Approved/change job before stamping!

jksongc

Registered Users (C)
Just wondering if you guys can help me out here..

Received the I-485 Approval notices, G.C Approved while in India. Passport was not stamped yet.

Now Client wants me to join them & offers a good benefit package.

Is it good to take the offer & join them (Client) now & then get the passport stamped with the new employer name rather than the sponsoring employer name? If stamped with the sponsoring employer name then People say it is good to stick with them for a minimum period of 6 months at least before I can do the switch to a new one?

Did anyone did this before, switching to a new employer after approved & before getting stamped? Are there any implications in doing such thing at naturalization?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Congrats first. Man people who get approval have problem and people who don't get approval have problem.

Thanks! & Very True Indeed!

Please respond as I have only 2 days of time left out to accept or leave the offer.

While getting stamped on the passport, do they look out for the sponsering employer.

Can you work with the employer that you will join them after say 2 months? If yes then ask your current employer to lay you off ( for some reason other than pay issues ) after 2 months and you can safely take the new job.

HTH

united nations, NKM & others- please advice

Thank you Hathwar for your sugesstion, My current employer will never lay me off because of the money he is making on me. he is back of me all the time!

Question:

I had noticed before in this forum that if Applicant changes Job using AC21 BEFORE the APPROVALl & did not notify USCIS about it & later get it approved. Then all that is required before getting the passport stamped is to tell the officer that he/she had a Job change & show them the offer letter & get the new employer name stamped on the passport & then continue working for them a minimum period of 6 months at least.

My case I’m approved, NOT STAMPED YET until now, had a new offer from a company. My question How is this different than the previous. If I get the new employer name stamped on my passport & then continue working for them for a minimum period of 6 months, would that be considered a safe bet?

OR Will this job change be treated like changing the Job after the approval, as still my passport was not stamped & I had a new offer?

Please advice..

First of all I am not sure what do you mean by " If I get the new employer name stamped on my passport". I thought, unlike your non-immigrant visa, the GC stamp and GC is not linked to any employer. So I don't know if yor question is even relevant as emplyer name is not stamped with approval notice. Someome please correct me if I am wrong.

As far as your original issue goes, I think once you are approved, your are a PR. Which means once approved you cannot use AC21, passport stamping does not make any difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Serta2002!

I was under the impression that they would link G.C with the sponsoring employer name, may be I misinterpreted. So, I was thinking to use new employer name on passport stamping instead of the sponsoring employer & then continue working for the new company for minimum period of 6 months as a safe bet.

I want to change my sponsoring employer & had a good offer in hand? Already waited this much time & just doesn’t want to do something stupid that would jeopardize my state at the time of Naturalization. What are my options?

recipe for disaster

jksongc said:

Received the I-485 Approval notices, G.C Approved while in India. Passport was not stamped yet.

Is it good to take the offer & join them (Client) now & then get the passport stamped with the new employer name rather than the sponsoring employer name? If stamped with the sponsoring employer name then People say it is good to stick with them for a minimum period of 6 months at least before I can do the switch to a new one?

Did anyone did this before, switching to a new employer after approved & before getting stamped? Are there any implications in doing such thing at naturalization?

at the time of stamping, they usually ask if you are still employed with the sponsoring employer. if you were to say "no", your approval could be revoked. that is because your employment-based (EB) GC approval was predicated on a "future" job offer from your sponsoring employer, and which, as beneficiary, you intend to accept on a "permanent" basis. if you are no longer employed by them, then the basis of approval has been taken away.

i know my above assertion will provoke a lot of questions. let me preempt two of them:

Q1: so what about AC-21? how is it that you can change a job by invoking AC-21 portability?

the answer lies in the little-known and often misunderstood fact that the "portability", as envisaged under AC-21, applies to an approved I-140, and not I-485. the event of an I-485 having remained unadjudicated for a period of 180 calendar days or more *triggers* that portability, and if you change your employer, your new employer "inherits" your I-140 and becomes its owner, and - in effect - your sponsor.

so when your GC approval comes through, your employer AT THAT MOMENT IN TIME is your sponsoring employer, and that is the employer that immigration law expects you to work for on a permanent basis. also note the important fact that when you are approved, your I-140 and I-485 are no longer valid, or, to use programming terminology, "go out of scope". also, therefore, the AC-21 portability and any other attributes of either are also no longer available. outcome: you can change an employer before your GC is approved, not afterwards. which brings us to Q2:

Q2: so am i doomed to work for my sponsoring employer for ever and ever....?

no. "permanent" does not mean "perpetual". you should have an intent to work for your sponsoring employer, and you should demonstrate such intent by working for them for a "reasonable" length of time. what is that reasonable length of time? no law or lawyer will give you a number. rule of thumb is, anything less than six months might suggest a *lack* of permanent intent. anything over a year is *probably* safe. you will be faced with this issue at the time of citizenship.

