EB2, India
PD 8/98
RD 4/00
ND 4/00
FP1 10/00
RFE 11/01
FP2 2/02
AD 4/11/02

As you can see, it took almost two full years for my 485 approval. But the story is a little more twisted.

In May, 2001, I married an American citizen. But since I was more than a year into my 485 filing, we decided to stick it out and not apply through my wife. My wife lived in Pennsylvania, while I lived in Boston area. We had decided that I will move to Pennsylvania once I get my greencard, since I was looking for a change. In addition, my wife was stuck with a 5-year research grant that did not make it easy for her to move. For the past 6 months, we called AVM every day only to have our hopes dashed. There were nights when my wife cried and all I could do was to console her over the phone. We met every other weekend, quite frequently driving 6 hours each way. There was even an occasion when my wife was so distraught that I got on the road on 5 minutes notice to take a 6 hour trip to be with her. Life was getting really hard.

Finally one day, when my wife was visiting me, we went out for dinner with my former boss and his wife. His wife was upset to hear what was going on in our lives. She contacted the senator\'s office the next day and set up an appointment for me. I provided all the details and the senator\'s office contacted INS. INS promised a resolution within two weeks. My wife and I were ecstatic and started making plans. 3 weeks went by and there was no news. I contacted the senator\'s office again. This time my wife wrote a detailed, emotional e-mail describing our hardship and pleading her help. The senator\'s office contacted INS again, only to be told that they need two more weeks. For all these two years, INS had never mentioned any problem with my case. The RFE was for an updated employment letter, which I provided within two weeks. INS gave a new deadline of April 10th. Nothing happened on April 10th. Even the senator\'s office could not get any info. Finally on the morning of April 11th, I left a defeated message on the voicemail of my contact at the senator\'s office. I just asked her to get some information on what\'s wrong with my case, because applications filed 15 months after me were getting approved. Later that afternoon, I get a call from her with the most wonderful news. She said it was approved. I called my wife and then went out into the street and did a short dance to celebrate the news. Yeeeeeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaa! My eyes got misty when I realized I can finally shed these rusty chains and be with my wife as a married couple. I know that most of you understand what I went through. I hope all of you have an easier time than I did.

AVM still says my case is pending. But I\'m hoping it will get updated soon and it was not a communication mistake. Now I need to wait for the notice and the card. Any clues on how long before the AVM is updated; notice is mailed; and the plastic card is mailed?

Good luck and try to keep your chin up.

Congratulations!!

I hope it really means a lot to you than all of us! I understand that it is a lot for us too but when it comes to your case I am really happy that you got it. So now you can be with your wife and there is no need for you to spend most of your time apart and also in driving.
Once again Congratulations!

Forgot to add in my earlier posting...

Normally approval and AVM update takes place on same day, since your case is different it
might take couple of days. But I know one of my cousin, he got his approval notice and even
after 1 week his AVM did not change, afterwards he did not bother to check.

I got my approval notice within 8 days, so very soon you should be getting it.

Regards....

Thank you all for your wishes.

This board is a \'god-send\' and I hope it lives as long as there are immigration red-tape agonies.

Good luck to all. I\'ll try to visit the board once in a while.