Approved O-1 Visa as former J-1 Fulbrighter- be happy to sahre my experience

academics

Hi everybody:

I would be happy to share my experience if anybody is interested in it.

Been in US for 10 years under J-1, originally Fulbright from Europe, graduated 2008, worked for current employer for 2.5 years (who sponsored my O-1), was just approved for an O-1.

Best,

Academics

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello again Academics,

I was wondering if you might be able to specify what was included in your application as far as supporting evidence? Obviously publications, CV, etc, but I'm wondering how many letters of support you included and if each came from people within your field?

Thank you!
Beli

i HAVE APPLIED FOR O1 AND WILL RECEICVE IN THE NEXT DAYS A RFE.
Bit nervous...

Hi everybody:

Been in US for 10 years under J-1, originally Fulbright from Europe, graduated 2008, worked for current employer for 2.5 years (who sponsored my O-1), was just approved for an O-1.

Best,

Academics

Fulbright J-1 to O-1?

i HAVE APPLIED FOR O1 AND WILL RECEICVE IN THE NEXT DAYS A RFE.
Bit nervous...

ULTRAMARINE007, were you approved? If so, can you explain the process from J1-O1? I am a Fulbright musician who has just completed my Masters on J-1 and I want to apply for the O-1 visa. Is this possible? If I am approved, will I have trouble returning to the USA if I leave the country to visit my home country whilst on the O-1 visa? Did you use a lawyer for your submission? was your employer university or academic institution? How long did the process take?

Thanks for taking the time, I heard that many of the rules and regulations surrounding J-1 and Fulbright scholars have become much tighter in the last few years and I am trying to take care of my situation in ample time.

renewal process for O1

Hi everybody:

Best,

Academics

How many times have you so far renewed your O?
I got my O1 for 2 years and now I have to renew.

Did you use the same reference letter writers with somewhat similar text plus some comments about the time since the last full review?

I had 5 letters

My application was done by international office of my institution in 2011.
But I had to get 5 letters of recommendations. Then all publications, any awards (evidence of that). I am about to file for a renewal.
The initial O1 was for 2 years and subsequent renewals are only for 1 year at a time.

Hello again Academics,

I was wondering if you might be able to specify what was included in your application as far as supporting evidence? Obviously publications, CV, etc, but I'm wondering how many letters of support you included and if each came from people within your field?

Thank you!
Beli

renewing O1

I got my initial O1 for 2 years (possible maximum is 3 - so I was not happy about that) (in 2011)

I renewed once (2013) and now will have to renew again to get my 4th year.

US embassy consul in my home country (one EU country) made "mistake" for my wife's O3 visa in 2011 and her initial visa was for 5 years. That saved me last year some fees and hassle. I relied on their mistake and it worked (she got into US after a trip home)