Approved I-140 Reopened. Please Help.

ykmadaan

I am in dilemma as USCIS has reopened my approved I-140 case after two years. I have explained my case below. I am new to this forum and would greatly appreciate if you could share your advice.

My employer filed for my I-140 in March 2004 using a substitute labor. My I-140 was approved after 4 months in July 2004. The substitute labor used for me was supposedly was used by an ex-employee who switched jobs using AC-21 portability. Two years after, USCIS has reopened my I-140 case. They had sent a RFE to my lawyer two weeks ago but he has not responded to my request to share the nature of the RFE. I am almost certain that it pertains to re-using a labor which is linked to another (ongoing or approved) GC application. I do not know if the previous employee who used that LC has received his/her green card or still waiting for it.

My understanding is that if previous employee received his/her GC then my employer can not use that LC for my I-140, which means that my I-140 will be denied. :confused: Is that true? Can my attorney defend reuse of that Labor even though it may have been used by someone else to receive GC?

Will my EAD be valid if I-140 is denied? Can I continue working on my EAD until it expires even though I-140 may have been denied?

Has anyone else been in this situation? Please let me know what are possible options for me in this case. Should I consult another lawyer?

Thank You!!

Validity of EAD

Hi,

In my opinion, EAD is granted on pending I-485 adjudication. As long as your I-485 is pending with INS for adjudication, you should be fine. However, once the I-485 is denied based on the denial of I-140 then your EAD would become invalid. It would be wise to contact a good attorney right away.

Good Luck!
GJ

Thanks GrimJudge and UnitedNations! I had sensed that I am in trouble. My company did not continue my H1 after I received my EAD (to save some money
??) I am in my seventh year now and can not even switch back to H1. So, if my I-140, and thereafter I-148 is denied I will be out of status.

I have already started thinking about alternatives - India, Canada ??

Greatly appreciate your insights though.