Approved in Newark today!!!!!!

loustew

After all the build up it was our interview in Newark today. Let me tell you, what an experience. I am now, as of today, a permanent resident of the usa. :)
This is my experience................

We were scheduled for 1pm and we arrived at the office at around 12:45pm. There was hardly anyone downstairs at the security check and we went straight up to the thirteenth floor (how ominous lol). When we stepped out the elevator there were two security people sitting at the entrance to the check in windows. They told us since we had a 1pm appointment, to wait by the elevators. We waited and more and more people joined us until it was 12.30 when they let us go in.
After handing in our appointment paper at the window we sat down in the large waiting room. It was filled with people and we knew we were in for a long wait. They had a couple of tv's on but I couldnt even focus on anything, I felt so nauseous. As they called peoples names over the loudspeaker, they would say "John Smith to the door". My husband and I joked about it being the door of no return. It was so scary sounding, being summoned to "THE DOOR". :confused:
About an hour and a half later I hear my name being called, but not to the door, to one of the windows. Thinking this might be very good or very bad news I approached the window with trepidation. In fact it was neither good nor bad, it was our officer telling us he was going on lunch but he would look over our file after that and be ready around 2.30, so if we wanted to go get some food we could. He was a really nice man in his late twenties I think. As my husband and I made our way to the elevator to go to the second floor cafeteria, we noted how nice the officer had seemed and how considerate it was for him to keep us updated. My husband was convinced we had nothing to worry about in terms of being grilled or mistreated (I had read so many horror stories and was dreading getting a mean officer). I continued to be nervous though. :(
Neither of us ate in the cafeteria, but it was nice to get out of the waiting room for a while. We then went back upstairs and waited to be called. At three we were finally called to "the door" and I wanted to throw up.
The nice officer lead us through a short hallway to an open plan cubicle area, where some other interviews were happening. We went into his cubicle and he asked us to remain standing and administered the oath. "Do you both swear to tell the truth. Yes or no?" We said yes and he asked us to sit.
At first he was looking through our file for a second then he took our id's and my old ead's and I noticed he removed my I-94 from my passport. Next he asked for proof of joint life. We gave him joint account statements, our previous lease, some joint bills and housing court papers we had.
He then went on to say he was going to ask me some questions and that my husband was to remain silent throughout. He was very nice about it all though. I felt more at ease with him. He asked me questions about my husband including his age, dob, parents names, job, and if we planned on having childrend. Then he asked my husband the same questions about me. He also asked about where we lived before and how we met. He seemed amused by the story of how we met and we had a short exchange about my husbands different jobs over the past few years.
I was nervous as hell, shaking a little as I got the evidence out of our well prepared binder. We had nothing to hide, but the high importance of the situation was messing with my adrenaline. My husband of course was cool as a cucumber.
Finally the officer opened my passport and put it aside and then gave my husband his drivers license back. At this point I knew we were approved. He put my current and my previous ead away and said "I am approving your case, so you wont be needing these any more". I grinned from ear to ear. What a relief. He pulled out that beatuiful red stamp I had heard so much about and stamped my passport. Pesimist that I am, I was sure they would have wanted more evidence or I would be stuck in name check hell. Not the case. After he told us we were approved I tried to concentrate on what he was saying, but it was hard because I was so happy. He told us about the removal of conditional status, explained that the stamp was good for work authorization and travel, and let me know that after three years I could apply for citizenship. Then he showed us to the exit and wished us well.

As soon as we were out the door I hugged and kissed my husband. :D We were both so happy. He has known it would be ok all along, but I had been preparing myself for the worse. It's amazing how anti-climactic it got after that though. That's it? Thats what I waited a year for? But every time I think about how I am now a permanent resident and can travel with my husband to see my parents (who I havent seen in three years), I cant help but get tears in my eyes.

I hope this has been helpful. I tried to be as descriptive as possible, because I know the posts on this forum helped me prepare tremendously for the interview. Thanks so much to Ari4u for keeping the timeslines together and to everyone who has shared their immigration story.

My advice for anyone who is awaiting their interview and dont know what to expect - prepare as much as possible. Prepare like you were going to be interviewed about every aspect of you married life because they could ask you anything. Take every piece of evidence you can because they could ask for anything. If you prepare for the worst you can only be pleasantly suprised. I know I was!!!!!

If anyone has any questions I would be happy to answer what I can about my immigration experience. My timeline is below. Peace and love everyone. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Scottish girl entered on F1 visa 2003
Got OPT employment authorization Sept 2004
Married to US Citizen Oct 2005
Sent off all forms July 14th
First NOA July 27th 2006
Bio appt. August 15th 2006
Interview appt letter arrived Sept 19th 2006
EAD arrived Oct 12th 2006
Interview at Newark DO Nov 21st 2006 - APPROVED

I am happy for you. I wish you many years of happiness and love. Thank you for sharing your story.

Congratulations

Hi,

Congratulations on your approval. Please visit Scotland as soon as possible, while you are there, tell the Celtic's fans, I wasn't impressed with what they did to Manchester United today in the Champions League :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Happy travels and wish you success in other life endeavors. ;)

Al.

One question

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Scottish girl entered on F1 visa 2003
Got OPT employment authorization Sept 2004
Married to US Citizen Oct 2005
Sent off all forms July 14th
First NOA July 27th 2006
Bio appt. August 15th 2006
Interview appt letter arrived Sept 19th 2006
EAD arrived Oct 12th 2006
Interview at Newark DO Nov 21st 2006 - APPROVED[/QUOTE]

-----------------------

Congratulations. My wife is still on F1 Visa and my citizenship hopefully will be coming in shortly. In the meantime should I apply for her H1 or can I apply for her GC from a F1 visa. Your advice would be helpful.