what address should i give then ?:) - I would not have any physical address in the united states ?

I don't get much "important" mail other than junk mail, so this charade is mostly for USCIS purposes. Most of my bills /statements are online so I don't even get paper copies of any documents.

AR-11 is not an USCIS form, but DHS form. USCIS will never try to communicate or send you mails using AR-11 information. USCIS will send you mails/notices to very address that you provide on your application forms. For example, if you apply for EAD card, your receipt notice, EAD card is going to come to very address you put on the EAD application form. Due to this reason, for any application (e.g. EAD, I-485) there is nothing wrong to provide address which is not your residential address (friend's address, workplace address), so that you can receive letters from USCIS. USCIS sends notice/mails in application basis. They are not going to send generic mails without reason at your AR-11 address - for example, 0% APR credit card offer letters :).
Now, if you want to change address for pending applications, you need to contact the service center(s) where you applications are pending. AR-11 is not going to help you to change your application's address.

AR-11 became useful for DHS/USCIS/ICE only when they want to do some investigation or sometime similar serious. In that kind of scenario, they are not going to send mails anyway. ICE will come and knock on your door directly. That's why AR-11 must be always residential address, not a PO Box.

very informative

Hello Pralay

Very informative, thanks !!!!!!!! - So does calling the National Customer Service change the address on the existing applications or do I need to do something else. When I moved the last time i submitted an AR11 and I also called the National Customer Service Center. Please do let me know if I have to do anything else. Thanks for your informative post once again !

pralay said:
AR-11 is not an USCIS form, but DHS form. USCIS will never try to communicate or send you mails using AR-11 information. USCIS will send you mails/notices to very address that you provide on your application forms. For example, if you apply for EAD card, your receipt notice, EAD card is going to come to very address you put on the EAD application form. Due to this reason, for any application (e.g. EAD, I-485) there is nothing wrong to provide address which is not your residential address (friend's address, workplace address), so that you can receive letters from USCIS. USCIS sends notice/mails in application basis. They are not going to send generic mails without reason at your AR-11 address - for example, 0% APR credit card offer letters :).
Now, if you want to change address for pending applications, you need to contact the service center(s) where you applications are pending. AR-11 is not going to help you to change your application's address.

AR-11 became useful for DHS/USCIS/ICE only when they want to do some investigation or sometime similar serious. In that kind of scenario, they are not going to send mails anyway. ICE will come and knock on your door directly. That's why AR-11 must be always residential address, not a PO Box.

1) Should I file an AR 11 before or after I come back from India. Of course I can only file an AR11 "before" if I plan to use his address as my new address. I wont have any address till i return and rent a new apartment.

-- I would file AR11 and inform USCIS by phone for my new temp address for any USCIS correspondence letters.

2) Is it allowed to file the AR11 using his address even though I am not living there ? - Please note i live in CA and he lives in CO. I am working on my EAD, if that matters and I plan to move back to CO after I come back from India and since I may have to move around, i don't wanna go on filing an AR11.

-- Yes, it is allowed. I have seen some of my friends doing this.

Good luck..