i will offer one more piece of information:

i had commented above that any attributes of both I-140 and I-485 "go out of scope" when your GC is approved; that applies to an Advance Parole as well, inasmuch as it is a benefit derived from your pending I-485. in other words, you *cannot* use it to travel to the u.s. in pratical terms, you can use it to board your flight back from india (where exit control and airline staff will have no knowledge of your GC approval), but at the port of entry at the u.s., you must declare that your 485 has been approved; whereupon, they will allow you to enter the u.s. on "deferred inspection", and you will have to present yourself to a USCIS office to get your GC stamp within a specified number of days. if you enter on AP, that entry will be deemed illegal, since you entered on an invalid document. chances are that the POE officer will know of your approval from their data retrieval system, and will process you for deferred inspection themselves, but just something to keep in mind.

hope this answers some of your questions.

my advice

jksongc said:

Your message indicates that you did not receive any RFE for employement letter. It means, you did not notify the INS before your approval which company you are working for. In such a situation, I would simply get the passport stamped first before joining the new company. It is not your fault to get approval during the switch.

Thank you Porkchop ,gcard, unitednations for your insight.
Sorry ! I was out sick & I couldn't get back sooner.

Actually I do not have the Job offer letter in hand, It was all verbal & the plan was to come back from vacation & join new employer using AC21.

Now Comapny B is still very intrested in taking me in, and If I accept, Switch will happen in next 2-3 days (all paper work & stuff), & then the offer letter will be handed out officially with that date. I may not be able to get an offer letter dated prior to my approval though it was all agreed upon verbally.

Q) Now How could one show intent of joining new employer prior to greencard approval to avoid fraud? Does any leters from the new company would help? Should the letter be dated prior to the G.C approval? Ha! I found out that my sponcering employer has an agreement with the new employer (client) as & when to release people when client is intrested in hiring them. Does this help us out in any way?

Q) What kind of letters should I be getting from my sponsering employer, to be safe. I know It's hard to get any letters from those suckers, but I will try out & see what they have to say?

Please advice.

Now one thing that is clear that I should get the passport stamped & tell them that I'm still employed with the sponcering employer, if questioned as Pork chop suggested.

Incase If I persuade in getting an offer letter dated prior to my G.C approval, from new employer, Will that make any differenence, AS I would think that the letter will show the intent of joining new company as united nations suggested. In that case can I mention the new company name at the time of passport stamping & show them the offer letter?

Sorry! for all these questions. After all getting G.C approved didn't help me much, I guess. That sucker is still in power !!!

I'm not sure though robert60446. the questionis how do we prove that the company is going in a different direction. Thanks though for your reply!

Others please comment!.

In that case what would be needed from an sponcering employer to suppoer that? A letter stating that he is releiving me from duties to join the client? Will that help?

United nations:
If I persuade in getiing an offer letter dated prior to G.C approval from the new employer? Will that be safe to switch the Job & can the new emplyoer name can be used & mentioned before stamping.

Thanks in advance.

unitednations said:
You mean - mutual decision to leave. Sure that would be fine.

Any resignation is actually "mutual decision", right? Employee agrees to leave and employer agrees to terminate employment. I don't think that matters here - because it's difficult to prove. If company is going in new direction then there has to be some impact or facts in reality - like lay-off, pay-cut, moving to new location etc. Otherwise it's it's just "quitting company".

jksongc said:
In that case what would be needed from an sponcering employer to suppoer that? A letter stating that he is releiving me from duties to join the client? Will that help?

I guess (just a guess) while consulting at client company, it gets much easier. Because it's not like resigning from Microsoft and joining Apple. In case of consutling, the beneficiary is already working at client site. Normally when consultant joins client company, the previous employer do have business interest on it too - because they get some lumpsome money for trading their employee. In this case, it's easier to prove your intention because you can always show that you "intended" to stay with your sponsorer employer, but "this" kind of business situation came up - which has nothing to do with your intention.

robert60446 said:
How about example like this: company “A” was in manufacturing business, but now they are quitting production and they want to be a real estate office (still under the same company name)… In this case are we free to go? Employer will be more then happy to let you go…(so there will be no problems here).

Hmmm, that's a big change. Life gets lots easier for that kind of change. I don't think I even have to show any intend for that circumstance. If today Oracle stops making DBMS sfotware and starts selling grocery, I could always point - "see that company who was my sponsorer, is selling grocery now. How could I work there when I got my GC as software engineer who used to write DBMS software?"

"Free to go"? You are free to go anyway - at anytime. Only reason you are hesitant because of your GC. That risk you have measure in your own.

Thanks Guys!

The Interview took place on 23rd September & I was on vacation from 24 sep.
Approved on oct 5. Came back on 24th Oct. If I can get an offer letter B/w 24th & 5 th? Will that be O.k to show the intent & be safe side?

I did not discuss all the terms, But anything my client offers now would be better than what my sponsering employer pays me me right now. I'm very much frustated.

Thanks Guys!!!

One basic question. I should have asked this question before..

Can some clarify if the G.C stamp on the Passport have an employer name on it? Do we fill the sponsering employer name in any of forms that we fill out at the time of G.C stamping?

How would one come to know about the sponcering employer? If a beneficiary makes a job change before approval & didn't send in an AC21 form. does one has to mention explicitly at the time of stamping that there was a job change? Please clarify.